Gray Eagle Golf Club & Academy

Year Built 2001

Dress code No tank tops, cut-off shorts or turf shoes allowed. Shirt and shoes must be worn at all times.

For November

What a wonderful course! The staff was accomodating. It was windy/wet for Indiana, but that is expected. The lay-out is great, and getting ready to get even better. They are planning a $2M upgrade.

Good value

Course in good shape for late season play
No Aeration holes to worry about on greens

Great Value

Made it back!

Had not played this course for a few years. Really enjoyed it today, and it was in good condition. Will go back again.

dusty's take

This was the first time playing this course. I found it difficult to navigate the course because the signage was minimal to nonexistent getting from hole to hole.
The cart paths are so far away from the greens that in many cases you can't see them if you didn't drive up on them.
It was a little windy and the course was wet from an over night rain that was evidently heavier than the staff was aware of.

Great value for the money

Greens were in great shape and the only disappointment was the pace of play....it shouldn’t take 4:30 minutes to play this golf course and didn’t have anyone out moving the slow groups ahead of us along...

Can’t wait to come back

Very nice course that plays through some beautiful wooded areas. Pace was perfect for just 2 of us. We never waited on anybody and nobody ever had to wait on us. Some of the tee boxes were pretty chewed up but overall the whole course is amazing. Will definitely be back soon

Pleasant surprise

Played a few months ago. Ok shape. This morning - great improvement! Course in great condition, grass green, grown in, greens in decent shape, just need aeration. Well done!! Keep it up!

Indy Advisor

Another January Round

I was able to sneak out while the weather was nice after the frigid month we've had. I found the course to be saturated, which is to be expected after the melting snow and rain. But it is something to note in-season when we do have soaking rains - maybe let it dry out a few days before playing it. I plugged balls on 3 greens on the back, and most steps around the course produced water.

But, it was January, and they were open, and in good shape even with the wetness and cold weather. Looks like they are updating the range as well, which has always been one of the best around. The course routes through a neighborhood and has some challenging holes if you spray, but it's not the hardest course around (or easiest to be fair).

Indy Advisor

Decent Course

The course has a nice layout running through a neighborhood, but the houses are never really close. It's in decent shape after the rain, though some of the greens have some small bare spots, and a few look like they may have a disease or something forming on them. All of the greens could've used a mow and/or a roll as they were slow - jam it at the middle from anywhere variety of slow. Fairways were in good shape and bounced huge, so some of the drives we thought were solid wound up bouncing through them. Course knowledge will help that in the future, but be aware of the subtle small lakes and doglegs around the course your first time through. Use the cart GPS to help around the course, and also to find the first tee since it's nowhere near the club house.

The course also has a nice driving range and practice facility. All-in-all you could do a lot worse around here. I like it better than it's sister course Ironwood. Book on their website to save a few bucks since they use dynamic pricing.

Great people and great course. I played with my 6yr old who gets trained here. Very friendly.

We had a great time!

My brother and I wanted to get out and play a new course to us on probably the last 'good weather' day of the Fall. We really enjoyed the colors as it is a beautiful course. We joined the pair following us on the back. Sure helps having local expertise on avoiding trouble! We had a great time and will definitely come back in the Spring!

nice experience

Good weather and course conditions made for a good day of golf. Only headache was battling leaves on fairways.

A Fall Day

We caught Gray EAgle on a very nice fall day --sunny and temperature in the 60's. The course is playing very well for this time of year. The greens were a little hard and would not hold and the putting surface very fast. But othrewise the course is in good shape and a good value

Just about right for $19

With such a nice layout, Gray Eagle could be an excellent venue. The problem is either course greens keepers or management don't seem to care. I've played this course nearly 50 times over the past 8 years, only because I live fairly close by. While the course shape is better this year than in the past 4-5, I'll bet it's more to do with our cooler/wetter summer than course management taking better care of the facility.

The only reason I played yesterday was because of the GolfNow green fee of $19. It is not worth more than $20 on any given day. I shot a 93. The reasons are plentiful.

1. The greens do not roll true from hole to hole. There are numerous holes, marks, brown spots and Cicada Killer burrows on three holes on the back nine.
2. The bunkers are not sand. They are dirt or hard pan. It is not a test of golf skill but luck to get out of them with a decent putt opportunity.
3. The course uses little flags positioned up and down the pin to determine pin location. They also have a pin position number noted on each hole on the scorecard. The pin position number is not accurate. I suspect they select a pin position number for the day, but the greens maintenance team do not adhere to this when setting up the holes.
4. Yardage markers are non-existent on the tee boxes and barely existent on each hole. Without a range finder or gps you will have no idea your distance on any shot.
5. Tee boxes are shredded and uneven. Good luck finding an small area to place your tee let alone stand without being in a hole or on slanted ground.

Although not a regular experience, one other thing happened yesterday that I am compelled to mention. I pre-paid for a 3-some at a great rate through GolfNow. It turned out that one of my 3 could not make it. I asked the man who checked me in to give this paid round to the next single who came in and ask him/her to join us if interested. While we were on the first tee getting warmed up a single showed up. I asked if he got his round for free. He said he did not. I believe Gray Eagle chose to charge him the regular rate rather than meet my request to increase some daily green fee take in. Rather unsporty if you ask me.

I don't typically write reviews, and certainly not ones of this length. I only do so in hopes that the pro or management at Gray Eagle will see this and start to rethink their strategy to attract golfers. There are far too many courses in the area, and they're philosophy is not working.

Fishers, Indiana