The Nicklaus Design Course at Vidanta Puerto Penasco

Jack Nicklaus and his son teamed up to design the course at The Nicklaus Design Course at Vidanta Puerto Penasco (formerly known as Peninsula De Cortes Golf Club and Peninsula Golf Club at Vidanta Puerto Penasco). Half of the layout plays along the Sea of Cortes while the other half wanders inland through native wetlands and desert vegetation. Long hitters will enjoy this golf course, which stretches to more than 7,000 yards. The Nicklaus team designed a challenging layout but the rugged terrain also deserves credit. They utilized not only the natural hazards but also the stunning views, which are as varied as the challenges. Every hole is framed by a backdrop of the desert, mountains, or sea. The signature hole is the par-3 sixth. On this tough hole you'll be met with a series of waterways that sits between the tees and the green complex, where four bunkers are also lurking.
The Nicklaus Design Course at Vidanta Puerto Peñasco
Scorecard for Puerto Peñasco
Black M: 74.9/143 474 551 412 180 425 180 540 344 433 3539 481 400 560 458 183 400 443 184 562 3671 7210
Blue M: 72.6/139 421 530 388 170 393 154 495 308 408 3267 444 360 520 425 171 369 410 172 501 3372 6639
White M: 71.4/135 W: 72.2/125 392 518 375 150 380 150 487 295 391 3138 412 345 508 417 158 357 357 169 490 3213 6351
Gold W: 70.5/123 336 400 298 115 328 120 408 233 329 2567 308 241 482 320 117 312 308 125 400 2613 5180

Year Built 2006
Fairways Salam Seashore Paspalum
Greens Salam Seashore Paspalum
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2006) Jack Nicklaus, Jr. (2006) Chet Williams (2006)

Pull-carts No

Caddies Yes

Walking Allowed No

Nichlaus at Puerto Penasco

EXCELLENT Course -- one of the best I have ever played.

Rhe most beautiful course in Rocky Point.

A must play while you're visiting Rocky Point. The course is challenging with decent elevation changes. The right mix of par 3,4 and 5s. Beautiful course.

Beautiful but tough

Beautiful course on the Sea of Cortez. My wife really liked it but I found it difficult and the course conditions to be inconsistent. I know it was 'out of season' but many of the fairways had been recently punched and we had multiple bare very muddy lies. It also appears they don't cut the grass on a regular basis as there were piles of clippings everywhere and the rough was punitive. Rough around bunkers was 10-12' deep.The greens were in excellent condition. Course did not play like a 'resort' course. Even from the white tees, I felt the course played very long. There are several holes on the Sea of Cortez which were beautiful. As a twosome, we played in 3 hours but when we went in for lunch at 11:30, we were told that the restaurant didn't open until noon. Unless I was staying at the Mayan Palace (which we weren't), I'm not sure I would play here again.

Amazing views

The course was in great shape and the views were absolutely amazing!!!

Puerto Oenasco Golf

Great course in great condition. Very challenging, play a tee box up from your normal game and you will be OK. Ocean on one side and estuary on the other, the views are fantastic.

As good as it gets

Ocean course with great views and finely manicured fairways and greens. What a course!! Pretty tough track for average golfer. Do yourself a favor and play shorter tees.

Excellent golf course

Beatiful golf course, with a nice challenging layout. Some holes are a blind shot, which makes it very interesting. Unfortunately the greens don’t give a true roll. They are a little slow, but other than that this a must play course if you are visiting the area. Will come and play it again

Great track

Second time we played this course this week - and will play it again tomorrow. By far this is the best course in Penasco. Course was in excellent condition and not busy at all - probably because of the time of year. Good practice facility with comp. balls. On course hostess was very friendly and attentive. Greens were a little slow but rolled true. Regular green fees are $125, but we got it for $53 through golf now.

May be the worlds hidden gem

Oceanside beauty with flawless conditioning.Its got the "oh wow" holes.Ocean views throughout the course and many holes on the beach.The 2 of us were the only players on course and the staff had washed my car by the time we finished playing.Check out the artwork in the on course restrooms.Maintenence has not declined in the 7 years we've been here.

A MUST PLAY

First off I have to say the course is a must play. We played this course twice. It was our First visit to rocky point for wife and I. We stayed at the grand mayan(also incredible) and our room was on the 15th hole of the course. They shuttled us over and the enjoyment began. The bag drop guys, Jose and Sergio, were very nice and got us set up on the cart. Checked in at pro shop. There is a six dollar each extra Mexico tax charge but course is well worth it. Wife and I teed off in 25mph winds. Best advice I can give is pick the appropriate tee boxes. Course can be tough especially throwing in the wind. I see, as I am in the golf business in Phoenix, way too many people play the wrong tees then complain the course is tough. This Nicklaus course is lush so don't plan on much roll on your tee shots. Now to the course. Everything was manicured. Tee boxes, fairways, and greens were plush. So many great holes not even counting the Ocean side holes that are so scenic. I would definitely play the course twice. There are a few blind holes and a few holes you are not sure on distance of hazards off tee box. I played one tee box up from the tips. The course is very challenging from there which is what I like. My wife played the senior tees which are by the ladies and the course is much easier from there. After our round we had a delicious lunch on the deck which had another great view. Final note: I have been golfing for over 37 years and played all over(Scotland, Hawaii, ect) and this course is in my Top 3 not counting the great value. The views are incredible, but again just make sure u pick the appropriate tee boxes so u can enjoy this course to the fullest.

Wind Blown

Despite the howling winds coming off the Sea of Cortez, we love this course. Great shape, great service!

Beautiful Course!

Always a great time playing this beaitiful course right on the gulf!

Amazing

This course is a real challenge wide fairways with lots of bunkers!! Greens roll fast and true and the ocean views are incredible!! We have played here 3 times now and we highly recommend it!!

too hard

Jack Nicolas and his dam sand traps. The course is very long 6400 for the guys. Not too many people play golf in the area of Mexico so pace of play was perfect.

Wish the weather was warmer. It was windy and 65....cool for this time of year.

Good course for the price

A definite play when in Puerto Peñasco