Type Municipal

Wellshire Golf Course is an 18-hole, public course that was voted as one of the best public facilities in the U.S. Designed by Donald Ross, the course opened in 1926 and is located in southwest Denver. Towering trees are scattered throughout the course, adding pretty scenery as well as an interesting element to the game. The course has a yardage of 6,498 from its longest tees, playing to a par of 71. The risk-and-reward style layout of the course provides a fun golfing experience for all levels. Wellshire Golf Course features particularly challenging 12th and 14th holes. The greens and fairways are Blue Grass.

Wellshire Golf Club

Year Built 1926
Fairways Blue Grass
Greens Blue Grass
Architect Donald Ross (1926)

Carts Yes - $17

Restaurant

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2019 #19)

Solid course, Strange people

This course was nice, but the people there were strange. First off apparently there is no junior rate here when literally every single other city course has one. I asked the guy about it and he said “We’ve never done that before” So I had to pay 30 bucks for my son when it would usually be 14. Not a huge deal but it even says the on the website that there is a junior rate. Guys behind us were jerks. They were yelling at us to hit when the people were 200 yrds out. They started cussing at us and saying we were waiting until they were like 350 yards out. People in front of us were also just really bad. Overall the course at wellshire is pretty solid with some interesting holes and it was in nice shape. I enjoyed the layout of the course but I felt like a few of the holes just blended together and were pretty basic

Commented on 06/10/2020

Hi, thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the confusion regarding the junior rate. Our website should be updated and we appreciate you pointing that out to us. We also want to apologize for the other rowdy golfers you encountered during your round. Please reach out to us next time and we will help to make your round more enjoyable. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon.

Beautiful day but windy

A beautiful 76 degree day in April except for the wind. Course was in excellent shape. Enjoyed the round very much.

Commented on 04/29/2020

Hi mwallace10. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Wellshire Golf Course.

Best muni ever

You can tell that Donald Ross had his work cut out for him with this land. Relatively flat with not much around, he really did a good job. It’s not very challenging, but if you aren’t good off the tee box you’re in trouble. But if you’re hitting FIR’s, you should be well off. Really enjoyed it. Greens were perfect too, which I have never seen at a muni.

Commented on 06/09/2020

Hello, u314159839160. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us 5 stars. We work hard to maintain the course for everyone's benefit, which means aerifying the greens as part of our regular maintenance schedule and keeping them in pristine condition. We will let the entire crew know their hard work is paying off. Please come back soon for another 5-star experience at Wellshire Golf Course.

Ho Hum golf course

First I have something to say about the characters that frequent this course. Every time I go I have to contend with assorted people who are there to do everything else but play golf. It attracts the kind of people who have no etiquette and no concern for other people who just want to play.
The course is not interesting to play as it crisscrosses from one end of the property and back again. If you enjoy fast greens this is not the place. Green speeds vary from slow to very slow. Tee boxes are not well maintained and create awkward situations of hitting around trees which make some holes unenjoyable.
I will not be going back again any time soon

From FL to CO

Wellshire was an absolute gem. You can really tell how old the course is by how narrow most of the fairways are. Layout is very basic but great to the eye. OMG the speeds of those greens must have been close to 13+. The gentleman in the pro shop was awesome. I played with a female member of the staff so having a bit of local knowledge definitely helped even if it was for only the first 9. Will definitely be back!

Classic

One of the best muni’s in Denver. Fun design that rewards hitting fairways. Most of the holes run straight so if you miss fairways you’re either in jail or have to hit a fun recovery shot. Greens have little subtleties making putting a test. Only issue with Wellshire is that it is usually packed in the afternoon (as it should be really!) we played the round at about 4 hrs 40 mins. Def a recommendation for all golfers. Cheers.......MM

Great day!

The course is in great shape and the greens are incredibly fast for the amount of water we’ve had Inn a Colorado. The only drawback was that the grounds crew would work on the sand traps while we were hitting slowing us down. All they needed to do was take 5 minutes to let us pass. There was nobody behind us.

Nice Course

The course was enjoyable to play. Not too difficult which suits me just fine...

A gem from the past

Great course with history, greens are some of the best challenging and plays like a private club!!

Great, except!

It was for the most part an excellent experience at the course. With one exception, the pace of play on the back nine was horrible. One group held us up. The issue is the course allows for 9 hole groups to play before the 18 hole groups make the turn. Thus, you have a mix of both. In this case the 9 hole group was just wondering about without any consideration for our group, the first to tee off.

Great day on the course

Great day to play golf. The course was in great shape and we played in 3 hours 10 minutes.

Good public course

I live near Wellshire and play there often. It’s a pretty well kept course with diverse hole layouts. Bobby Jones apparently I payed a tournament there and said his favorite hole was number 8.

They do a good job keeping the fairways and greens in good condition. There are not many hazards so it’s pretty forgiving for the novice golfer and fun for a good golfer because of the scoring opportunities.

Good views of the mountains and a cool old school clubhouse with nice tree shaded patio.

Nice course for the average golfer!

Was a little concerned when I found out driving range closed but made nets available for hitting. Good practice areas, Open fairways and not many hazards. Fairways and greens in great shape. Greens were steady an mostly readable to even a novice.

Keep it up

As long as GolfNow has courses at affordable prices I can continue to play golf with my kids

Colorado Advisor

Good metro/municourse

After playing this course twice, I think it's one of the more interesting Denver city courses. It was designed by Donald Ross and opened in ~1926, wow. Currently, the driving range (into a lake) is not open. Walking out to the practice green and #1 tee are a bit iffy if folks on #9 pull or hook into the trees. The greens play fairly quick, so spend time at the practice putting green to get it dialed.

This par 71 course is ~6500 yards max, but the ratings are 70.7/130 from bronze, 69.4/126/6232y from gold, 67/122/5756y/par 73 from black, and 66.6/119/4709y/par 73 from silver, so expect some non-distance challenges for a muni.

Leaves in the fall can add to your challenge. We walked (it's very walkable) into probably 10-15 lost ones with very light golfer traffic. When in doubt, stay below the hole here. The design seems to favor faders, but there are a few draw holes (6, 7, & 18). The course lies close to Hampden, which makes holes #14-17 slightly more intimidating if you're not on your game. Hole #17 is quite picturesque and with #18 makes for a tougher 1-2 finish. Oh yeah, the 150 stick on #17 is not 150.

The greens will favor those with those with experience on the course.

Right now, the weekday M-F walking rate is $28, $22 seniors, which makes it a reasonable round. With its tight layout, walking intentionally leisurely only took 3:30 even with hunting among leaves for some shots.

The 19th hole is pretty good if you're thirsty or hungry after your round.

Course is not what it used to be

The course has gone downhill in the past 10 years. The snooty woman in the pro shop was the icing on the cake. No need to come back again.

Great Value for Golf Day

Had another great day at Wellshire Golf Course. Course in great shape and enjoyed a nice lunch afterwards. We'll be back for sure.

A pretty nice course. Very enjoyable.

I hadn't played Wellshire in 25 years. Its changed a bit, but so have I. I'll put it on my regular play list for weekday play. It was busy, but not overcrowded. The pace was well managed. The greens were in great shape. And the recent rain we have had did not leave the course too soggy.

Disappointing

On the Positive side, the staff was friendly, the sand traps had real sand and the greens were in good condition. On the other hand: the pace was extremely slow. It took 52 minutes to play the first three holes. The tee boxes and fairways were in bad shape. Huge areas of grassless hardpan, over watered mud holes and other GUR. Much worse condition than her sister Denver City course like Kennedy and City Park (when it was open)

Aurora, Colorado