Riviera Maya Golf Club - Championship Course

GPS: Yes

Singles allowed: No
Dress code: Proper golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: Yes

Riviera Maya Golf Club has been ranked as one of the top five golf courses in Mexico. Designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr., the Championship Course winds through lush Mayan jungle. Natural lakes also dot the scenic landscape. Being so close to the ocean, wind definitely comes into play, especially on the tough par-3 second hole, which plays directly into the prevailing winds. If you are able to keep your shots in the fairway, you'll surely be rewarded with a good lie and a challenging, but fair approach. Jones carefully carved the golf course from the deepest part of a limestone quarry, spreading the fairways across treacherous jungle growth that is just waiting to swallow up errant shots. In addition to the championship layout, there is also an Executive Course that is one of the best nine-hole golf courses in the Rivera Maya.

"great golfing"

pedrois1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2018

We had a perfect golfing week played 6 games. The staff, course, weather all wonderful. You are treated very well. The fact we can leave our clubs huge. Bevy cart always there for lots of water. We keep returning because it is always first class. Thank you all

"Great golf course!"

Mimma's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2018

My husband and I played 8 rounds of golf on this great course. Everything was well organized and everybody at the location took good care of us.

We can warmly recommend this course to other golfers!

"Beautiful"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2018

My wife and I don’t normally golf on vacation but we decided to give it a try. The course is beautiful with several holes worthy of the label “signature”.

Staff are very helpful and take their time to ensure you have a great experience.

Can’t wait for the next round!

"Top Notch Course"

mojoman892's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2018
Previously played Used cart

A challenging course in great shape and with great staff. A pleasure to play in the Mayan Riviera. Bring extra balls! Unique design and don't even bother looking in the jungle if you're a bit errant. Course is in fantastic shape.

"Great challenging course"

Doris2932409's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/08/2018

This was fifth time playing this courrse, still well maintained with friendly staff.

Excellent layout that you won't forget, would recommend .

"AMAZING GOLF AT RIVIERA MAYA G&CC!!!"

uMLQN5239ML's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/16/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Stayed at the Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an resort between Jan. 15-22...

The resort was adjacent to the wonderful Riviera Maya G&CC, and I played 6 rounds during my stay - Most rounds played with other resort guests, the last day on my own.

The practice facilities and the course itself is amazing, please check out the website for a 'hole by hole' outline.

The course is reasonably difficult (72.1/128 from the blues), but very playable and really fun. To me the highlight hole is the 6th 'Cenote' hole (photo attached) which is while the toughest hole, one of the prettiest I've ever played. The Par 3 15th is also a sight to behold (and very challenging)...

I would HIGHLY recommend this course, the staff in the proshop and off the starters area are very service oriented and an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Give the course a try, and stay at the resort at the same time, it was our 3rd year in a row!!

"Beautiful course!"

OlofR's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/13/2018

A friend and I played this course a few days ago. The course is beautifully located in the middle of the forrest (on the Bahia resort) and with small lakes/cenotes along the holes.

The course is kept in a very good condition and the holes are both funny and challenging.

You can rent all the equipment you need, should you not bring your own clubs. A big plus was also that the greenfee was at 50% if you stayed at the Bahia Resort or Bahia Apartments.

The Sales Dept. is very professional, quickly in responding all questions we had, via email, before arrival.

I can strongly recommend this course!

"easy to lose balls on this course"

sean1888's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017

I very rarely lose a ball but managed to lose 5 on this course, probably due to hiring clubs and not using my own. Course was nice to play on and had some beautiful features, played off the white tees as I was out at 1pm, would have added an hour on round off blue tees and it was too hot. To be fair would have tamed this course off white tees with my own clubs but I guess most of us can say that lol. Staff were friendly enough but when I asked to use locker room the attendant showed me to a small bench to change my shoes, so I do not know if shower facilities were available. Also I could have done with a cold beer after my round but was not really tempted to use the facilities by any member of staff. Would play course again, perhaps in morning and off longer tees and will bring my own clubs next time

"Even better than the first time."

Terry4114621's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/09/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Just returned from a week at the attached Bahia Principe Akumal. Played three times in the week. Course was very busy twice and not busy at all third time. Very hot in afternoon. Course is in excellent shape and one of my all time favorites. Also played it three times 5 years ago. Some very interesting holes and the potential for lots of trouble ( bunkers, water, cenotes and jungle ) if you don't keep it straight. Bunkers were in good shape other than where previous players hadn't raked. Great clubhouse with Taylor Made rentals, restaurant, bar and showers. Excellent practice facility with full length driving range, bunkers and chipping area as well as putting. GPS carts and starter very helpful. Rates are posted on their website and change with the season but certainly worth checking out if in that area of Mexico.

"One of the best courses I have ever played."

pmcuaron's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course is very hard to play but it is beautiful and you get to play one of the 3 best courses in Mexico. It is expensive but you get complementary water, sodas and snacks.

"Nice layout but rough greens"

Joe1264671's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Played in 4 hours, Cart girl came around frequently. The course has many good holes with sand and water. The greens were not in very good shape but the rest of the course was in good condition. Pack extra balls.

"Awesome"

jamieP's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2014

Course is 5 years old cut out of a jungle.<br/> greens need time to mature- 5 more years this will be better than El Cameleon at Mayakoba.<br/> Round included snacks, pop/water.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Terrible Service"

mikebarclay's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

We booked tee times for 8:40am on Golfnow. When we showed up at the course, they said there were no times available, but we could come back at 11:00am. Two of us came back at 11:00, then they said there were no times available until 12:30! We travelled from BC and Nova Scotia to play golf here, and received this kind of treatment. There was no attempt to fit us in anywhere. When we did tee off later, it was a<br/> 5 1/2 hour round in mid day heat.<br/> We were very disappointed with the service, and lack of compassion from the course staff. We are also disappointed in the Golfnow reservation not carrying any weight.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

Commented on 10/09/2017

It is indeed an awful experience, and it is a shame; I've played the course 3 or 4 times since its opening and it has always tried their best to get you a good experience, even consider their Bahia Principe realty offer because of that. Last year they brought in a Jaime Sureda to ramp up their game, but it is obvious he can't deliver. A shame, indeed.

"Challenging but remote"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2014

The course is very challenging with narrow fairways and fast greens. All holes play much longer than they measure. One extra club is need on almost every approach shot.<br/> The fairways need to be a little longer for the average player. The rough was very short and extremely playable.<br/> The location was a $100.00 taxi ride from our hotel and negated the discount received on green fees.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"nice tract"

gwbechtol's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 1/21/2013

Played twice while in Akumal...better than average resort course

"The Facility was great and the staff very responsive. A must play in Cancun"

Mike3795639's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/28/2012

The holes were designed to incorporate the natural terrain. Many holes had rock caverns that brought a unique character to the holes. Lots of water, lots of carry on your shots, and good play is rewarded.

"not such a free round, but very worth the cart fee"

bri4444's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5

Greens and Fairways were pristine, as nice as any I have ever played and I have been fortunate enough to play at TPC Summerlin before a tour event only a week out. Golf was included with my stay at Sian Ka'an Bahia Principe, however I was responsible for cart fee which was 45 dollars pp twilight (65 $ regular rate and think had 55 $ early bird). As golfing single went late and played round under 3 hours even though donated many balls to the stunning surroundings. I played the 18 twice during my stay and on last day tried the par 3 that was challenging but a little expensive when compared to just few dollars more and could be playing 18. Service was extremely friendly and after each round was offered a ride back to room which in my case was couple minute walk thus declined. Hotel guests also can have clubs stored and therefore I didn't have to haul clubs up and down stairs to room after each round. I think pop and water was free from snack cart and a charge that wasn't over the top for booze, but that might of been only for hotel guests. The fairways were smooth enough to putt off and remain true throughout the transition which helped me achieve several one putts. Guest or visitor to near by hotel, this course is worth a visit, bring your camera.