Gray Eagle Golf Club

Scorecard for Gray Eagle Golf Club & Academy
Gold M: 72.4/131 530 414 165 568 227 464 422 158 524 3472 565 206 336 110 400 385 415 360 490 3267 6739
Blue M: 70.7/128 508 400 156 542 182 431 400 150 516 3285 545 199 315 105 380 375 388 341 484 3132 6417
White M: 69.0/123 488 381 132 520 155 401 379 131 497 3084 510 189 305 95 368 357 365 304 465 2958 6042
Red W: 70.3/124 420 356 114 453 135 342 302 96 460 2678 442 155 270 85 340 312 350 249 408 2611 5289

Year Built 2001

Dress code No tank tops, cut-off shorts or turf shoes allowed. Shirt and shoes must be worn at all times.

Indy Advisor

Another January Round

I was able to sneak out while the weather was nice after the frigid month we've had. I found the course to be saturated, which is to be expected after the melting snow and rain. But it is something to note in-season when we do have soaking rains - maybe let it dry out a few days before playing it. I plugged balls on 3 greens on the back, and most steps around the course produced water.

But, it was January, and they were open, and in good shape even with the wetness and cold weather. Looks like they are updating the range as well, which has always been one of the best around. The course routes through a neighborhood and has some challenging holes if you spray, but it's not the hardest course around (or easiest to be fair).

Indy Advisor

Decent Course

The course has a nice layout running through a neighborhood, but the houses are never really close. It's in decent shape after the rain, though some of the greens have some small bare spots, and a few look like they may have a disease or something forming on them. All of the greens could've used a mow and/or a roll as they were slow - jam it at the middle from anywhere variety of slow. Fairways were in good shape and bounced huge, so some of the drives we thought were solid wound up bouncing through them. Course knowledge will help that in the future, but be aware of the subtle small lakes and doglegs around the course your first time through. Use the cart GPS to help around the course, and also to find the first tee since it's nowhere near the club house.

The course also has a nice driving range and practice facility. All-in-all you could do a lot worse around here. I like it better than it's sister course Ironwood. Book on their website to save a few bucks since they use dynamic pricing.

Great people and great course. I played with my 6yr old who gets trained here. Very friendly.

We had a great time!

My brother and I wanted to get out and play a new course to us on probably the last 'good weather' day of the Fall. We really enjoyed the colors as it is a beautiful course. We joined the pair following us on the back. Sure helps having local expertise on avoiding trouble! We had a great time and will definitely come back in the Spring!

nice experience

Good weather and course conditions made for a good day of golf. Only headache was battling leaves on fairways.

A Fall Day

We caught Gray EAgle on a very nice fall day --sunny and temperature in the 60's. The course is playing very well for this time of year. The greens were a little hard and would not hold and the putting surface very fast. But othrewise the course is in good shape and a good value

Just about right for $19

With such a nice layout, Gray Eagle could be an excellent venue. The problem is either course greens keepers or management don't seem to care. I've played this course nearly 50 times over the past 8 years, only because I live fairly close by. While the course shape is better this year than in the past 4-5, I'll bet it's more to do with our cooler/wetter summer than course management taking better care of the facility. The only reason I played yesterday was because of the GolfNow green fee of $19. It is not worth more than $20 on any given day. I shot a 93. The reasons are plentiful. 1. The greens do not roll true from hole to hole. There are numerous holes, marks, brown spots and Cicada Killer burrows on three holes on the back nine. 2. The bunkers are not sand. They are dirt or hard pan. It is not a test of golf skill but luck to get out of them with a decent putt opportunity. 3. The course uses little flags positioned up and down the pin to determine pin location. They also have a pin position number noted on each hole on the scorecard. The pin position number is not accurate. I suspect they select a pin position number for the day, but the greens maintenance team do not adhere to this when setting up the holes. 4. Yardage markers are non-existent on the tee boxes and barely existent on each hole. Without a range finder or gps you will have no idea your distance on any shot. 5. Tee boxes are shredded and uneven. Good luck finding an small area to place your tee let alone stand without being in a hole or on slanted ground. Although not a regular experience, one other thing happened yesterday that I am compelled to mention. I pre-paid for a 3-some at a great rate through GolfNow. It turned out that one of my 3 could not make it. I asked the man who checked me in to give this paid round to the next single who came in and ask him/her to join us if interested. While we were on the first tee getting warmed up a single showed up. I asked if he got his round for free. He said he did not. I believe Gray Eagle chose to charge him the regular rate rather than meet my request to increase some daily green fee take in. Rather unsporty if you ask me. I don't typically write reviews, and certainly not ones of this length. I only do so in hopes that the pro or management at Gray Eagle will see this and start to rethink their strategy to attract golfers. There are far too many courses in the area, and they're philosophy is not working.

whatever

This course is great. Instead of telling you actual yardage they let you guess. What a cool feature. Who knows how far out you are, let's just hit a club and see what happens. No distance markers, always in terrible condition.

Great Condition Following Rain

We played Gray Eagle after significant rains. I felt the course and especially the greens were in tremendous shape. I typically don't provide reviews but Gray Eagle deserves accolades this time. We did play 18 and I did not have food so the review should be N/A in that regard. I shot 39-39 and I attribute that to great greens that rolled true and really great fairways that gave you nice lies almost 100% of the time. It was a Hot Deal at an exceptional price and the gentleman that set us up was very polite and welcoming. This was probably my best trip to Gray Eagle and one of the best playing locations all year.

gray eagle

Played twighlight and had no pressure on pace. Fun quick outing.

Decent course for Hamilton County

There are a lot of courses in the Hamilton County area. I play this one about once every few years. It has some challenging holes. The downside is what they charge for green fees. A little pricey for what you get. It is strictly location driven.

Good Course

First time playing Grey Eagle and we really enjoyed it. The course was in great shape and the staff was very friendly. Great mix of holes and fun to play.

Golf the day after a lot of rain

The crew at Grey Eagle did a great job getting the course ready to play. Although all the bunkers were water hazards the rest of the course was in great shape. I felt I got a great value for the money and didn't have to wait on any hole. Cart path only made play a little slower, especially because you can't see the fairway well from the path on many holes...which is tough for club slection. Great day overall.

Check your directions beforehand (don't rely on GolfNow)

I booked a last minute tee-time for 2:20 p.m. I thought I was getting there with 10 minutes to spare to meet my boss - until I discovered GolfNow's GPS was taking me to Ironwood!! : ( By the time I got to Gray Eagle (about 10 minutes away) my boss had already called asking where I was, we didn't tee off until 2:40 p.m. and wound up bunching up with the next two singles behind us who both joined us for a foursome.

Good layout and well maintained greens

Course was well maintained from tee box to greens. Nice layout and had enjoyable afternoon in a round lasting less than 3 and 1/2 hours.

Very average

Course is routed through a housing development. Tee boxes were in rough shape and the greens had lots of unrepaired ball marks. Too few porta-potties and no beverage service on the course other than a couple of water kegs.

Nice Layout,A challange but not to difficult

The course was wet which means not much roll on fairways. If you play on this course in wet conditions its best to tee up one tee closer or you will have long irons or woods on some of the longer par 4,s.the pace of play was slow but did improve on back greens have a lot of ball marks which makes putting a challenge. For that reason i probably will not return.It was a great value thru golfnow

Interesting/diverse course layout

Quite a variety to the course layout. Each hole very unique. Some distances between clubhouse to first tee, returning to clubhouse between 9th and 10th holes, and between some of the holes lends to necessitating cart usage. Also a variety of difficulty to the holes. Some play easy and short, others are lengthy distances, narrower, and more challenging. All in all, I like the course...but could use 1 or 2 permanent restrooms to replace the port-a-potties.

algonquin38

Have played here a few times. This course is always in good shape. This time it seemed that too many players before us do not repair ball marks on the greens. Not the courses fault, but it was an issue. Overall it is a fair test and a fun course.

Fishers, Indiana