Style Parkland

Also known as Ageas Bowl County Golf Club.

Boundary Lakes Golf Course

Year Built 1999
Architect Weller Designs (2017) Stephen Ridgway (2017)

Carts Yes - GBP 30

Single Allowed Yes

Quirky course , blind holes and fairways slope greatly

At £20 a round. It’s ok buggies are expensive at £30 per round.. The Corse is busy. Greens on in fair condition but slow.
The course will be better when they add the two new holes.

It’s a nice course...

I would recommend a buggy in the heat as it gets very hilly toward the end has some interesting holes only played there as got it for £22 inc booking fee from tee off times and couldn’t play at our members course it’s a course you should play as it’s got some interesting holes

Very challenging

Very hard for high handicapper due to undulated fairways and greens. No easy hole. Course very well looked after and some stunning views.

A majestic course but far from easy

This course has so many amazing holes that are usually striking, as a high handicapper however I would have to call out that’s it’s very hard. Any slightly wayward shots or under/over hit shots are often harshly punished.
Definitely worth a play and if I were a better golfer I’d go more often but on my send visit I found it as staggeringly tough as the last time I played there.
If I were a lower handicapped player I wouldn’t hesitate in playing more as there are so many memorable holes but for now to keep my spirits up I need to mix with some easier rounds elsewhere.

Nice water features

A bit stoney when looking at some divots and not picked up by Garmin watch

Boundary Lakes

We had an enjoyable round. Some holes were pretty tricky especially 2. As there are no on course amenities, it’s worth sticking up from the pro shop before starting your round. There are plans for adding amenities around hole 9, in the future. Pace of play was slower than we would like, due to large groups in front of us, with very mixed abilities. The greens were fast and the sun was out. We’ll be back I am sure.

Slowest round ever!

The course is a great challenge and was in really good condition, not a place for the faint hearted mind as you really need to work your way carefully to keep on the fairways and greens.

What let it down today for sure was the amount of people they let out, seemed very crowded with a society in the middle that were rude beyond rudeness! I didn’t feel the club dealt with their very slow play at all and put a very sour note on the day for me and my playing partner with over 5 hours to get round a relatively short course, poor show.

I don’t think I’d go back, not because of the course but due to this overcrowding and no on course management.

Donkeyderbypro
Commented On 10/01/2018

It is unfortunate to judge staff friendliness on a slow group of golfers is it not?
Looks like tee times are every 8 minutes as standard on most courses.
I played at the weekend and the course marshal was sure to push us along if needed.
If it where me I would book again and check there are not too many in front.

A great test of golf

The course wasn't the longest on paper but surprised us all with its undulations and a testing start with plenty of lakes. The greens where very good as where the fairways after such a hot summer, I have played this course twice now and got a loyalty card which is a nice touch knowing my 6th round will be free. It is also much easier second time round. We played midweek which wasn't too busy and for £20 it was very good value for money, the staff where nice and friendly and bar staff really good.

All about greed!!!

The course was in a reasonable state but you knew it was going to be a bad day when there was a queue on the first. So 15 minutes late we tee’d off and it wasn’t much better from there. This course would benefit from slightly longer tee intervals as it feels like they have tried to jam as many people on as possible (all about money) and don’t care about the experience. We waited on all but two tee boxes so it was a long and boring round. Save your cash and go to one of the other local courses where there is a much better flow on the course.

A relatively short course so may not suit those who like to boom it out there. However if you are never going to hit 300 yard drives then this is a good layout that rewards good course management. Very wet and muddy when we played but so is everywhere else, all the same the greens were good and true. Defiantly plan to visit again in the spring/summer.

Challenging for higher handicappers

Took the opportunity to play my nearest course for the 1st time when I had an afternoon free from work, wife and kids! Got lucky with the weather which although cold and breezy was at least dry while I was playing. Considering it was mid January and there had been a fair amount of rain leading up to my round, the course was in pretty good condition, definitely squelchy underfoot in places but virtually no standing water at all. Greens I thought were in excellent condition and unexpectedly quick (my putt rolled off the green on the 3rd!). Having walked through the course to get to the cricket ground numerous times, I'd always thought the 1st hole looked to be tricky especially for a higher handicapper like me with water long and right (not good news for those with a tendency to slice/fade) an inconveniently placed bunker left and a seemingly very small safe area. I managed to avoid those hazards but only due to topping my tee shot into the ditch running along the right of the Tee box! 3rd shot off the tee managed to find safety thank goodness and I was off. I really enjoyed the round despite some indifferent golf. Yes there are several blind shots which for someone of my ability is a little disconcerting especially when you are hitting into greens blind. There is significant motorway noise up to the first 5/6 holes, did that distract from my enjoyment-not really. The course while not long is hilly and yes by the 15th I was tired (but I am nearly 50!). Did that distract from my enjoyment - no, would I get a buggy next time - no. I didn't have any problems with the signage on course or distances from green to next tee - a bit of a walk in some cases but really not a drama. I found this was a course I had to really think hard about every shot - unlike some courses where you can almost play on autopilot. For me it offered more than the usual flat mundane holes you so often find on a public course - there is lots of elevation change on the back 9 especially and a lot of greens that you absolutely cannot afford to miss. There are some tough undulating greens which I can imagine when they firm up during the summer would be a real challenge. Overall I really enjoyed the course, it is certainly challenging but no less enjoyable for that and I will definitely be returning.

This is a good winter course

Course was in good condition considering the time of year. All greens open and very playable. This is a short course but doesn’t suffer for that with a good variety of approaches and plenty of water. As a new course there is room for improvement hole topography boards are needed on the tees. Also, directions to the course from the road network is desperately needed.

Over priced and poor signage

Some nice holes and great views. It was cold and windy when we played and holes 4, 5 and 6 were shut so we were offered to play 1,2 and 3 again at the end of the round.
Several pathways were made up of old bricks, bits of tarmac or rubble which is not what you expect on a new exclusive course.
Signs on the course are too few and far between which meant we weren't quite sure which way we were supposed to go next.
Tees need a brief map showing the hole, like someone other courses do.
Staff helpful and friendly but course needs some work before we even consider playing it again.

Enjoyable round

It was the first time I had played this course. It was a challenge and there are plenty of traps and water hazzards to avoid.

I found the hole 3-4 signage confusing and eventually found hole 5-6. This could be improved; the cards have no hole map on the reverse like may other courses. It’s a large course I am hiring a buggy next time.

Practice net, there was only one and one person can use this at a time, so practice area is limited.

Good mixture of long holes and shorter challenging holes. The greens where fast.

Aiming for another round here next two weeks.

Interesting fun course

The greens were superb, fast and smooth
Course layout is quite tight
A good mix of holes, plenty of water
Round was really slow, but not unexpected as it is a resort course
Would love to play again

A very enjoyable round

It's a really nice course. Good layout with some tricky, but interesting holes. As per some other reviews you can clearly hear the motorway and it is a very hilly course, but I would definitely play here again. At £18 it was a steal. Would think about a buggy next time though!!

Great test for all handicaps

My second round at Boundry Lakes front nine is better than back nine
Got some lovely holes
Quite hilly on some holes, so for me it's better with a buggy
Quite s few blind shots ,which is great fun if you play them right of course ,I lost a few balls because of this but hey that's golf
Overall really beautiful. Challenging golf course good paced greens,need to plot your way around to have a good day.

A hilly challenge

Even though the course is not very long position off the tee is all important, the fairways are good but the greens were a bit spongy and slow. For a new course it's definitely worth a round

Nice but Noisy!

It has been many years in the making since the County Golf Club on the same site was closed, and it has taken quite a number of years to get this new course open. Bit disappointed to see in one or two of the reviews as as of today, the course has been open just 5 weeks so it is expected to have a few gremlins.
Signing on, golf shop etc is all in the attached Hilton Hotel and the only eating and refreshments available are also in there and are truthfully, quite expensive - in truth, avoid!
The first thing that hits you on the first tee is the noise, the nearby M27 is very very noisy, such so that normal conversation is impossible, and for the first 5 or 6 holes, is quite distracting.
The course itself is a mix of very varied holes indeed, but although only 5511 yds off whites, it is a tough walk indeed, and you will need no excuse to have a buggy if you wish, the only problem here being again the high cost, £30! The shortage in length is really made by the fact that there are 7 par 3's,whilst conversely there are 4 par 5's, all of which are very challenging.
As of today, the sculptured greens are fine, not as fast as some, but again, very new, the fairways are really good and the rough is far enough away and not too heavy, although there are large areas of thick clover, which can easily gobble up a ball. The biggest disappointment on the course are the tees, these have obviously not had the same attention as the rest of the course and are not very good as yet.
Making the walk also seemingly hard work is the fact that there are a number of long distances between green and next tee, with the worst being a 150 yard trudge up a steep hill to the 10th tee only to hit straight back down to a not very good par 4.
All in all, a nice new course which I am certain will be a popular addition to the Southampton scene, but until more golf orientated facilities are encompassed, is not really suitable for societies.
The course is bound to improve, but I fear also that when it does, so the costs will go up.

Valid dates: Sep 16, 2019 - Mar 31, 2020