Axe Cliff Golf Club

Year Built 1894
Architect James Braid (1894)

Credit Cards Accepted Visa

A good days play

We virtually had the course to ourselves all afternoon. Some challenging holes with good views of the Jurassic Coast. An open course allowing for wayward drives to be not severely punished A few crossovers and blind crests which are easier now that we’ve played the course before. Only downside to the day were the greens which were patchy and bobbly.

Good value round

An enjoyable course although it wasn't in the best of conditions after long bouts of rain. The wet course meant buggies were not allowed which sadly meant that one of our party couldn't play. Only 3 holes had temp greens though which was good bearing in mind recent weather. Find the mid-round par 5's a bit unmemorable slog. One of our favourite local courses.

Dangerous course, very slow play

There are a lot of criss-crossing holes on this course. There are also a lot of blind shots and tee boxes right next to greens on long holes. Being an inconsistent golfer (I miss right, left, long, short, depending on all manner of factors) I was constantly worried that I would be endangering other players. And just because you couldn't see anyone up ahead didn't necessarily mean the coast was clear. I spent a lot of time walking forward to check my landing area was clear.
Despite this delay in my play, I was progressing at a decent rate. But by the time I'd got to about hole 11 I'd caught up with the 2 ball in front. They were very friendly and offered for me to go ahead. I declined on the basis that they were themselves stuck behind a load of 4 balls who were not letting anyone through. And the pace of play from these groups was absolutely shocking. I was spending upwards of 10 minutes per tee waiting around, and often having to wait for second shots also.
The 2 ball behind me and the single chap behind them had all caught up by this point so we continued as a 4 ball. Even so, we were spending a lot of time waiting around.
In fact it was so bad, the 2 ball ahead, and the 2 ball who'd joined me, finished on hole 16 and returned to the clubhouse. It was painfully slow.
The greens weren't in great condition to be honest, weeds in places, and slow and unreceptive.
It's a shame because there were some fun holes with some interesting decisions to make. And amazing views. But I will not be returning in a hurry.

excellent but you need a buggy as a lot of blind holes you need to drive up and check and the course is very very very hilly!

Axe Cliff - Enjoyable 18 holes

An unusual course with a few bling holes so tricky to judge first time around. Very helpful locals and members will point you in the right direction if you get lost. Some stunning holes on the cliff edge but would be very tough on a windy day. We were lucky and course played well and was actually very enjoyable.

Course with great views

Played this course after a spell of overnight heavy rain and bearing that in mind, there was little sign of it out on the course. Course was very quiet, probably due to the preceding weather. Weather fairly clear and so we could admire the good views on our way round. Course has several challenges and the greens lush and true. On the more exposed holes we had to contend with gale force winds which made putting and driving difficult. Several criss crossing holes might hinder play if busy.

Ax Cliff

Brilliant seaside course. Played it a few times now and happy to travel to play. A real challenge when windy but fun with some interesting links type holes which are testing at the best of times.
Wonderfully value compared to many course n the area that we play.

Sidmouth, East Devon