Ballyhack Golf Club

Blue Ridge 72 6187 yards 71.0 146
Star 72 5637 yards 68.7 139
Star (W) 72 5637 yards 74.8 147
Valley (W) 72 5108 yards 72.5 144

"Check out @theweekendgolfwarrior Instagram for videos/pictures of this course"

thweekendgolfWarrior's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/18/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

This course was fantastic! Check out my instagram account @theweekendgolfwarrior for actual videos and pictures of my round. On Saturday we played the tips which is ~7200 yards and it is very very long. This course really makes you think about your shot. You have to be intentional about club selection and where you want to fly the ball. I personally can crank my drive with the best of them and the fairways are huge. Unfortunately if you are like me and can get a little wonky with your drive you will probably loose some balls in the tall grass. The greens are very fast but if you can spin the ball and/or get height on your approach they are manageable OR putt or chip uphill. The biggest thing is getting on the right section (I call shelf) of the green. If you find yourself on a lower/upper section it will be a difficult 2 putt. The second day the wind was kicking around 20 MPH. We moved up two tee boxes (orange tees) to make the course manageable and glad we did. I had to tee the ball no higher than my driver head and just play a very low roller. I shot within 1 stroke of my first day play. We stayed overnight at the cottages and they are extremely nice. The food at the club house was excellent. Make sure you buy the caddie cheat sheet and ask the pro shop for their cheat sheet. Overall a great experience.

"Most Fun I've ever had on a course"

mrpibb7781's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2017

Despite what some reviewers have wrote, although demanding this course is not the contrived "tricked out" behemoth you expect. If you play from the correct tees every hole is a very good chance of par or better. The vistas are phenomenal and the 4 bedroom cabins quite comfortable (Go to the website and take advantage of their stay and play while you have a chance as I've heard this will no longer be an option soon and the course will revert back to it's previous exclusivity). Despite carding a 12 on the front 9 and 10 on the back I scored quite well here. The greens are expansive and undulating so while a GIR is easy enough to come by, finding yourself on the correct tier can take a few rounds to figure out. There are some blind shots but I didn't find them unfair (Unlike a certain layout by a prominent multiple major winner in Middlefield, CT). The weather was perfect, the course was in great shape and my fiancé and I had the course to ourselves. While not the course for a beginner or a younger player, there are tee boxes for almost every distance level and I highly recommend giving this track a go. Oh, and a shout out to Joe Z, the general manager who was incredibly friendly and accommodating. The ONLY issue, is that I forgot my golf shoes (or thought I did they ended up being under my fiancé's hiking pack in the bed of her truck) and they didn't rent nor have my size to purchase. Oh well. My fault anyway.

I have to go back here soon

Commented on 07/28/2017

Shared on Twitter, do you have a handle? THanks!

"Golf Elevated"

rgratz2000's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Played this course 3 times over 2 days as we stayed in the cottages for nights. This without a doubt a very difficult course and for the average hacker maybe a bit too much but if you like to challenge your game then this is your course. The first 2 holes are fairly easy and gives a good warmup before the fun begins. I found #12 to be the most difficult with 16 a close second due to the approach to a narrow target. The staff could not have been nicer, even staff working on the course would ask how we were enjoying our stay and seemed happy to have us. My wife only rode along and she also found the course to be quite attractive and everyone very nice. If you get a chance to play, do it. The previous reviewer must have been a poor golfer or had a bad day as each hole is well thought out, but if bring your A game and think about position you will be able to score. We have played the greatest courses in Ireland/Scotland and New Zealand/Australia and this ranks right up there. The closest comparison in the states would be Ballyneal in Colorado. Loved it!

"Tricked up. Stupid Design. Ruined a good piece farm land."

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/13/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Let me put this in context. Didn't lose a ball, and there was a steady 15mph wind. The worst design EVER. Where is the windmills & clown mouth. Terrible green complexes. Ex: 215 yd par 3's & greens have 5 foot elevation changes. Why? 6' off greens- unplayable lies. Severely sloped greens. Pristine conditions & a cool membership roster, but overall the course playability is a horrible. A theme park nightmare.

Commented on 03/03/2017

To be certain Ballyhack is not for the below average to average golfer if you are expecting your run of the mill hack and chase or pitch and putt go elsewhere, golf is taken seriously at Ballyhack, the greens are fast, lots of undulations and false fronts, difficult but fair, the state open is held here yearly, why? Because it's challenging and a serious endeavor to beat this course! Brush up your game or stay at the municipal course if you want to not be demoralized because you have no game.

"Best Course in Roanoke Area"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

For a private club - management needs to enforce speed of play better. Was behind a Fivesome for most of the day. That should NEVER be allowed. Made our 4 hour round into a 5 hour round Other than that, the course is spectacular - tough as nails if the wind is blowing. The greens were crazy difficult.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Bucket list"

kbayerlein's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2014
First time playing Used cart

This course is beautiful. I was lucky enough to play and stay at the cottages as a guest. I felt like I was not worthy.<br/> The course is very challenging and intimidating off many of the tees. You will need every club in your bag. Avoid the rough if you can-it's very thick. Uneven lies throughout the fairways. Great elevation changes and tricky greens.<br/> The course is kind of in the middle of nowhere and maybe this is why it does not get more recognition but it should be rated higher by golf digest. Ranked number 7 in the state is a joke. This course is spectacular.<br/> For higher handicappers you have to temper expectations. I am a 16 handicap so I understood to play the right tees from the start...

"This course is great"

Park42er's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2014

The course can be very difficult from the back tees. The slope is 155. However you have multiple tees to choice from to make play very fun. This course is very different from other courses in area due to being links course. You need to play a couple of times to learn the lines for both tee shots and putting. Very fun course that is challenging.

"Eureka"

schweiz's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Why Eureka: the ultimate in golf course challenge and experience. This Lester George design is to be rated on the top ten of any golf enthusiast's bucket list. Yes, it is a fantastic challenge but the rewards after hitting good shots are impressive and memorable. 18 (signature) holes on 250 acres allow for creating unparalleled scenes and impressions.<br/> Here more than ever, select the correct tee box, starting right at the beginning. The course is fair, the conditions perfect. Use of the (available) tips sheet and GPS distance finder are essential to success. Elevation changes throughout the course. Staff is friendly and helpful. Course is strictly private.

"immaculate condition"

nuckles's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

don't know of any course with a higher slope rating. You'd have to be a pro to enjoy playing here. It takes the difficulty rating to a new level.