Slope N/A
Rating N/A
Cavendish Golf Club
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 1925
Architect Alister MacKenzie (1925) Jonathan Gaunt (2011) Steve Marnoch (2011)

Carts Yes - GBP 25

Bar, Bistro, Catering

Clubhouse, Lounge, Banquet Facilities

Available Activities

Billiards

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Great Britain & Ireland (2019 #9)

This is one of the best courses in the Northwest. When we played the weather was terrible for the first few holes but it cleared up by the fifth and I'm glad we carried on. The course is a really good layout with lots of variety in the holes and the views are truly stunning. I'll definitely be going back in the spring or summer to play again.

Brilliant course

Club pro was great, gave us a good run down of the course, the course for October was in brilliant condition and the greens were fantastic. Didn’t have to wait on a shot. Will be back again

From tee to green the course is in fantastic condition, especially the greens which are undulating and lightening fast. Not the longest of courses but the layout presents lots of challenges and the scenery is beautiful. Will be returning to play this gem.

Amazing course

Fantastic course. Very well maintained and very challenging. Excellent value.

If you get the chance

This course is just fantastic.
Starts nice and easy and just gets better . The greens are some of the best I've ever played on , true and quick , undulating and tricky . Just because this is not along course dont think it's easy. If your looking for a true test of golf then have a go . The fairways are great and there is some stunning holes with great views. A pleasure to play and will be back .the best course for the money you can play . The food is really good in the 19th hole aswell as the beer . CHEERS

Ex Jockeys GS Cavendish Golf Day

The staff when booking the golf society were very helpful and they were excellent during the day when we played. The Cavendish GC was very welcoming. The facilities were excellent and the course in general was in very good condition (just the bunkers need a little attention and the slits that haven’t healed on one or two fairways), but all 16 of us enjoyed the course. One or two of the greens are different levels, so a little testing, but a welcome challenge . In general the greens were in very good condition and quick to say the least. The course is challenging and therefore does require some course management, but it was very enjoyable. The 18th hole is very challenging (I was glad to get to the 19th lol). We will definitely be back, 3 years in a row.

Cavendish - McKenzie Masterpiece

3rd time playing here, 1st time windy, 2nd time dry & hot, 3rd time wet & rainy but it didn't matter - the course is a great test of all abilities, superb greens & holes of such variation and imagination. Even if the golf isn't as good as you'd like, the setting and scenery will compensate; staff are very friendly and helpful - cant recommend this place enough - I live over an hour away and worth the trek without hesitation

Great welcome

We arrived to a great friendly welcome from the young lady in the pro shop who’s birthday it was. The course was in great condition the members were very friendly and the views around the course were stunning. We are looking forward to going back and playing one of the best courses again. Anyone who has played here and has not enjoyed the experience cannot be a lover of the sport.

Everybody needs to give this one a try!

Extremely friendly and helpful lady Pro and assistant which is a good sign of an open, progressive and welcoming club. Good facilities for warm up and practice putting etc. The course looks amazing when you step onto the 1st tee and from there on in it doesn't disappoint. Tee boxes have a hole map with relevant yardages and out of bounds detailed. Perhaps one or two need updating but maybe this is due to some features being marked that no longer exist. Fairways marked with clear yardage markers which seems to be rare on courses in my (perhaps limited) experience. Every hole looks a treat when you tee it up and the greens make it a good challenge where it feels like getting within 5 feet is a good result. Good size greens which is a rarity - this course doesn't need to defend itself with small greens like a lot of courses do as the slope and pace of them does this properly! They are in fantastic condition being firm and a consistent surface. You are made to think about where is the best place to put your tee shot and then hopefully execute the approach into the green. Some good long par 4's which require accurate tee and fairway shots to remind you this is far from being a driver and wedge course despite its relatively short length. The par 3's numbered 9 and 15 with elevated tees are a treat and remind me why I love golf. The 18th hole is amazing from start to finish with a nice tee box set in the trees requiring a slight fade while still trying to hold the left-to-right sloping fairway. A proper finishing hole with an inviting green and nice clubhouse in the background. I can't wait to go back and play. I would play every week if I lived closer - In fact, I would join as a member if I did. I can't think of another course that has made me want to become a member! First class.

Awesome

First time playing Cavendish loved every minute of it . Course was little bit wet as been few days of heavy rain but didn't dampen the experience one bit great course great layout greens immaculate will definitely be returning for another round

You need to try this course!

What a fantastic day we had. Cavendish kindly allowed myself and 3 others to play two rounds on a very busy day as we completed the McMillan Longest day golf challenge to raise funds for charity. The event was organised at late notice which concerned us regarding tee off times. Cavendish were brilliant - we found everyone so accommodating and in full support.. The staff were so warm and friendly offering us support along the way. The members were equally great allowing us to play through without any issues despite it being on a busy comp day.

In regards to the course - it was in a fantastic condition, especially the greens which were first class. The course offers lots of unique challenges which provides for a fun and exciting round. Cavendish is a thinkers course - its clearly been methodically thought out and the green staff have done a wonderful job to to shape it so that you cant just go round with a driver and a wedge like some courses. The views and scenery are breathtaking and on a hot and sunny day like the one we had, it felt like you could have been in Florida or the Algarve.

Well done Cavendish.

Wonderful course that never stops giving :)

I'd heard a lot about Cavendish and it didn't disappoint. What a gem of a course and I'm not sure you'll find a better value Top 100 course...£37.50 midweek!!

1-3 get you warmed up and you already realise that the greens here are the speciality. Never a flat one and don't get above a hole! 4 is a spectacular par 3 surrounded by trouble before the 5th which is a brute. 6 and 7 are just beautiful holes with the woods and the rhododendron. 9-12 is possible the best loop I've played - if you still have a card going well played. 15 nearly brought me to tears and I'd rate 18 as a good a finishing hole as any course, anywhere! Wow.

Thanks Cavendish. I look forward to returning to have a beer on the terrace and to conquering your spellbinding greens!

Best deal in English golf

Cavendish may well be the best value-for-money green fee in England. Less than £40 (less than £30 for a twilight rate) to play one of Alister Mackenzie’s best designs - and one that has thankfully not been changed too much - is an absolute bargain.
Do not be fooled by the relatively short yardage. It certainly doesn’t feel short when you’re playing it and there’s enough interest in and around the fantastic set of greens to challenge even the best players.
Most importantly - it’s great fun!

A hidden gem.

First time I have played Cavendish, & I was very impressed by everything about the course. Not long, but tricky on a lot of holes with the sloping fairways & greens. Very picturesque scenery, & yes in places it does remind you of Augusta.

The greens were in very good condition, as was all the course. If you are anywhere near Buxton you should definitely give this lovely course a visit!

A course worth travelling to and spending the day at

We travelled 65 miles to play this course having seen its 5 star reviews on GolfNow. I am glad we did as the course is absolutely lovely, some really challenging holes mixed in with some very different holes which need 5 minutes planning your approach on the tee box. A mixture of raised tee boxes, natural features such as streams and valleys, along with many holes which would be signatures on other courses. As a 9 handicapper I felt the course was challenging enough to make me want to return and play it differently next time, now I have seen how the greens are laid etc. We are planning on a 36 hole visit again soon, once the clubhouses are open again so we can sample the food and hospitality too. But, if you love a thinking course with holes where you want to take a picture on each tee, then go here and you won't be disappointed.

Classy Cavendish is a must play

This great course is well worth a visit - a terrific layout in stunning scenery

The greens are the courses main defence deigned my Alistair Mackenzie -they are worth the green fee alone

Keep up the great work Cavendish

Buxton, High Peak