The Tattersall Youth Development Center at The First Tee Chesterfield Golf Course, as well as the First Tee of Richmond, was established to provide educational golf programs for junior players. This comprehensive learning facility includes an 18-hole golf course, a three-hole practice loop, a large grass practice tee, a putting green, and a short-game practice area. There's also a staff of qualified coaches and golf instructors that can help you improve your score no matter what your weakness is. As a learning course, it might not be what low handicappers are looking for if they want a challenge, but it's a perfect place for beginners and high handicappers to get some practice with the game. The layout is very forgiving with wide-open fairways that offer plenty of room. The greens are fast and sometimes framed with bunkers. There are several par-3 holes that will give you a chance to work on your short game.
The Tattersall Youth Development Center at The First Tee Chester
Masters 66 4604 yards 62.4 105
US Open 66 4206 yards 60.6 100
PGA 66 3836 yards 59.5 98
Amateur 66 3382 yards 58.2 95
Amateur (W) 66 3382 yards 58.8 99
Scorecard for Chesterfield
Black M: 62.4/105 155 159 350 174 455 302 120 133 443 2291 188 310 170 374 120 135 421 279 320 2317 4608
White M: 60.6/100 W: 63.6/110 128 144 322 158 425 285 100 112 398 2072 170 285 155 344 110 127 388 244 311 2134 4206
Blue M: 59.5/98 118 130 280 142 400 271 86 105 383 1915 143 255 136 309 105 100 364 229 280 1921 3836
Yellow M: 58.2/95 W: 58.8/99 107 103 242 129 366 251 70 85 330 1683 116 232 120 276 93 83 339 205 235 1699 3382

Year Built 2000
Architect Lester George (2000)

Carts Yes - $12

Golf Simulator Yes
Practice Hole Yes

Single Allowed No

Good course for the price

The course is rather challenging and the fairways were in good shape. The greens were a little tattered but this was mainly due to players not fixing divots. Overall, it is good value for a round of golf

Poor service

I came to course after bookings 950 am tee time for 18 holes. I arrived at 920 to warm up. I stood at the counter for 20 minutes as no one was inside. All the staff was out back doing other things. Once someone came inside I was told we that they had an event in the afternoon so I could only play 9 holes. I was told that there was no way for the course to indicate this on golf now reservations. I have played this course over 30 times in the past and the staff has normally been ok. I am a member at a near by club and like to play this course to work on items in my game. I will NOT return to this course as I felt like I was interuppting the staff and they were not concerned about finding a way to make this right.

Virginia Advisor

A Great Junior Course For All Ages

Tucked away in a recreational park of North Chesterfield, this course offers 18 short holes that are fun for the whole family. Although it’s geared towards developing the First Tee youth golf program, I didn’t find this course a total push-over when played from the tips. Combine that with a relatively good value and decent conditions compared with other local courses and this could very well become my go-to course for working out the kinks or just scratching that golf itch.

The par-66 course measure just 4700 yards but don’t expect to be birdieing every hole. The layout is more interesting and diverse than the short par-3 course at Independence or those at Windy Hill for about the same price. The greens may not be as fast or smooth as Independence but overall they keep the course well-maintained, and right now it’s in noticeably better shape than nearby Providence GC and costs a lot less too. Being an instruction-focused facility, there are some really nice practice areas here too and pace of play is very good as you’d expect.

I would definitely recommend this course for someone just looking to bone up on their game without spending a lot of money, it’s a fun little course.

Great little course

Any course that does as much as this one does for kids needs support, and any time in Va. I will be back to play again

Good Learning Course

Went to play this course while visiting my son. He hadn't played in over year so wanted to go somewhere where he could enjoy himself. This course has an abundance of par 3s and the par 5s are actually just long par 4s. Fairly easy course as it is a teaching facility. Greens are exceptionally fast and don't hold very well. Was disappointed that there is no alcohol on premises as it caters to minors. Fun outing for players who are timid about playing with experienced players. If you're looking for a challenge wouldn't choose this course, but a nice experience all the same.

Tattersall Golf Outing

Staff was freiendly, Course was nice and enjoyed playing it for the first time.

Commented On 12/31/2017

Thank you for your review! We look forward to having you out again in the near future!

The greens are TOOOO Fast

Got stuck behind 2 groups of walkers that werent letting us play through, was told to wait 40 mins before starting. the play speed was slow until they got out the way guessing they were on a shotgun play. The greens were way too fast putter head only moved about 4 inches and the ball went 10 feet.

Commented On 12/31/2017

We're sorry you didn't have a great experience at our course. It appears you played on a Wednesday, which is our Senior League day, which probably explains the wait. We strive to get players on the course as soon as possible after the league, and we apologize if we got it wrong this time. We hope you'll give us another chance to earn your business and show you a great golf experience!

Great Course, Poor Staff Friendliness

I really enjoyed playing this course a lot and had a lot of fun doing it. The greens were fun to putt on and a bit challenging for a beginner like myself. My only problem with this course was the staff friendliness. One of the staff members was really awesome and even let me play a few extra holes after the designated "cart return time" and i really appreciated that. However upon walking into the pro shop the man behind the desk was deep in conversation with somebody and did not even acknowledge me, After about five minutes of standing around and browsing I just stood and waited, finally he decided to ask if needed anything and I said " yes id like to play 18 holes and warm up with a bag." He started doing his thing and then i asked "Do you have any discounts for military or veterans?" The mans response made me quite angry for he had such a bad attitude that i would even ask about a discount on twilight hours. he shook his head in disgust and after that question treated me like a complete and total moron, not being able to hide his need to get back to conversing with the man standing behind me at the counter. Further more upon finishing my warm up and heading to the starter shack, the starter was quite rude and had a cigarette blazing as i was trying to talk to her. She seemed angry I was trying to play 18 holes at 5:00pm and proceeded to have a bad attitude about where the first tee was.

I really liked this course, it was super pretty, warm up areas are on point, greens roll nice, and tee boxes are in good shape. my only problem is the staff. Seriously just lighten up a bit, and be nicer to your customers. I would rate this Five stars if they treated patrons with genuine courtesy and respect.

Commented On 12/31/2017

We would like to apologize for your poor experience with our staff here at The Tattersall Youth Development Center at The First Tee Chesterfield Golf Course. We pride ourselves on offering friendly and inclusive customer service at all times, but we must have let our guard down here. Your feedback has been noted and the appropriate staff members have been made aware so that this will not be repeated. Thank you for your feedback - it allows us to get better every day!

This is a great course for players that are new to the game. The lay out is geared more towards younger players with a lot of short holes. It plays a lot like an executive course.

Virginia Advisor

Short but fun

Great course for beginners, walkers and very good instructional facility. Overall course in good shape . Look for hot deals on golfnow and can be very affordable. Always play short, any trouble around greens is long.

Standard Muni

I've been to First Tee of Chesterfield several times, and my experience has been pretty similar each time. The course has a good layout, and tee boxes and fairways are well kept. But greens leave a lot to be desired as people don't fix their ball marks, so there are pockmarks all along the green. Also, its possible to get stuck being extremely slow golfers who won't allow you to play through, so be prepared to skip a hole or two if you like to keep up pace of play. Other than this, staff are very friendly, course is fun, and the price makes it all worth your while.

Good beginner course for youth

Course not in the greatest shape. Bunker rough terrible shape. Greens fair, but extremely wet and slow, despite minimal rain over last few days. Over watering? Young staff in clubhouse very professional and helpful. Rates steep for overall experience. Was disappointed when I was informed GolfNow rate was actually more than twilight rate. The gave me the twilight rate, but only after GolfNow collected their fee.

Commented On 12/31/2017

Thank you for your thoughts. Your feedback has been logged and we will use it to continually improve the experience we offer our patrons!

Great Course!

The First Tee at Chesterfield is a perfect course for transitioning from par 3 to a regular 18 hole golf course. This course is in excellent condition! All 18 greens were in nearly perfect condition (just some ball marks) play fast and are consistent. The tees are also in extremely good condition as well as the fairways. This well maintained course is also fun to play as well. I will definitely be coming back in the near future.

Commented On 12/31/2017

We're glad you enjoyed our facility! Thanks for the 5 star review and we will continue to strive to earn more just like it in the future!

Great Place, Great Staff

I have played this course dozens of times over the past 5 years. This course will give you all the challenge you need if you're an intermediate golfer. Plus, you can get a challenging game on a course that doesn't take 5 hours to play. Especially noteworthy is the staff; they're friendly, courteous and always willing to go the extra mile to help. Paul Seargent and Keith Jarrell, the PGA pros are personable, knowledgeable and, as importantly, have a genuine interest in their students enjoyment of the game A country club this isn't. As a great place to play a quick round this can't be beat

Commented On 12/31/2017

Thank you for the kind review! We will continue to work to earn your business in the future!

This is a great course if you need to get in a quick round

this is the most challenging 66 hole course you will ever play. well designed and fun to play

Commented On 12/31/2017

Thank you for the great review! We'll look forward to having you back soon!

Great Staff

Golf Pro is super. First Tee is always first class for help with instruction and advice!

Commented On 12/31/2017

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Nice day on the course

The course was busy the Friday after New Years with the weather being decent and many people off work for the day. Every hole had someone on it but pace of play wasn't too bad at all. We finished in about 3.5 hours. The course was in good shape considering it has been a cold start to winter. Fun shorter course. Good for beginners and those wanting to practice their short game. Only need your driver a couple times so on a colder day that was nice. I will play here again.

great for beginners

Played with my wife, who is just starting golf. first time for 18 holes and she loved the course. I have been playing for 18 yrs and really enjoyed being on the green in 2. GREAT FACILITY!!!!

Short but challenging course

Always enjoying playing here. Good value for your money and it is a challenging course.

Good confidence builder

I play this course a few times a year. Relatively short compared to most courses in the area. But it is a First Tee complex that is designed to promote golf for the youth. Great practice area, and the course is challenging enough. If you're a long hitter it's still fun to play. Great for working on your short game and approach shots.

Richmond, Virginia