Rock Harbor Golf Course - Rock

Singles allowed: No

Orange (W) 72 5424 yards 66.2 117
Yellow (W) 72 4684 yards 63.1 110
Green (W) 72 3692 yards N/A N/A

"Still Amazing, Now With Great Conditions"

MizunoBen's avatar
Virginia Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2018
Previously played Walked Hot weather

*This is a combined review for the Rock and Boulder courses*

Rock Harbor GC continues to provide the most creative and unique course layout anywhere in Virginia. And what it lacked in conditioning over the past several months has now improved greatly, making it a must-play destination.

The conditions are noticeably better than my visit last year and far better than what was described by the last reviewer back in May. The greens, fairways, rough and tees are all lush, green, and smooth (though the fairway grass remains too high for some). The course super has clearly put a lot of effort and money into the courses' many bunkers by adding a lot of fluffy sand but the heavy rains from the past few months have been working hard against those efforts. Even still, most of the bunkers are in very good condition.

The layouts of the Rock and Boulder courses remain as different as they are diverse. You’ve never played anything like it here and while some complain that a few holes here and there are tricked up, I see them as a welcome change to the same old designs so many courses employ. Here they really embrace the unique quarry setting and give so much character and identity to a rather humble course.

The cost to play here is right on par with other courses and when you factor in all that you get for that price, the value is easy to see. My recommendation for the best experience is to walk the Rock course and then pay a replay rate for the Boulder course with a cart (and a yardage book!). That plus a bucket of balls will set you back $63, not bad at all for a full day of fun golf!

"Unlike Anything Ever Played"

AThompson015's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2018

This review is only for the Boulder Course at Rock Harbor. I have never played the Rock Course.

I've played hundreds of courses, and I could easily walk away from the Boulder Course and say that it was unlike anything I had ever played before. However, there are positives and negatives to this. There are many holes with incredible views, dramatic elevation changes, and interesting green complexes. The layout is truly one of a kind. On the other hand, there are some holes that are tricked out and pretty ridiculous (I'm looking at you, #3). As others have stated, playing here for the first time involves a LOT of guesswork.

While the layout is unlike any other, the condition simply is not there to match it. Greens had recently been aerated, but some greens were in much better shape than others - some were nearly fully healed and great, while some were really struggling. Weeds and dandelions were everywhere. The bunkers were very poor; unkempt and unedged with weeds popping out. The creativity of the layout mostly made up for the very average condition. If they could improve on the condition of the course, this place could be REALLY special!

If you want to throw yourself a curveball and switch up the routine, definitely go check out the Boulder Course.

"The Most Creative Layout in Virginia"

MizunoBen's avatar
Virginia Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2017
Previously played Walked Hot weather

*This is a combined review for both Rock and Boulder courses*

Rock Harbor Golf Course is a place that will redefine what you consider to be a creative course layout. 36 holes of character, amusement, and style that now even Meadow Farms can’t match.

“Course Layout” is one of six ratings categories here on Golf Advisor but to me, it makes up about a third of my overall grade. If I’m driving a long way and paying a decent amount to be outside in the heat with no shade, it best be entertaining to play. Thankfully, Rock Harbor has course creativity and imagination in spades. There are two 18-hole courses, the Rock course (which I had previously played several times) and the newly completed Boulder course, which I had never played before.

I decided to play them back-to-back, and it was a thrilling experience. The Rock course features a fairly tough island green par-3 (180 yards from the blue tees), a majestic, heart-shaped, 220-yard par-3, and two par-5s that have greens hidden completely from the fairway. By comparison, the Boulder course is more traditional in layout, yet still has two split-fairway par 5s (one of which has a giant bunker in the middle of the green) and two short par-3’s over water. While it’s hard to pick a favorite, I really love the abundance of par-3s and par-5s on the Boulder course (three of each) and the breathtaking view of the adjacent quarry you get as you arrive at its challenging par-3 8th.

A word of caution on the Boulder course for those playing for the first time: it wasn’t available on my golf app, and while the starter gives you VERY detailed course overview, unless you take notes you’ll likely get confused as the course is very much intertwined with the Rock course and yardages are hard to judge. Spend the $6 on a yardage book, it’s very helpful.

Beginners won’t like the number of holes with water in play but may appreciate the relative lack of trees to hit into. Part of what makes the course so unique in its style is the massive boulders sprinkled throughout the course, some in play, many not in play. The level of detail they have put into this course is impressive, especially on the newer Boulder course. For instance, on holes with elevated greens, the flagsticks are a few feet taller so you can see them from further out, a nice touch. Lastly, the fairway “bunkers” they use here are actually flat waste areas thinly covered in finely-crushed gray gravel. They can be quite large but are easy to hit out of.

My biggest gripe (and it’s pretty minor) during my round was course conditions. They are far from bad, but in the past I’ve criticized a course for having a bland layout that didn’t match the immaculate conditions and here I feel the fantastic style and layout of the course demands top-notch conditions. For the price you pay, the conditions are fair. The greens are semi-fast with the perfect severity of slope in the undulations. However, the bunkers are just ok and for the first 12 holes I played, I couldn’t tell if I had landed my ball in the fairway or rough; the grass was that high! Thankfully, they eventually got the mowers out and things improved. One thing I did appreciate during my 90+ degree round was the many water points that always had full coolers and even buckets to dip your towel in.

The staff here is friendly and detailed in pre-round instruction. Walking is permitted on both courses but only recommended for the Rock course. Pace of play was very good on the day I played, even though I saw many people on the course I was never held up in 36 holes.

GolfNow deals don’t appear to be available anymore but I paid under $60 to walk 18 and then replay with a cart, not bad at all. Off-course amenities are also excellent with not only a driving range but also a pitching range, big practice green, and great food.

Winchester is a decent drive for most people but it’s well worth it to me. I live over an hour away and I always come up at least once a year. Play this course, and have fun!

Commented on 07/22/2017

Shared on IG. thanks!

"this course has lot of water"

Bpellath023's avatar
Age:  Under 25

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2015
Previously played Played as a single Walked Played 9 holes Average weather

good course lots of water though great course to play if you not a beginner

"PACE OF PLAY"

bigmth8's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather

Tee time was 9:00 a.m. on Saturday May 2 with 8 golfers. Made the turn at 12:10. Spoke with the Marshall who informed my group that we haven't seen slow play yet. Course was great but a 3 hour side is the reason they will never see me again.

"Stunning Course, But Under Construction"

wjpolender's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2014

My wife and I tried out Rock Harbor Golf Course this week, and found it to be memorable. A second 18 is in the process of being added, though it wasn’t clear to me which it was, as we were sent out to play “The Boulder’s” front nine and “The Rock’s” back nine. All of the course seemed to me to be under construction still, to varying degrees. There’s a lot of driving between holes, and though it is beautiful out there and the riding is fun, it is awfully confusing despite there being a lot of temporary signage and a staff of (wonderful) marshalls out there directing traffic. More than once we ended up nose to nose with other carts on a cart path, we were able to reason out which of two pins to shoot at on a large double green (Boulder #4), and on #18 a marshall arrived just in time to tell us “no, not that tee box”. We experienced some good natured “do you have the treasure map” from other lost groups, but also wore the patience of some folks behind us who clearly knew where they were going. Surprisingly and very unfortunately, we suffered from lack of any sort of “treasure map”. A range card; a score card with hole layouts; even a hole diagram on each tee box would have been helpful, particularly as there are a lot of elevation changes leading to blind shots. I’m sure these things are coming. Range markers on the fairways are scarce, and for some reason our normally reliable Skycaddie GPS seemed as confused as we were. www.rockharborgolf.com has a really super virtual tour of each hole, and as we did have an I-pad with us we tried to make some use of it, but we had folks behind us and it just wasn’t practical to spend much time looking at it.

The course itself is spectacular – I mean it is really going to be something! Each hole presents unique challenges, though again you lose a lot of it if isn’t clear to you what the challenges are until you are in them. One of a kind highlights for me were the artificial turf tee boxes off lake platforms on Rock #12, and the super-elevated tee on Rock #17. I was looking forward to the island par three, but that was not on our dance card. The “unfinished” aspects of the course are esthetics; the ground itself is quite ready and in excellent shape all around. The rough is thick. The greens are enormous, heavily contoured, and wicked fast. I came in seven over my handicap, and felt real lucky to do so. In my opinion it is a very difficult course to score on.

I certainly look forward to playing this course again. I only hope it is not priced out of my reach when it is “finished”.

"Windy"

Willijam2's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 5/12/2014

It was very windy on this day. The course was a bit challenging to navigate. Follow the color arrows.

"Strategic jewel"

takujiy2009's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Walked Played 9 holes Excellent weather

After walking boulder course, I decided to make a 9 holes in rock course with twilight walking. The rock course is easy for walking compared to boulder course. The layout is tricky with waste bunker, mounted green and some water hazards. The layout is very beautiful and worth for travelling. The hole 13 and 14 is extremely blind layout, some golfers might feel the course is not fair. I totally recommend rock course layout is better than boulder for 220 driver golfers. Also 17th green with heart shaped is worth visiting.

"Still under construction."

takujiy2009's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Boulder course is still under construction, though they have beautiful and challenging layouts. Some holes have surroundings of greens with nightmare, with evil layout and never stopping slope into the pound. The course is well maintained with smooth green, maintained fairway and thick rough. Actually, you will have the same 9 holes twice even you paid 18 holes. Some holes have long approach between the holes - especially hole 1&2 and replayed 10&11 - it takes around a mile. I anticipate to have a round after all construction is made, but I strongly advise that this is not walking facility.

"Best course I've been on"

Adam7041321's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/26/2013

Place was beautiful boulder course under construction but will be a full 18 next year will definitely be back next year to play both courses once they are finished renovating. Definitely recommend to any caliber player

"This course needs a new greens keeper"

TRH1's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2013

Overall Rock Harbor is a very fine course. The poor condition of it's greens makes it only average!

"course is in great shape and the greens are challenging"

aarptaxman's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2013

the boulder course will be evn better once the remaining fairways and greens are developed

"Great course. Can't wait till it's finished"

Patirck9325581's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2013

Extremely friendly staff. Good course conditions, the course is not yet finished but the finished holes were very playable and challenging. Excellent value for the money, great area. Worth the drive to Winchester.

"A challenging, beautiful, economical course."

TrentonClark's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2013

Great time, beautiful location and friendly staff. Worth every penny.

"The Rock Course at Rock harbor is in a beautiful natural setting at Winchester,Va and allows for a peaceful and very enjoyable golf outing"

virgogolf4805's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2013

The course is above average in difficulty. On some of the holes, it definitely challenges you to focus on best effort in order to scorel. The rough is beautiful but devastating to your club head and requires careful attention and execution. Greens require astute putting reads and best effort putting stroke else you fall prey to the elevation and undulation pitfalls. I highly recommend this course to all golfers who are looking for gorgeous natural surroundings and challenging hole layout. .

"consistent better than average condition. some trick holes. do not play the Boulder course. you will spend too much time trying to find the next tee"

vopro's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/6/2013

Play the rock course only. If u play the boulder course u will spend time simply trying to find the next tee box. On boulder course you play 7 or 8 holes twice. Once this course finishes completion of all 36 holes I would suggest playing either course. For now only play the Rock. Refer the boulder to people u don't like! Lol<br/> One last thing this course is well maintained at 7500 yards from the black tees, you will cherish all pars and covet any birdies.

"AMAZING views at this course!!!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2013

This was my first playing at this course. It was fun and challenging at the same time. There are actually 2 courses there. We played the "Rock" course, which was the course that had all 18 holes open for play. The "boulder" course was open but not all 18 holes. They had some holes under construction, but if you played that section, you would double back to some holes that had 2 pin locations on the green. I have no doubt that when those holes are done with their construction that the "boulder" course will be fantastic too. There are so many things to look at, from the very well maintained fairways, to the bridges over the ponds, and the spectacular rock features they have. I have just got back into golf after about a 10 year break, and this course is one of my favorites so far. I will absolutely be back to play again at this course.

"Amateur design"

ShanksJr's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/30/2013

Everything about my experience Rock Harbor was very good except the design of the Boulder Course. There are some good holes but it's so extreme in spots that I would have a hard time believing a professional architect designed it. I've heard good things about the Rock Course and will give that a try one day. But count me out on the Boulder. (And I'm a guy that likes Tobacco Road!)

"Was the most fun and unique course we've ever played and we've played golf in 42 states!"

GolfingGolfing's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/27/2013

We absolutely adored this course. The only downside was they had punched the greens 2 weeks prior.

"Interesting layout."

vanottey's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/23/2013

Many blind greens. Interesting. Fun. Nicely laid out. Didn't spend much time looking for lost balls. 3 memorable holes. No complaints; and I often have them.