The Arnold Palmer Signature Course At Stonewall Resort

Blue/White 72 6015 yards 69.1 127
Black (W) 72 5297 yards 71.7 130
King 72 2568 yards
Scorecard for The Arnold Palmer
Palmer M: 75.4/143 403 182 424 604 429 166 580 417 424 3629 164 439 542 450 321 371 210 455 568 3520 7149
Gold M: 73.2/141 379 175 402 574 395 143 555 402 401 3426 159 409 519 429 302 346 193 427 516 3300 6726
Blue M: 70.0/131 337 168 376 537 356 129 528 368 367 3166 139 383 504 400 275 305 173 395 487 3061 6227
White M: 68.3/122 W: 74.5/134 300 148 359 522 328 124 500 358 353 2992 125 324 453 386 249 292 153 376 471 2829 5821
Black M: 66.1/117 W: 71.7/130 265 141 320 486 293 106 443 349 333 2736 96 300 351 235 261 131 344 435 435 2588 5324
Red M: 64.6/115 W: 69.6/127 239 141 291 457 273 106 412 324 297 2540 96 300 382 193 241 107 315 419 419 2472 5012
King W: 68.0/124 118 92 148 243 148 94 226 145 151 1365 95 155 197 106 124 94 165 245 245 1426 2791

Year Built 2002
Golf Season Year round. High Season: April 30th - October 16th
Architect Arnold Palmer (2002) Ed Seay (2002)

Pull-carts No

Challenging

Raining one day and hot another when we played but still challenging. Pay attention to yardage as some holes deceiving.

Perfect fall day

Had an absolute blast playing the course. Played it for the second time this year and it did not disappoint. The only reason I gave 3 stars for course conditions was 3 greens were undergoing some work so the flag was placed in front with a white circle I guess representing the putting surface. I understand the need for greens to get some maintenance from time to time especially on mountain courses where it is a little tougher but paying full price for only 15 true greens seemed like a little bit of a rip off. Will definitely come back next year though, staff was as friendly as could be. Love the area.

Commented On 03/01/2017

Thank you for visiting us and playing our course. I am glad you enjoyed your round, even though three of the greens were closed. It was not by choice , but out of necessity to allow them to grow back in after a particularly horrid summer. As a result we reduced our normal rate for that time of year by almost 50% to reflect the tough conditions.

We are addressing some of the environmental issues for each of those green sites, but Mother Nature is the ultimate influencer. The mild winter has been kind to our recovery efforts. We do look forward to your return this season. Thanks again for enjoying our facility.

HIDDEN GEM

I have played Stonewall a few times. Being the mountains of West Virginia the course is relatively flat. The course has one of the best layouts you will ever play. Each hole is very unique. Each hole is separate from the rest of the course which makes for a very quiet and relaxing round of golf. GPS on the carts helps a lot when playing for the first time. The course conditions were outstanding even though its been a rough summer. We had 12 in our group and all were very impressed. The practice area is one of he best. I love practicing on natural grass before the round. Can't wait to go back.

Commented On 03/01/2017

Thank you for the comments and the understanding for the weather conditions we endured.

Great design - Recommend with reservations

I played the Stonewall Resort course on 9/18/15. The par 72 course is advertised as an Arnold Palmer signature course. The design was outstanding. Every hole was different from any other and presented unique and scenic, but fair challenges. Stonewall Resort is part of the West Virginia state park system and there is a large lake and resort on site. I did not stay there, but stopped on my way along I-79 to Pittsburgh. The course is located about 4 miles off I-79 and was easy to find. I played the gold/blue tee combination which is one of nine tees or combinations available. The gold/blue tees play to 6,455 yards with a rating of 71.5 and slope of 137. The various tee combinations play from 7,149 yards to a short course of 2,568 yards. Service I had passed the exit this course was off of many times over the last eight years and never had time to stop and play. I called from the road the day I played and left a message on the pro shop voice mail asking about the chance of playing and they called back within 10 minutes and invited me over. The pro shop attendant, cart attendants, and starter all were very friendly. The pro shop employee informed me that there was no drinking water on the course and that the beverage cart was probably on her final round for the day. He encouraged me to buy some water or drinks to take with me which turned out to be good advice. When I talked to the starter, he was a very friendly gentleman but kept encouraging me to play the white tees of 5,821yards since I had never played there before. I found it strange that he never asked my experience or handicap but seemed very insistent that I should play the shorter tees. I went with my gut and played the tees at a yardage that I was consistently playing at my home club. The course did start with somewhat of a blind tee shot but there was a very good GPS on the cart that showed yardages, design, hazards, etc. Overall Condition I was stunned at the condition of the course in a negative way. They had obviously aerated not too long ago, which is not unusual, but there were an inordinate number of bare spots in the fairways and around the greens that I found disappointing for such a grand design. And even for a green that had been aerated, I was surprised that the surface had not been smoothed out somewhat and that the chance of a putt going true were absolutely zero. The front nine was in worse shape than the back nine. The back nine seemed to have fewer bare spots in the fairways and around the greens. Clubhouse/Amenities This course has a restaurant, clubhouse, driving range, and practice green. I had no time to use the driving range or any of the other facilities. The clubhouse does have a nice porch around it from which you have a nice view of the course and the park. Value I played the course on an afternoon rate of $68.90 which was the after 2:00 rate. The regular rack rate was $94 plus tax. I was very disappointed at the conditioning of the course and the fact they were charging top rates. Had the design not been so strong and the holes so unique, I would have been even more disappointed. They have what should be a great course that does not live up to the conditioning they advertise. I’m glad I played it but disappointed that I would not be in a hurry to play it again. I have been part of their email mailing list for at least a year with the thought of maybe staying there someday for a weekend. In the current condition, I would have been very upset had I done so based on the email representations. In summation, I think Arnold would be proud of his design but disappointed in its appearance.

Commented On 03/03/2017

Thanks for visiting us and playing our course. I am sorry your experience did not meet your expectations. I can address your condition concerns. During the previous months prior to your arrival we experienced heavy rains in our fairways and then tremendous heat before the water had enough time to drain. This is called scald. Basically, the turf plant boiled to death thus creating those bare areas. Those areas have been re-seeded and allowed, by weather conditions, to grow back in. We experienced the scalding event again in 2016 as well, but not as severe.

Regarding spots around greens; these were created by years of mechanical damage and the harsh weather that summer. We have since re-sodded around the greens to ensure the defined edge between collar and rough is clear and turf is playable.

Recovery from aerating greens is truly weather dependent. I am sorry that you felt the greens were not smooth enough. We do take great care to have our greens still puttable as they are recovering from aeration.

I do look forward to your return and chance to enjoy the course again.

Great Secluded Course

This is an incredible course that is hidden away in the mountains of WV. There is a lot of wildlife that you will see on this Arnold Palmer course. It's very well maintained and a lot of fun to play. Definitely play if you get the chance.

Commented On 03/03/2017

We are glad you enjoyed playing the course.

We look forward to your return.

Great tournament course, fantastic views

If your game is off, you will lose balls in the high grass just off the fairways, but there's no denying this is a great test of golf. Just bring plenty of balls, play lost balls as lateral and enjoy the ride. Built around Stonewall Jackson Lake, there are elevated tees, doglegs, greens with plenty of movement and a great variety of holes. Plus, the staff has put great effort in recent years to improve drainage, firm up the fairways and generally provide excellent playing conditions. Coupled with the Stonewall Resort, it's a terrific destination experience.

Commented On 03/03/2017

Thank you for the positive comments. We have continued install drainage and apply fairway topdressing in an effort to firm up our fairways. Also, we continually address micro-environments around our greens that have challenges.

We look forward to your return visit.

great course

Great course beautiful views. Excellent staff. Liked it so well had to play it again before I left. The resort was great as well

Commented On 03/03/2017

Thanks for the positive comments. Glad you enjoyed playing the course.

Please come back again.