Streamsong Resort - Red Course

Caddies: Yes

Silver 72 6094 yards 69.4 119

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for a bucket list/top 100 pick a weekend splurge advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens elevation changes   Great for drinks amazing food dinner

"A scenic, entertaining walk"

RavensGolfer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/21/2017

The course lives up to all the praise and high ratings it has received. It’s a challenging but not outrageous layout, that mixes the scenery, elevation changes and just good solid golf hole design. You’ll see elements of their work at Pinehurst #2 with the sandy edges of fairways and very puttable approach areas around the greens. Greens are more subtle than their Blue and Black cousins, but there are more forced carries. Highly recommend taking a caddie.

xkyleclark3's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2017
Previously played Walked Windy weather

After my second round on the Red Course, I am still looking for redemption. The course was in fantastic shape. I have never played in as much wind as I did that day. It was actually playing into the putts which made it difficult. I don't need any help missing putts! I always enjoy my experience at Streamsong as this was my fourth visit to the property. Hoping to play the Black course in the near future. Must see Resort! The rooms are phenomenal.

"Great Golf Course with Scenic Views"

Kauffman2013's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2017

I played all three golf courses at Streamsong and the Red course was my favorite. The layout and scenery is terrific and the greens are not as difficult to read compared to the Blue and Black greens. The course is a good challenge from the combination tees. Fore-caddie Bud was awesome. Highly recommend this golf resort which is out in the middle of nowhere.

"Great Streamsong track"

u000005571978's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2017

We played the Red course on Twice in our short trip. We chose the combo tees and weren’t disappointed. Even from the estimated 6300 yds it was a solid test. The architects used elevation changes and existing dunes to frame the holes and create target lines and depth. After playing the Blue and Black courses, we thought that the greens on Red were the most fair and least undulating. The nines are definitely different in their level of difficulty with the back nine being the more challenging. It was a course which, if played well, invites you back and if played poorly pulls you back for another try.

Kudos go to the golf staff, caddies, bag drop attendants, shuttle drivers(Mercedes vans-great touch), restaurant staff and the nicest front desk staff we have experienced. Everyone was personable and friendly and genuinely committed to serving their guests.

"C&C golf at its finest"

EthanZimman's avatar
Virginia Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/29/2017
First time playing Walked Hot weather

The Red course at Streamsong by Coore & Crenshaw is subtly different than its sister (Blue). With generous fairways golfers of all abilities should enjoy making their way around the Red course. One key difference between the Red and Blue are on the greens. My personal opinion is the Red greens are more subtle in nature than most of the Blue allowing for a few more long putts to roll in...assuming you can find the right pace and line. There is plenty to admire on the course from the massive dunes to a few enormous bunkers.

The "signature" par 3 is number 16. A Biarritz green on steroids...easily 170 over water, the green is ~70 yards front to back with an equally enormous swale in the middle. Just an awesome hole.

"Isolation and Beauty: Red Edition"

toothysaw2's avatar
Texas Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2017
First time playing Walked Hot weather

Finally got to see the legendary Streamsong! It was everything I expected, and not what I expected at all!

For starters... calling this place remote is an understatement. It's a large and beautiful property, and it's not really close to ANYTHING. So don't plan multiple days here unless you are staying onsite. As you'd expect, the facilities are wonderful and the bar has an amazing selection of scotch... but you came here for golf...

I started my day walking the Red course. I got paired up with a couple fellas from NYC. It was a pretty slow moving day. They told me to expect a 4.5 hour round... that was about right, but it felt slower.

This course has some tough tee shots. There are some forced carries, and there are several holes where you have to really commit to the line you want to take. Bunkers are hungry for any wayward shots.

I didn't think the course played super fast (like Chambers or Tetherow), but the greens are definitely tricky and slippery.

The course is a masterful work of art. It's great to just take it all in.

While the course provides good variety and challenge, I expected it to be a little more brutal. At the end of the day, it's a resort course... it's challenging enough for skilled players, but not so challenging that a player of any skill level can't enjoy it. I think that's the right way to go to make this a mainstay of golf buddy trips for a long time.

"Awesome Course. Great Deal!"

MDLopez77's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Took advantage of the Unlimited Summer golf package. for a single it was 199$ per night (149$ double) for 2 nights, 3 days unlimited golf, then you get a 3rd night at the hotel free!

The courses themselves are very unique for florida and you feel like you are in a different place altogether. It is totally secluded and quite beautiful actually..especially in the morning and evenings.

The course was in good summer shape. It was extremely hot and humid but the course was still full in the morning hours. You can tell the course was designed for winter play...'firm and fast' as the grass goes dormant. As it was in the summer the course did not roll out as much as preferred and the fairways were kept longer than usual Id suspect...but they were still in great shape.

I played one day before the greens got sanded, then again right after..and honestly the sand made them easier to putt. Less of that summer grain to factor in. They probably rolled about a 10-11.

The bunkers are deep and have that waste bunker feel. The sand is thicker too, and your ball will PLUG into the deep slopes (happened 3 times for me) so avoid them at all costs!

The par 5s are all reachable in two, and there is a drivable par 4 as well.

Only complaint that I could see..and purely from a course ratings standpoint..is to have a combo tee on the card between the tips and the next tee. As is the tips are 7200 and the next tee is 6500...would be nice for a lot of good players that dont have the length to play the tips to have a rated option around 6900.

"Most overpriced golf in Florida"

Andyglad1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2017
First time playing Used cart

Spent 4 days at Streamsong. I cant believe this is a top 20 you can play.

The course layout is interesting. There are some spectacular holes. The first hole--a 460 yard par 4 uphill--is amazing. But the second hole is a par 5 of the same length. Just weird. I really liked the par 5s in general. But there are also some throw away holes. The par 3s for example, are some of the most unremarkable I've ever played (except for the par 3 16th hole). The two par 3s on the front side are 120-140 yard shots straight away with almost nothing interesting about them. It also makes no sense that there are no tees for the 10-15 handicappers. Either you're an 18+ or a scratch. But nothing in the 6500 range.

The conditions while we were down there was only okay--tee boxes had been let to grow out considerable, with dirt patches and clumps of patchy weeds throughout. Given the price, I was expecting immaculate conditions, and I was wrong.

What really got me was the staff friendliness (or lackthereof). We were treated like unwelcomed guests at a country club. Most of the staff were friendly enough, but we certainly were not welcomed as I expected to be.

The worst part about the course is the price. This is some of the most overrated, overvalued golf in the country. Their fees for the carts are absolutely punitive, and will DOUBLE the price of your round. It's absurd. And they nickel and dime you on everything else imaginable (they wanted $5 to deliver hats we bought from the course to the course hotel--you read that correctly).

This is a fun place to play golf, but not at the price they charge. It also doesn't even compare to comparably ranked courses. If I were to plan a golf trip, I'd pick a number of places over Streamsong.

"Unique Landscape on a Challenging Course"

Kaiser3963745's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2017
First time playing Walked Hot weather

I played as a single walker carrying my bag. Drove in from Anna Maria Island which was about an hour or so. Get gas before you leave civilization because I only saw one option on the way in. They only accept reservations via there website for 2+ golfers so you have to call and book as a single. Over the phone they wanted to pair me up with another twosome even though there were open tee times. I preferred to play as a single so I called back the day before to move my tee time which was no problem. If you are a single and want to book online you can via teeoff.com. I payed $125 as an out of state player and thoroughly enjoyed the course. When I arrived I parked in the lot on the left and walked up to the checkstand by the clubhouse where they tagged my bag and took it out to the putting green while I checked in. Range balls are included and they have a guy that will drive you out to the range in a cart and back which was nice. I carried my bag but would probably use one of the pushcarts they had available if I played again (Not sure if they charge for them). Walking through that unique landscape was amazing. It was very hot but they had a ranger on a golf cart that came by 3 times or so to offer water & cold towels and give me the ins and outs of the course. On the 3rd tee you get a great view of the new black course and the clubhouse being built. I grabbed a BBQ at the shack between 8 & 9 which was very good but I wouldn't count on that as your lunch, just a snack size. I had a very memorable time and loved the biarritz green on 16. I even ran into a baby fawn leaving 15 tee. They do have a bye hole (19th) that i forgot to play. Course condition was excellent and I hit a lot of fairways which helped my score. Some of the bunkers are intimidating so they must be avoided. I would love to come back and play the Blue and the Black one day soon!

"Pretty intimidating but fair.."

Nomie4544517's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2017

The first tee shot on 1 is pretty scary as your first swing. Visually stunning obviously not your typical Florida course. The course was awesome, tough tough greens.The staff were all great and our caddy AJ is highly recommended. AJ is very knowledgeable and understands how to let the players have a good time and not feel too much pressure. He's also a pretty cool caddy too. Halfway house has some delicious sandwiches try them! Love this place can't wait to play the blue and then black.

"Gem of course , on couse service not so"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2017

From the breathtaking opening tee shot you know you are in for a treat. Being from the mid Atlantic the fairways are tight, greens are firm fast and undulated. 3 putts are very easy to obtain. Played as a twosome and rarely had to wait. Took a pullcart, caddies are available $90 a bag plus gratuity. makes for an expensive round. Would have been nice to have a pin placement sheet for those not using a caddie. After a one hour lightning delay we headed back out , however beverage cart and BBQ hut we no longer open. Water was difficult to find. Would definitely play again. Will wait for black to open.

"Florida's #1 resort"

polishpal's avatar
Wisconsin Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2017
First time playing Walked Windy weather

My wife and I took a winter escape to Florida's #1 golf resort at Streamsong.

The distance from Tampa is about an hour and it literally is in the middle of nowhere.

the setting is very remote and having played my first Coore and Crenshaw course in Sand Valley 4 months before, I found them to be similar in regards to conditioning and playability as they play fast and firm. The unique terrain is what makes the course different. Elevation and water come into play on Red and they are not kind with the opening hole, a 440+ yard par 4! You can run approach shots into the greens and caddies are a must the scratch Florida's #1 resort off my list but do not first time you play as knowing the proper lines off the tee can make or break your round.

The walk is demanding even with a caddie. I can need to return as a must repeat.

"Driver beware on Streamsong Red"

JasonDeeganGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2017
First time playing Walked Wet weather

Streamsong Red can make your scorecard bleed if you're not driving the ball well. I found out the hard way during my round, landing in my fair share of trouble spots. There's more water lurking than on the Blue. Plus, Coore and Crenshaw peppered the landing areas with bunkers in the middle of the fairway or fingers of waste bunkers reaching out, ready to snatch your shot. It's an exhilarating test of golf in the sandy dunes of Streamsong in remote central Florida.

To me, Streamsong Red is all about how you fare on the half-par holes. By that, I mean, the first hole is a 464-yard par 4 from the black tees that I played. Hardly anybody makes par - bogey is the likely result - making the hole more like a par 4 1/2. If you make a four, you've gained at least a half a shot or more on the field. The same applies at no. 2 - a 508-yard par 5. It's reachable if you take the bold line off the tee up the right side taking on the water. It could be considered a par 4 1/2, technically. Short par 4s at no. 5 (312 yards) and no. 9 (271 yards) are par 3 1/2s with a good drive avoiding the sand. Taking advantage of these types of holes just might make your day even more memorable on this walking-only adventure (carts are available in summer).

"Underwhelmed"

JoeBDA's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/24/2017
First time playing Walked Windy weather

I had read so much about Streamsong and was overly excited to play it. Driving up the views were stunning, clubhouse is first class and the views around the putting green are awesome.

Played the Red, the 1st tee shot had my heart racing as you sit above the fairway and take in the entire hole.

It was windy that day, this added to some of my frustration, but my two biggest disappointments were the condition of the course, the was GUR everywhere and the greens were beat up .

Secondly, the greens were huge, which is fine, but a bit "gimmicky" in my opinion. Plus the pins were on humps and mounds which made a windy day even more frustrating.

The haldfway house has some seriously good smoked brisket, highly recommend that. The scenery was amazing as well. I would try it again, but was not impressed my 1st time out.

"Unique Florida golfing experience"

MstaKing10's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/13/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

Two amazing courses. Red is a bit tighter and a more interesting layout in my opinion. Blue is a bit wider and maybe more forgiving. Aside a few very memorable holes especially the par 3's, not as nice a layout as Red. Both offer a tough test of golf. Some tee boxes were surprisingly ratty, and I found a few patchy spots on the fairway. I had to actually find some relief at one point due to dirt patches around the greens. Greens were in immaculate shape and rolled true and FAST. The clubhouse is gorgeous and service and food at the restaurant were fantastic. Played 36 holes, no caddie, pull carts only. Started at 810AMD and finished the last hole of the day at 545PM and barely made it before the sun went down. Staff was still very helpful and helped us load up our golf clubs. Played here during peak season and pace of play was very reasonable. This was an exhausting way to experience Streamsong but given our tight travel schedule, this was the only way we could play both courses in one day (black was not open yet). Doable but very tiring! This is really a unique golfing experience, especially in Florida where golf courses are usually flat flat flat. If you can make it out there I highly recommend it.

"Great Course and Great Setting"

JustHaveFun's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/21/2016

This is a course that is worth the trip. The setting is gorgeous. The layout offers lots of different ways to play each hole. There are quite a few memorable holes. It is a unique course that I want to play again and again. Prefer this one slightly more than the Blue but it is real close.

"Top bucket list"

simon18's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/14/2016
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

Stayed at Streamsong for Tuesday-Friday in the middle of December. Played the Red Course, twice and the Blue once. I had the same caddie for all three days and Matt S, was excellent. The coursed conditions were tremendous and the greens just got faster each day.

It is certainly a high end destination, but so very well worth it. The food, the golf, the great rooms, exceptional service and the fishing were something I will always remember

Commented on 02/12/2017

Thanks for the question, Matt is from Wisconsin and worked at courses there. Hope you enjoyed as much as I didi!

None's avatar

Commented on 02/11/2017

Hey Simon ~

Nice review!

I'm about to head over to Streamsong for the first time. Curious about your caddie - he didn't happen to caddie at Bandon for a few years did he?

I know it's a shot in the dark, but thought I'd try...would love to have him on my bag if so.

Thanks!

kpkelley83's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/13/2016

"The Real Deal"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2016
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

This place oozes golf. The golf holes flow effortlessly from this abandoned phosphate mine. I actually preferred the Blue course to the Red, though most people like this course best. I love Coore/Crenshaw courses. The short par 4s that are one of their design staples is front and center on the Red. Holes 3, 4 and 5 are all shortish par 4s and is a great stretch. The 7th hole is one of the best-designed par 5s I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Watching second shots bound along the ground and feed into the green for the front-right pin placement we had today was really neat. The first and 12th holes are long par 4s that play at least half a shot higher. Finally, the 16th is a par 3 with a Biarritz green that is a lot of fun to play. I recommend taking a caddy, particularly if it is your first time around. The Lodge is fantastic with luxurious rooms. We ate dinner in the clubhouse restaurant and it was exceptional. You will require a short ride to the practice area from the clubhouse, so allow the necessary time. The Bye hole - a short par 3 - is a great way to settle unresolved bets or cap an afternoon. My only constructive feedback is that we stored our clubs overnight and when we arrived to the course the following morning, our clubs had been sat out in the sprinklers and everything was soaking wet and had to be dried before we played.

"Best of Florida"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2016

One of the best golf courses in the country and easily the best golf course in the state of Florida. It is an American Links style golf course built out of the phosphate mining grounds of Mosaic- a brilliant repurpose of the land.

Beautiful routing, great holes and great fun.