Iron Horse Golf Course

Year built: 1989
Architect(s): Dick Phelps
Type: Public
Greens: Champion Bermuda grass

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Front (W) 70 5083 yards 70.1 121
Front 70 5083 yards 65.5 109

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for locals advanced golfers seniors   Challenges include bunkers water hazards narrow fairways   Great for drinks brunch amazing food

"Conditions Below Average, Course Marshal Overzealous"

mu2pilot's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2017

I played with a friend and we were paired with 2 singles. The first thing I noticed was the course was wet. There was standing water everywhere, but it hadn't rained in the area in several days. The grounds crew evidently left the sprinklers running too long. Any area without grass (and there were a lot of areas with no grass, especially bordering the cart paths), was now a muddy mess. They watered so much there was standing water in several sand traps.

On a positive note, it is a pretty course and nice layout. If it was kept in better condition, I could see it being a fun place to play.

My biggest complaint was the marshal. There was a gap in front of us when we teed off, even though we teed off a couple minutes before our tee time. We moved right along, but never did catch the group in front of us. Around hole 7, the marshal came by and told us to speed up. We hadn't seen the group behind us since #1 tee so we weren't concerned.

We made the turn in 2 hr and 5 minutes. On hole 11, the marshal came by again and told us we needed to speed up. I asked him what their target 18 hole time is, but he didn't answer. I asked him how far behind we were (again, no one was waiting on us on any shot) and he said, "7 minutes".

Oh.

My.

God.

We are SEVEN MINUTES behind and holding up no one!! And playing at a 4:10 pace. I wanted to tell him that he needed to go find something else to do and that he needed to stop bugging us, but I didn't. I did tell him that we made the turn in a little over 2 hours which is PLENTY FAST for a 4 some on a public golf course.

He came by and bugged us one more time, but by then I think he realized that he was being a little ridiculous.

I hate making people wait and I am a fairly fast player. We finished in 4 hrs and 15 min which is a perfectly fine pace. We were already playing plenty fast when the marshal started bothering us.

Iron Horse administration, when your players are playing fast, don't bother them! Just because there is an open hole in front of them doesn't always mean they are playing slow. Sometimes, they started with a hole open. Let people enjoy your course.

"Friendliest staff in the area"

asviray's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/16/2018

Challenging and fun layout Greens and fairways in excellent condition. Proshop staff very friendly and helpful.

Vintage train cars along some greens/tee boxes add an interesting touch.

dallasbear2003's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018

Greens good, fairways barren on a few holes in landing areas, tee boxes hacked up!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/04/2018

"Perfect Day"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/24/2018

Could not have picked a more perfect January day to play golf. Played in 3.25 hours and the greens were in great shape for this time of year. Maybe to hard on the cours due to the rains, many bunkers were muddy and on 3 fairways, bare ground.

"Solid course"

zach9432712's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/24/2018

I hate seeing very short, lack of detail reviews so here is a reasonable review.

Played for a smoking hot deal of $15 and it was well worth it. Free range balls and a nice putting green. Think my biggest complaint is how horrible the tee boxes are. You can tell which ones they have taken the time to fix but there are some like number 13 (black tees) that literally have zero even ground. My front foot was sloped down, back foot was pointed up and I had to strike my ball at a very weird angle to avoid hitting the ground before the ball. To be fair, it was about half and half on good and bad tees. The good ones were very flat and nice for what the course is. It’s a public course situated with a lot of houses around it so for a decent amount of holes, expect the typical country club feel. Another thing is the pace of play was on the slower side. I played by myself until I was forced to join with 3 other guys because I had nowhere to go past them. For the last of the bad things, I was playing this immediately following a bad freeze/winter so the course wasn’t in peak shape which is understandable.

Now onto the goods. I absolutely hate showing up to a public course and going to putt, then basically having to hit driver for the ball to go anywhere. Then on top of that, you can’t aim because they dont even roll true. Iron horse was a welcome sight. The greens here were in really good shape for winter and especially a public course like this. The pro shop guy said they were rolling 14’s which is false (I play at trinity forest which are 14’s), but they were definitely around a 9 or 10. 90% of the time they rolled true which is extremely nice compared to other public courses. The pro shop guys, cart girls, and other staff all smiled and seemed like they were happy to help and be working there. The layout of the course was actually very nice and presented some solid strategic shot arrangement or you were in trouble. Course isn’t very long (I believe around 6400 yards from the tips) but I was able to pull out the driver on the par 5s which is nice.

Overall I would recommend this course in a heartbeat, and if there’s a hot deal, choose iron horse first.

GGanster's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/08/2018

"Course was in great shape as always!"

Darrell8681108's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/06/2018

I play Iron Horse often. Fairways were green and greens rolled true. This was especially nice given it’s January. The cart girls came around regularly and were friendly. Only critique is there was no marshal on the first tee which caused some bunching up. Great day!

"Muddy"

Matthew1960's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/18/2017

First time playing course. Major mud everywhere. Many bunkers were flooded. It rained 2 days earlier but I believe they also watered which was definitely not needed. Cart path only, most of my shots on other side of fairways. Did plenty of walking. Saw cart girl several times. Greens were awesome, but very fast. Most downhill putts very tricky. I wish I knew they had several creeks behind the tree lines. Despite the mud I had a good time and will be back. GPS was fantastic !

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/17/2017

"Disappointed"

voskuildave's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/13/2017

I love this course and the staff as well. Play here often as live close, BUT I am writing to tell the management to pay attention. The greens remain superb, but the fringe around the greens for 3 feet was soaked and muddy-even maintenance tire tracks!. Land the ball short and plugs-land on the green and watch it roll of. Puddles of water everywhere, in the fairway, next to the greens, along the cart paths. Hit drive down the middle and plugged a few times-and it hasn't rained for 4 weeks! I realize watering, sodding, and repair is necessary, but the course was soaked from too much watering! Tee boxes must be addressed soonest as besides playing off a side hill lies 50% of the time, many are chewed up from no one sanding divots-players or maintenance. The sand traps are wet sand due to over watering and club skids through the wet sand when playing out of them. As an aside, cart paths have no shoulders as we know and parking brake on many carts shot...We need a little TLC for our NRH gem!!

"Challenging Course"

halvorson500's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/11/2017

I play this course a few time a year to find out were my golf game is really at, it's a very challenging golf course especially for high handicap. I'm a 10 handicap and shot 95. One guy I got paired up with shot a 140. The Greens are in great shape, but be warned- lighting fast, 3+ putts are common place here. The fairways are good down the middle, gets a little patchy around the edges. I recommend playing this course when you are playing well.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/03/2017

"Awesome Greens"

SeanR87's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/01/2017

Played on Friday afternoon, Arcis prime rate was $18.

Course was in great shape, the greens are near perfect and very fast.

It appears they overseeded the tee boxes and fairways, so they are lush and green, however, there was some standing water in places. This course has a great variety of holes and is always one of my favorites.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/19/2017

"Good test"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2017

Nice track especially if you like residential courses. Need to play ball position. Try to play couple times a year via GolfNow deals. Mediocre value at rack pricing....better than average fairways, greens & challenge.

"just ok"

deleonjs's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2017

course was in very poor condition. A lot of spots have lots of water on them. There are a lot of mud around hole 18 couldn’t even get to the bar without stepping in mud. Greens were just too fast. Most of the course was cart only.

"Course as seen better days"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/24/2017

I went to this course because it was in a Blog article as being one of the top 10 public courses in the Dallas area. I think it must have been an old post. The course had ground under repair on almost every hole. I would not recommend to a friend as there are many better options in the Dallas area.

"Value"

voskuildave's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2017

Conditions were great and only exceeded by the quality of the greens-they were perfect! Course in good shape as well, save the tee box's. When they are renovated and leveled, the course matches with most all privates. One of the best publics around!!

"Knowing In Advance"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/11/2017

Having played Iron Horse several times before this round, we were extremely disappointed that we were not told, until we were at the course for our tee time, the course was hosting a charity golf event. While we did get our selected tee time, it took over 5 hours (given the two foursomes ahead of us playing a scramble format) to reach the 17th tee. As it was then 6 PM CDT, we simply carted to the parking lot, packed our clubs and left.