Batchwood Golf & Tennis Centre

White 71 6509 yards
Yellow 70 6161 yards
Red (W) 73 5702 yards
Scorecard for Batchwood Golf & Tennis Centre
White M: 69.7/119 484 337 140 377 424 210 465 372 218 3027 444 435 403 353 344 359 144 488 471 3441 6468
Yellow M: 69.0/118 W: 72.7/125 469 326 128 349 416 189 418 363 192 2850 434 426 351 347 339 337 137 478 451 3300 6150
Red W: 71.2/121 409 298 115 344 367 173 396 337 180 2619 388 410 333 318 318 328 124 445 420 3084 5703

Year Built 1935
Architect John Henry Taylor (1935)

Needs more TLC

Firstly, the course is promoting booking through tee-off times/golf now yet when on arrival they have no record of your booking and someone else could have reserved the same time over the phone direct with the course. Then my playing partner who arrived separately from goes and pays for his round even though I have prepaid to tee-off times, It's a shambles.

So it's very cheap and very quiet. A lot of the bunkers are missing rakes and the absence of distance markers on a lot of the holes is annoying. Greens not great.

I've played it quite a few times and really want to like it but it's the worst condition I've seen it.

True value

The course has suffered from the hot weather. It is recovering slowly , the greens are fine albeit a tad slow but that’s understandable they are protecting them . Tee boxes are not too bad , all in all it’s really good value for money and for a public course a fair test . All four of us who played ranging from 6 hcap to 28 will return .

We played when it was raining and had rained for a couple of days. But the fair ways were not to bad at all. And apart from 1 green the water did not lay. Nice course and would definitely play there again.

rubbish round of golf

Tee off first hole caught the first group up in front 3 ball after one shot and waiting on the tee for 15 mins then the next hole 9 people were playing golf all together holding all of us up. Called club house but they was not interested at all so time we got to hole 3 it had taken us 1 hour the whole way around was so long having to wait hold back on shots and you must watch out for the public kids riding there bikes across the fairways without thinking about balls.

Average condition

We played this course earlier in the year and it was in much better condition. The fairways were very bare in places so we decided to implement pick and place. The greens were also patchy and very slow. But for £10 very good value for money, a fairly demanding course.

A public course

Fairly obvious this was a public course, unfortunately. My playing partner (who's a single figure handicapper) commented that it was obvious the greens hadn't been cut for a few days. We had to wait 3-4 times for Joe/Joanne public to walk aimlessly across, down or around the course. Having shouted fore at another who seemed to be engrossed in something near the 8th green before retiring, with his dog, back to the tree presumably whence he'd come, I was relieved to see the ball which he'd been totally oblivious to, fell short of hitting him. Many of the distance markers had been either moved, swapped or removed which was frustrating. As new comers, it was somewhat confusing when pin flag colours randomly changed making it hard to judge which green we were supposed to be aiming for.

Nothing which investment in some dedicated greenkeepers and a course marshal wouldn't fix.

Buggies were available and the 19th is the Leisure Centre with no obvious bar, etc. There was no pro shop and you pick-up your booking, card or pay for the round, extras, etc. at the main reception desk which isn't obvious when first arriving in the car park.

Sadly not a course we will be returning to anytime soon.

Lovely course

A lovely course. Well kept and a fair test for any golfer. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Excellent value at £10 for a round. It's by no means a top course but I've played others that costed more than were a lost worse.

would i play here again?

It was cold and windy for May. I have played here before in the winter, when i thought the greens were much better than this time. I would not play here again if the greens are not improved. If the average green speed is 7/8 than these greens were 0/1.

Good course

nice course. Picturesque and super fast round. Would definitely play here again.

Can't beat this course for value for money

Just unbelievable value for money, amazing course a must play! Thanks tee off times.

This course kept well

A good days golf . Course in excellent condition still playing off normal tees. Even the sun came out not bad for December..

Keep it Simple, Stupid

Nothing glam here, just plain old golf to be played. Given its a municipal with gyms and other activities it doesn't 'feel' like a golf club but in terms of getting out there and knocking the ball about. What more could you want? Course keeping up to scratch even after a 24 hr down pour! I'd like to see some water (just my preference) but there are enough bunkers, trees and bends to test. Will go back but make sure your expectations are set correctly in order not to be disappointed. Its not Ryder Cup so dont expect it to be :o)

Excellent Value and Very Friendly

Sunday afternoon in November and we had great weather, a great course and excellent value for money and almost the entire course to ourselves. Pace of play was excellent with no delays and the course was in good condition considering the time of year. On arrival we were met by next year's Captain who couldn't have been more welcoming. Would definitely recommend.

Batchwood Hall

An impressive sounding name that unfortunately didn't live up to the title. The course was in reasonably good condition, greens were ok, I would have expected a lot better bearing in mind the fantastic weather we've had this year. My main issue with the venue was the ridulously slow pace of play. We had two groups of members in front whom were possibly the slowest players I've ever had the misfortune of being behind. When we got to the ninth hole a member of Staff checked our cards/receipts, when politley asked if there was any way of speeding the pace of play up (at one point 4 groups on a hole), shoulders were just shrugged and off he sped in his buggy. Another issue that there was no pro shop/?bar open. The leisure centre that is linked to the course has a cafe but we fancied a beer so gave that a miss and went our separate ways. It has the opportunity of being a good venue however not enough care is being taken, if I was a member I would be wondering where my yearly fees are going to. flags that don't have collars at the bases so don't sit in the holes correctly etc. All in all a dissapointing round/experience.

Greens well maintained! Very friendly staff.

Our tee time was set up for 7:36 am. When we arrived, we were told we couldn't golf until 8:36 because Sunday mornings are reserved for the members. We were a little bummed because we drove for an hour to get there on time. However, the staff were very nice and accommodating. So, we practiced chipping and putting a little then off we went. Just very glad they had a cart available.

Harpenden, St. Albans