Boundary Lakes Golf Course

Red (W) 69 4503 yards N/A N/A

mikebabey's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2018
First time playing Walked Wet weather Verified Purchaser

A relatively short course so may not suit those who like to boom it out there. However if you are never going to hit 300 yard drives then this is a good layout that rewards good course management. Very wet and muddy when we played but so is everywhere else, all the same the greens were good and true. Defiantly plan to visit again in the spring/summer.

"Challenging for higher handicappers"

Southcoasthammer's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/19/2018
First time playing Walked Cold weather

Took the opportunity to play my nearest course for the 1st time when I had an afternoon free from work, wife and kids! Got lucky with the weather which although cold and breezy was at least dry while I was playing. Considering it was mid January and there had been a fair amount of rain leading up to my round, the course was in pretty good condition, definitely squelchy underfoot in places but virtually no standing water at all. Greens I thought were in excellent condition and unexpectedly quick (my putt rolled off the green on the 3rd!). Having walked through the course to get to the cricket ground numerous times, I'd always thought the 1st hole looked to be tricky especially for a higher handicapper like me with water long and right (not good news for those with a tendency to slice/fade) an inconveniently placed bunker left and a seemingly very small safe area. I managed to avoid those hazards but only due to topping my tee shot into the ditch running along the right of the Tee box! 3rd shot off the tee managed to find safety thank goodness and I was off. I really enjoyed the round despite some indifferent golf. Yes there are several blind shots which for someone of my ability is a little disconcerting especially when you are hitting into greens blind. There is significant motorway noise up to the first 5/6 holes, did that distract from my enjoyment-not really. The course while not long is hilly and yes by the 15th I was tired (but I am nearly 50!). Did that distract from my enjoyment - no, would I get a buggy next time - no. I didn't have any problems with the signage on course or distances from green to next tee - a bit of a walk in some cases but really not a drama. I found this was a course I had to really think hard about every shot - unlike some courses where you can almost play on autopilot. For me it offered more than the usual flat mundane holes you so often find on a public course - there is lots of elevation change on the back 9 especially and a lot of greens that you absolutely cannot afford to miss. There are some tough undulating greens which I can imagine when they firm up during the summer would be a real challenge. Overall I really enjoyed the course, it is certainly challenging but no less enjoyable for that and I will definitely be returning.

"This is a good winter course"

pearsojw's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/10/2018

Course was in good condition considering the time of year. All greens open and very playable. This is a short course but doesn’t suffer for that with a good variety of approaches and plenty of water. As a new course there is room for improvement hole topography boards are needed on the tees. Also, directions to the course from the road network is desperately needed.

"Over priced and poor signage"

t169907267's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/07/2018

Some nice holes and great views. It was cold and windy when we played and holes 4, 5 and 6 were shut so we were offered to play 1,2 and 3 again at the end of the round.

Several pathways were made up of old bricks, bits of tarmac or rubble which is not what you expect on a new exclusive course.

Signs on the course are too few and far between which meant we weren't quite sure which way we were supposed to go next.

Tees need a brief map showing the hole, like someone other courses do.

Staff helpful and friendly but course needs some work before we even consider playing it again.

"Enjoyable round"

StevePerryuk's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2017

It was the first time I had played this course. It was a challenge and there are plenty of traps and water hazzards to avoid.

I found the hole 3-4 signage confusing and eventually found hole 5-6. This could be improved; the cards have no hole map on the reverse like may other courses. It’s a large course I am hiring a buggy next time.

Practice net, there was only one and one person can use this at a time, so practice area is limited.

Good mixture of long holes and shorter challenging holes. The greens where fast.

Aiming for another round here next two weeks.

"Interesting fun course"

Jsharp16's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2017

The greens were superb, fast and smooth

Course layout is quite tight

A good mix of holes, plenty of water

Round was really slow, but not unexpected as it is a resort course

Would love to play again

"A very enjoyable round"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017

It's a really nice course. Good layout with some tricky, but interesting holes. As per some other reviews you can clearly hear the motorway and it is a very hilly course, but I would definitely play here again. At £18 it was a steal. Would think about a buggy next time though!!

"Great test for all handicaps"

dellimore's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2017

My second round at Boundry Lakes front nine is better than back nine

Got some lovely holes

Quite hilly on some holes, so for me it's better with a buggy

Quite s few blind shots ,which is great fun if you play them right of course ,I lost a few balls because of this but hey that's golf

Overall really beautiful. Challenging golf course good paced greens,need to plot your way around to have a good day.

"A hilly challenge"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2017

Even though the course is not very long position off the tee is all important, the fairways are good but the greens were a bit spongy and slow. For a new course it's definitely worth a round

"Nice but Noisy!"

UKgolftour's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2017
First time playing Walked Hot weather

It has been many years in the making since the County Golf Club on the same site was closed, and it has taken quite a number of years to get this new course open. Bit disappointed to see in one or two of the reviews as as of today, the course has been open just 5 weeks so it is expected to have a few gremlins.

Signing on, golf shop etc is all in the attached Hilton Hotel and the only eating and refreshments available are also in there and are truthfully, quite expensive - in truth, avoid!

The first thing that hits you on the first tee is the noise, the nearby M27 is very very noisy, such so that normal conversation is impossible, and for the first 5 or 6 holes, is quite distracting.

The course itself is a mix of very varied holes indeed, but although only 5511 yds off whites, it is a tough walk indeed, and you will need no excuse to have a buggy if you wish, the only problem here being again the high cost, £30! The shortage in length is really made by the fact that there are 7 par 3's,whilst conversely there are 4 par 5's, all of which are very challenging.

As of today, the sculptured greens are fine, not as fast as some, but again, very new, the fairways are really good and the rough is far enough away and not too heavy, although there are large areas of thick clover, which can easily gobble up a ball. The biggest disappointment on the course are the tees, these have obviously not had the same attention as the rest of the course and are not very good as yet.

Making the walk also seemingly hard work is the fact that there are a number of long distances between green and next tee, with the worst being a 150 yard trudge up a steep hill to the 10th tee only to hit straight back down to a not very good par 4.

All in all, a nice new course which I am certain will be a popular addition to the Southampton scene, but until more golf orientated facilities are encompassed, is not really suitable for societies.

The course is bound to improve, but I fear also that when it does, so the costs will go up.

"Big let down"

Geoff5732's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

Like others, waited with baited breathe to play this new course.. shouldn't have bothered, very disappointed! I'll be brief, definitely not a typical members club, more like a Hilton hotel corporate attachment.

Course layout is awful, course directions & general info none existent, you need gps and hill climbing equipment just to find your way around! I could not believe how undulating most holes were (are), hard to recall any flattish holes without any blind shots?

Considering it's a new course, general grounds maintenance is quite poor, although greens are nice, or will be once settled and bedded down, presently very spongey & very slow/long, but fairways, bunkers & tees are to be fair generally quite good. Another headache is the nearby m27 traffic noise, near deafening in numerous areas.

Finally, I am truly amazed at the other earlier reviews posted by others, they bare virtually no true resemblance to what you'll find for yourself if you choose to play this course.

"Test of course management"

LeePage's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2017

A new course but long anticipated. Boundary Lakes doesn't disappoint.

Not long by modern day standards but each hole tests your club selection and shot placement. Get it right and you are rewarded with a good approach shot to the green, get it wrong and your recovery shot needs to be perfect.

Greens are undulating and challenging.

Plenty of water to keep your heart racing and fantastic landscaping around the opening and closing holes.

A fantastic course highly recommended at a reasonable price.

t1154331234's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017

Very slow play ,groups not spaced out enough,seems a bit cramped in places some nice holes but a bit disappointing as a long time in the making

"Great course"

t1813431279's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2017

After waiting many years for this course to open, I was chomping at the bit to play here.

On arrival the staff are very friendly and we were quickly in our way to the 1st tee. The layout of the course works wonderfully and it is immaculate, except for a few areas where it is still bedding in.

During our round we let 6 two balls play through us. We appeared to be the only group larger then two out there. That was a little frustrating as it took us nearly five hours to get round.

My only gripe here is the price. only a £4 saving for golf after 1pm seems a little harsh. £40 for a buggy also seems steep considering every other course I have played in the area was £24 max. Even though they have GPS fitted it does seem excessive.

My society were looking to play here on a weekend, however, the website only advertises weekday society days. This is understandable due to this being a busy period.

In summary I would highly recommend this challenging course. I would play here more often if the price weren't so steep.