2.3

Type Private
Style Links
Royal Isabela

Year Built 2009
Architect David Pfaff (2009)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Royal Isabela's Golf Academy"

Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire.

Bar, Restaurant

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Puerto Rico (2019 #2)

It’s going downhill

Course
74 Traps BUT THEY need a lot of maintenance. No rakes to be found anywhere?

Some pin locations have NOT been changed in awhile. Some where at least 6” wide from wind and play. LOL

#17 is the best hole on the course yet the area surrounding the green is rough. Clear it out and make this hole what it was meant to be!

Design / layout is very challenging BUT a bit quirky. You don’t need to place a trap or hazard everywhere! I understand the slope rating now. It was manufactured but the terrain is enough to make this course Challenging. .

HOW ABOUT SOME BETTER SIGNAGE FROM HOLE TO HOLE.

SERVICE
We tried to play two days before but Pro Shop attendant kept telling us it was cart path only. We took the chance and went anyway and the gentleman told us the course had NO such rules. LOL.

Service at the turn was slow because they had only person tending to players and resort guests. It took us at least 20 minutes to buy and load up.

Place some water on the course! Puerto Rico is warm and players need water! One free water bottle is not enough.

Overall
For the $100+ we spent, this course needs a little more care. Compared to the other high end courses in Puerto Rico, this course rates #5 in my book. Only because of the layout is it worth playing again. Otherwise value falls short.

Simply stunning Such a gem

We had been told how amazing the course was and I must say we were not surprised. It was even nicer than we thought. The front 9 is nice but we had seen similar elsewhere but no one can be prepared for the back nine amazing, fantastic , above challenging , you can’t stop looking just a treat for your senses.

Only negative and I saw it multiple times in other reviews, the directions are simply poor at best in most cases inexistent. How can a course of that level not spend a thousand dollar to have proper signage .
We have no idea what happened between 7 and 8. For 12 we guessed right nothing telling us where to go next.

The course is so nice that this was a minor issue but even your local municipal golf course is better there

Go for it, do not miss a chance to play such a gem

Royal Isabella

Amazing course, many elevation changes, incredible ocean views. Fairways in great shape, greens were smooth and fast. I pretty much had the place to myself with an 8 am tee time. The staff said they are never busy.

The course needs more signs to get you from hole to hole! I got lost a couple times.

The course was great but I am unhappy with GolfNow. I paid 200 bucks to book through GolfNow. When I got to the course the staff said I should have called them directly and the price would have been $110.

Disappointed

Big expectations lead to bigger disappointments.
No signage for where to park or a bag drop. Inside staff female wasn’t friendly or helpful. No scorecards anywhere to be found, we had no idea where the 1st hole was and nobody out informing anyone. Luckily a single player was making the turn was in the shop and available to help me. Range was closed. No gps on the carts. Huge mistake. I paid 6 bucks for a yardage book after 6 holes, and still not helpful. Tee boxes were in really rough shape, greens were ok, not great, same with the fairways. I had to buy a dozen balls to get a singular logo ball.
Views were pretty amazing 6 of the holes. Was great to take pictures on the back 9. 12 is really cool, on 17 aim about 50 yards into the ocean to get it on the green.
Food was ok at the bar after the round, not great, just ok. Service was good though as are the views.

Wow!

Beautiful views! Friendly staff! Well-kept fairways and greens!

Royal

Beautiful views, the course is very challenge and the staff are excellent.

Need caddie

Also need better directions for going to next hole. Otherwise beautiful course. Definitely need caddie and better yard markers.
Greens were rolling true and fast.

Stunning Views

Would play this course again in a heartbeat. The views were amazing. Course was in great condition for summer in Puerto Rico. Greens ran true. Fun course to play. Pay attention to where you going, getting from hole to hole was a challenge at times. A couple more directional signs would help. The Pebble Beach of the Caribbean....Heck Yeah!

Royal Isabela

Awesome layout...holes 1-10 roll thru mountain side but with links style feel. Tee shots blind but generous fairways. Small greens (1 shared green) but in great condition. Holes 11-17 give some of the most amazing views of the bluffs overlooking the Atantic/Gulf of Mexico. Forced carries over 4 of these holes, but very playable. Hole 17 is a par 3 playing into a strong wind to a small kidney shaped green..unbelievable hole. With the wind, downhill putts really roll out. You got to hit the uphill putts. Wonderful experience!! They offer promo's on facebook.

Incredible views

I was blown away with the views on the course, so many holes with Ocean views but hole 17 was incredible. The course has a great layout. Truly amazing

Georgia Advisor

Awesome Course in Good Condition with SPECTACULAR Views

This is an awesome course with Spectacular ocean views and tons of photo opportunities with gorgeous ocean views. I played the course a couple years ago and the course conditions were not too good (fire ant mounds everywhere, greens in not good condition, fairways were long and shaggy, etc.). However, the course conditions today were great today all except the greens. The fairways were great and cut nicely. The Superintendent has really done a great job in improving the overall conditions of everything. The greens were a little bumpy with small ant mounds all over the greens. The entire property tries to be chemical free as possible and tries not to use pesticides on the course.
However, the ocean views are spectacular. I have played almost every course in Puerto Rico and this course has by far the prettiest ocean views with four or five holes right along the ocean or the green is right above the ocean. It is a bit of a drive from San Juan, but in my opinion, well with the drive. It is a little price because whatever rate you get, you then have to add on another $80 because a caddie is required. The caddie I had was great and very helpful in getting around the course, especially the back nine. The holes go everywhere and I would never have known which hole to go to next because there are actually 21 holes on the course.

In my opinion, it is well worth the drive as well as the additional charge for the caddie. I will definitely be back to play again the next time I am in PR.

Spectacular layout but needs some TLC

This was my second trip to Royal Isabella and the course layout and views are second to none. However, the course condition had really gone down hill from my last trip two years earlier. The greens are still the best in PR, however the fairways and first cut of rough looked like they had not been mowed in a month and the fire ants had mounds everywhere on the course. The bunkers also need a lot of attention with weeds growing in them and minimal sand. The back nine views are one out of a postcard and you find yourself almost more focused on the scenery than your golf, but for 2 bills I expect better conditions than this.

The Pebble Beach of the Caribbean

I played many golf courses but Royal Isabela is one of my favorites. From the moment you arrived at the resort you are overtaken by a felling of excitement and serenity.
The Golf Course is challenging specially when you ad the wind factor and the 350+ ocean cliff . The back nine holes are breath taking, you feel like you are playing in pebble beach but in 85 degree weather with t-shots over 380 ft ocean cliff walls. Par 3 / 185 yards hole 17 will test you as a golfer.
Caddies are very important as it is a difficult course with many hazards, strong cross winds and a few blind shots.
The staff is amazing and the accommodations are beyond any expectations.
Casita # 4 is the best in my book.
Luis Hidalgo is the caddy you want to have.
Royal Isabela is a Resort with many other amenities besides Golf from tennis, to yoga to paddle board in a river etc...
And to top it all the food is amazing with a farm to table menu and daily fresh sea food, Royal Isabela is "The Pebble beach of the Caribbean"

Hardest Course on Earth

This course has ocean views, tee shots near cliffs, and holes cut out of jungle. This course is designed for Tiger Woods in his prime, but the beauty of this course allows the experience to still be fun. The courses design includes an island green par 3, tee shots of cliffs overhanging the ocean, and a par 3 cut out of bushes.

Puerto Rico's best course?

My Royal Isabela experience wasn't ideal. I had to ride a bus for three hours each way before and after the round to get to the course as part of a golf media tour. During the round, I was paired with a golf 'writer' who had never played before. Awkward, right? A newbie on a demanding links-like course with winds howling off the water? Yep, he'll never play golf again. That said, it's hard not to get swept away in the clifftop beauty of Royal Isabela. There were a few minor design elements I would question - a couple blind shots on the front nine and the terrifying 10th green that slopes away from players, but those could easily be solved by playing a couple of rounds here. Otherwise, it's an enjoyable ride filled with scenery and shot making. The true Royal Isabela experience - where you stay in the gorgeous casitas, explore the beach and savor world-class cuisine - probably ranks among the best golf stay-and-plays in the Caribbean. Anybody who gets to sample that is living life large. Is this Puerto Rico's best course? Probably, although the East course at Dorado Beach and Bahia Beach aren't far behind. Editor's note: I haven't played Trump yet.

Base Ramey, Aguadilla