The Wilderness At Fortune Bay

Scorecard for Wilderness
Gold M: 75.3/142 649 472 220 410 364 464 157 525 396 3657 455 465 166 340 392 530 540 189 473 3550 7207
Blue M: 73.2/137 587 453 193 393 348 435 139 511 369 3428 430 427 157 325 374 507 517 174 433 3344 6772
Combo M: 71.8/134 562 426 166 393 348 375 139 511 369 3289 403 383 129 325 374 458 517 174 408 3171 6460
White M: 70.4/131 562 426 166 330 313 375 124 456 342 3094 403 383 129 301 341 458 486 144 408 3053 6147
Green W: 71.7/129 470 385 133 305 279 331 115 381 265 2664 343 333 107 277 304 376 438 114 368 2660 5324

Year Built 2004
Architect Jeff Brauer (2004) Wadsworth Golf Construction (2004)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Fivesomes Allowed No. Only with permission.
Dress code Collared shirt with dress pants/shorts. No blue jeans, t-shirts / cut off shorts are allowed.

Minnesota Advisor

An ABSOLUTE must play

The Wilderness at Fortune Bay is a one of a kind place and if you can, you should absolutely jump all over the opportunity. I tee'd off at 8AM, first time of the day. We arrived and right away a very nice man running the carts drove one out to us. Brand new carts with GPS, and I love it when places invest in nice carts. They have an extremely nice clubhouse and pro shop. A lot of items you can buy and it is very well put together. The restaurant is top notch. Awesome views of multiple holes while you eat, and they grill everything outside on the patio right by the 18th green. Their range is my favorite I have ever been on. The layout is very nice, accurate yardages to multiple greens and a large fairway landing area to try and pick your spots. The practice green is large and had landscaping all around it, including a little brook with bubbling water. I could putt there all day if they would let me. The course is amazing, the views are spectacular and if you like golf, you will love this place. Long holes, great greens and white sand bunkers. I love thick wooded courses and this course had me hooked the second I stepped on the grounds. A few holes are on Lake Vermillion and it really makes for a cool stretch of holes. The par 3's are some of my favorite I have played. The staff were all welcoming, nice and accommodating. It is a challenging course with a lot of obstacles but that is part of what makes it so great. They have some forced carries, plenty of water and strategic bunkers. I have played the 2 Giants Ridge courses and love them, but The Wilderness takes the #1 spot in my mind. I will drive 4 hours many, many more times just to play this course.

Commented On 11/26/2017

Thank you for your outstanding review and playing our course! The design of our course and north woods are beautiful. There are not many thick wooded golf courses in the country especially like ours. We are glad you enjoyed everything from the moment you stepped out of your car. Looking forward to seeing you next season!

Most Underrated Course in America

Played it twice in two days...averaged 4:07 to play 18. 17th and 18th rounds I've played at the Wilderness overall in the past 7 years and every single time it has been in IMMACULATE condition. I would contend that this course has the COUNTRY's best General Manager (in Tom Beaudry), best Golf Chef in Chef Quaid, best 19th Hole at The Wilderness Grille and is one of the most fun/beautiful rounds of golf you can find in America. Only 30 minutes from the twin Brauer courses at Giants Ridge, there is NO EXCUSE for anyone within 500 miles of here to not come up and play all three...and I'd expect The Wilderness to be your favorite.

Commented On 11/26/2017

Thank you for your loyalty! We always enjoy when you visit our property and your continued positive feedback. I will make sure to share your compliments with the Tom and Quaid. If anyone has a couple days they can set aside to play The Wilderness and Giants Ridge it is definitely worth the drive. See you in 2018!

Chicago Milwaukee Advisor

What a treat Fortune bay is!!

Buddy and I decided to make the trek up to upper Minnesota and boy are we glad we did. Tee'd off before 8 for 74 dollars which is a steal. This course had an amazing layout cut through the woods. Plenty of scenic holes and risk reward holes. Lots of 2 teared greens, that werw in perfect shape. Words dont describe how awesome this place was. You will not be disappointment at Fortune bay. Wish i could get the pictures on my computer to link to this review. Its a great course check it out NOW!

Commented On 11/26/2017

Thank you kindly for your review and making the trip up north! We are glad you were able to play our course this year and enjoy the layout designed by our course architect, Jeffrey D. Brauer. He really captured the beauty of our landscape and the shores of Lake Vermilion. We hope you can make the trip next year!

Northern Minnesota Golf at its finest

I have been making annual trips to the Wilderness golf course since it opened. So I have played in all kinds of weather (that happens in Minnesota). The Wilderness gives you spectacular views from all over the course. The course generally has wide fairways, and if you can stay in the fairways the course is very playable. Miss the fairways and the course will eat you up. Love to play this course. Choose the right tee box for your ability and you will love Northern Minnesota golf too.

Best Course in Minnesota

Giants Ridge, Brainerd, and the Twin Cities courses get all the publicity but this course is head and shoulders above all of them. The only thing you could hold against this course is the location but to get the northern woods feel and terrain it is also required. Beautiful rock outcroppings splitting fairways that seem like they were meant to be there, awesome green complexes, and views of Northern MN that can't be beat. I could go on for hours praising this course but you just need to try it yourself. The only course I've played in MN that is in the same stratosphere is The Quarry but even that feels more contrived than this beautiful set of holes. Do yourself and schedule a weekend to play this course multiple times because once isn't enough!

A friend and I took a golf trip to Minnesota and we played The Classic in Brainerd and we played both the Quarry and The Legend at Giants Ridge and this course was both of our favorites. We loved all the ways the rock was used in the course design.

We both played from the tips and we played 36 holes and it was really wet out because of rain and every time we hit our drives our ball would not roll at all so the course was playing very long. Looking forward to going back and playing it in faster conditions. In my opinion the best golf course in Minnesota! Staff was also great! I have Played golf courses all over the united states and I would rate this course in my top 5! A must play!

PGA quality course!

Expect to be treated well when arriving at the golf course. Someone is their to meet you with a cart and load your clubs if you need assistance. The practice range is included with your fee, so hit as many balls as you like. The course is spectacular!!! It had rained several days before I arrived, so it was cart path only and the fairways where swallowing up the golf balls, so playing from the championship tees made the course very LONG. I would recommend taking note of the course condition before choosing your tee box. Everything about the course was top notch. Tee boxes where perfectly level, and roughs and fairways where beautifully maintained with no reason to try to improve your lie. The greens rolled true and just the right speed. (around 10 I would guess) All carts where provided an upgraded GPS system which is one of the best I have seen. I would recommend this course to anyone who loves the game of golf. I travel for a living, and play all over the country. This course rates right with the best.

Wow

Shhhhhhhh. Don't tell Golf Digest, but this course, not The Quarry, is the best course in Minnesota! We played them both on a guys golf outing and I came away more impressed with The Wilderness. Every part. We stayed at the casino which is an 8-iron away from the clubhouse. We drove up to the clubhouse and were greeted warmly by the staff waiting with a cart. They removed our clubs from the vehicle and gave us a towel and sent us on our way. Blown away by the staff.....keep up the good work! The top notch customer service didn't stop there. From the guy firing up the grill outside, the clubhouse staff, the bartenders, the rangers.....everyone was courteous and friendly...cracking jokes and giving tips. I couldn't have asked for more. This is what every golf resort/course should strive to be.

The course conditions were immaculate. I don't remember any spots where we weren't impressed. There is a green that has a valley running through it. The pin placement was in the bottom of that valley. Seemed a bit Mickey Mouse to do that, but we laughed it off! Very scenic and all around fun. If you have the choice of northern Minnesota courses.....choose The Wilderness.

Northwoods Beauty

One of my favorite courses ever played and definitely one of the top courses in the state. Make a great weekend out of it by making a stop at The Legend at Giants Ridge and The Quarry at Giants Ridge. These 3 courses can compete with any golf destination in the US with a unique northwoods feel, at a fraction of the cost given peak season greens fees less than $100. Me and a few buddies make the trip every year for our Bogey Monster Open showdown