Grand Coral Riviera Maya Golf Course

Walking allowed: No

Location is at a resort   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers water hazards thick rough

"Grand Coral"

John3790007's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2017

Great course. Great conditions. Greens are SLOW. There is ZERO run up to the greens! Play your shot 3-5 yards short of the pin and you will do well. We did a 1:40 tee time. I highly recommend playing as early as possible even if it is exponentially more expensive. If you can afford $60 US, you can afford $120 to golf. You will not regret playing at 6:40 and paying full price and pass up sweating your butt off all day in 100 degree heat indexes

"Interesting Track"

Jkitts's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Staff was fabulous, so helpful. Was rained out on the first day, got a raincheck and returned the following day with no issues.

The layout of this course is challenging, the par 3's are fairly long (depending on tees of course) and I enjoyed the different shots required to score here.

That said, and this is true of Mayakoba (nicest track in the area) as well, the greens are SLOW. If you don't like slow greens, this isn't the place for you. They were amazingly true and smooth, but very very slow, which I believe is normal for the region.

From a maintenance standpoint, the course could be a bit better. Tee boxes and greens were well maintained, there were some rough spots in the fairways where they needed a bit more grass, but this could be indicative of the time of year (VERY hot, humid weather).

I would recommend this track, primarily due to the service and staff friendliness. Layout is good, and from the tips will give you all you could ask for!!

Mayakoba is the gem of this region, but Grand Coral is less than 1/2 the price (maybe 1/3 depending on what rate you get, Mayakoba wanted $299 on some sites) making it a good value if you are in the Playa Del Carmen area.

"Better than ever"

GolfinginBC's avatar
British Columbia Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2017

This was my second time playing this course. I played in fall of 2015 and it was great then and even better now.

I love the layout, the greens roll true, at at just over 7000 from the tips it's 141 slope is challanging.

They updated all their carts since last time which is a nice added touch. We paid $89 per person which is a great deal for what you get. I'm sure if you stay on property it's even better.

Looking forward to coming back, it's a must in the area.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2017

"Nice course!"

Aggie549's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

We selected this course for the price and hopefully wider fairways. The course was in good condition. I would recommend this course!

"Customer Service"

rschifano's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

The golf staff forgot to pick us up at the hotel and did not answer the phone when the hotel staff called. Had to take a taxi. Got there just in time to tee off. We had paid for the bucket of balls, which we never received and the staff girl in charge of sending the driver, rolled her eyes when her supervisor was disciplining her. Yes, I speak Spanish. We have golfed here many times and have had similar experiences. Course is beautiful. Cancelled our Thursday tee time.

Darren5139458's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2017

"Good course but overpriced for what you get."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2017

The course is nice but not much elevation change. First time playing this course and the distances to the greens were hard to get right with the heat and windy conditions. No gps and sprinklers not marked.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rental clubs were not good quality. Grips worn out and in some had cracks.

It is a little overpriced for what you get on the course.

"This course is open for missed shots"

u000006207550's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

The Grand Coral was a great place to play and my wife to ride along. Teed off at 7am, wanted to be first out finished in 2:50 hours was just me as a single. The lay out was pretty nice but greens ran a little slow but a great course over all.

Commented on 10/16/2017

Did they charge you a cart fee for your wife to ride?

saubre's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

this course is not offering any drinks or food for free on the course like all the other ones.

We even ad to pay for the water

"Fun Round"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/14/2017

Decided to play a round while I was on vacation. Rental clubs were a few years old but pretty good- TaylorMade Aero Woods and Irons. The course was built to be forgiving which is nice when you haven't swung a club in a few months and the ones you have are rentals. The fairways and greens were wide and inviting. The bunkers were well maintained and the greens were nice. My one suggestion would be to double cut or roll the greens. They had a bumpy, wobbly but roll to them so it was hard to know if yet rolled true. Overall I had a great time.

"Very good!!"

Ukgolfnutter's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/23/2017

I have played this golf course 3 times in the last week! The course is very well presented, good design and is difficult. I am a 2 handicap and stuggled playing from the back tees as the course was playing long. The greens were perfect, very true surfaces.

A shout out must go to the starters... From start yo finish, the customer service was very good! Overall i was very pleased with the experience! Must visit course if in the area!!

Bondish007's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/20/2016

"A Little Wind, but HOT"

smentele's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/01/2016
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I started as a single, waited on the first three tees. Raul, a local guy, joined me on the third tee. He called the Pro Shop and the foursome let us by in the next hole. There was a 2-3 club headwind on several holes. (I struggle to keep it low.) Fairways were in decent shape and the greens were excellent. I over read the break at the start. The guy driving the beverage cart was very helpful. He liked practicing his English, and I my Spanish. We finished in 3 hours, which was good given the 85 degree heat. Two or more golfers pay less.

"Riviera Maya favorite"

twospeeder's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This is a lush, generous, and well manicured playground. It isn't tight and penal as many coastline tracks are. Bunkers are deep but the surrounding frog grass is gone (yes!). Lay open a 60deg and skim under to neutralize the soft sand.

Players in front disappeared during our 1 0'clock tee time and we never saw anyone behind. The rough is stiff and short and a ball does'nt seem to want to settle down in it but rather sit up as if on a tee. There are some death zones along the fairway edge that house a low running plant/vine. Especially true for the par 5 12th hole, right side.

Greens seemed hard and we both had trouble spinning to a stop and finding a mark to repair.

The fairway is hard and I couldn't dig my usual tunnels.

The staff are beautiful people. Manager Monica Bernal can melt this old sourpuss and pro shop Ariely gave me all the help I needed. {Inside advice, phoned my favorite taxi, Margarita #174}

The outside help are there at every turn without being in the way so I always tip all generously because I want to.

I ordered a hot dog last year and got a tasty meal for $5 us. We saw the snack buggy frequently.

Even though the price has increased this is the best course I play in the Riviera Maya. It checks all the boxes and handy, just a few minutes north of Playa del Carmen.

"A good value."

Dangraville's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/28/2016

We played Grand Coral 4 times during our 2 weeks in Playa, so we obviously liked it. The course was challenging with protective bunkers and lots of water, but it was also fair with wide fairways and good grass covering. Long hitters need to hit a straight ball or you will lose your ball in the jungle or water. Greens were slower than we were used to, but we adapted and played well. We will definitely play this course again when we return to Playa Del Carmen.

"Grand Coral Golf Club"

gmazzone's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2016
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

I had a great experience, even though I played in the rain/drizzle. I enjoyed the layout and look forward to returning for another round.

"Beautiful course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/29/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

I was vacationing in the area and decided to play at the last minute. Had a great experience playing Grand Coral. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Had to rent a set of Taylor Made clubs that were in very good condition. The course was spread out , challenging but fair. Greens were a little slow. There was a decent amount of water and sand, but you were rewarded for good shots. I was paired with a twosome, Chris and Shane, who were very good golfers but fun to be with. The only downfall with the course was the greens on the back nine, which were choppy and hard to hold your line of putting. They had airified them earlier in the month. Otherwise my rating would have been excellent across the board!

Commented on 09/29/2016

How much is the club rental?Not sure if I want to bring my Eclubs

"Overpriced and Boring--<Definitely play elsewhere while in Cancun/Riviera Maya"

mattywb16's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Course is as boring as any typical Florida layout (at a much higher price point). Greens were post-aeration, really slow and bumpy. You may as well play Mayakoba, Paraiso and either Riviera Cancun or Puerto Cancun while on a trip here.

Avoid playing here--staff was particularly rude given it was low season, and there was a shortage of water on the course, with sounds of construction (theyre developing a timeshare community of some sort).

Theres a reason the reviews for this layout are much lower than the rest. Most courses on North End closer to Cancun provide transportation, so would definitely go that route instead of playing at Grand Coral.

Commented on 07/01/2016

Thanks for your review. I am a golf nut here now in PDC. I will look elsewhere now.

"Decent course in PDC"

cuongvo's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

The greens were going through aerification so I cannot tell how challenging they were. Overall nice course layout. I wish there were some holes along the ocean. They were all inland.