Type Private
Cherry Lodge Golf Club

Year Built 1969
Architect Weller Designs

Carts Yes - GBP 25

good course, friendly staff and members

Easy to book in at Pro Shop. Staff and members/other players we met on course were very friendly. Course in great condition, greens soft to land on but fast to putt.
Great weather meant that, all in all, a great round of golf.

DO NOT JOIN

Joined as a flexible member.
tried to play 2 rounds
1st round the greens were like a bog due to no drainage and tee boxes only a little better
2nd round in hot weather half the fairway bunkers were GUR
Apparently they made a choice between cutting the fairways and sorting the bunkers.

Tough rough

Had a great day - course in good shape and greens great. Only criticism would be that the tees had not been cut and were all slightly too long. Rough was treacherous and once ball went in, no point in looking as was well and truly gone.

First visit, made a good impression

Nice course, varied challenges all the way round. Pretty tight in places, so some course management required.

Still recovering from the recent bad weather so there was plenty of work being caught up on. Greens were true and relatively speedy. They're still working on getting the rough cut and in places it was brutal trying to escape.

Staff in clubhouse very friendly.

Good course

The course was in good condition, the fairways are very good and the greens are tricky and fast. A good challenge for all levels of player. I will play it again.

green in very good condition and fairways good will play course again but not on Wednesday till after 12 as this is ladies day

Nice course, abysmal greens

Played Cherry Lodge for the third time yesterday and left largely disappointed at the standard of the greens.

I appreciate that the course is undergoing some maintenance but the greens were the worst I've played. Bobbly, spiked and grass half an inch long. It ruined our round.

A member of our group summed it up perfectly - "it's like putting on a really poor fairway".

Shame, as the course layout is good, tee boxes and fairways were in fair condition and the speed of play was good.

Huge reservations about returning anytime soon.

Great course but awful members.

One of the best courses I've played in a long time. Would 100% recommend this to anyone. The one downside to this is a ridiculous rule of having to wear white socks. The pro was very polite in the way they approached it, but having to purchase a pair of socks for £9 is shocking.

Cherry Lodge. Much improved course. Fast greens.

Played in a 2 ball. Course looks very much better than the last time I was here 15 years ago. Greens are immaculate and quick ! Some tight drives to negotiate. The par 3 8th hole is a picture. We caught up with an elderly 4 ball at the 13th so that last few holes were much slower but we still got round in 3 hours 45 minutes. I would recommend this as a decent challenge for mid handicap golfers. Probably a good option for a society.

Friendly club with well kept course

Played Cherry Lodge for the first time and was immediately impressed with the welcome in the Pro Shop despite them being inundated with cards being handed in after as large club competition. The course is well laid out and was a good but fair test. The greens were fast but true. You can tell a lot of work has been done on the course in recent years and the rewards of all that effort are starting to be felt. Look forward to visiting Cherry Lodge again

Very good course.

Had a very good round of golf on a course that is in great condition with very nice features. Not an easy course, the greens are very very fast but receptive, need to land on the green or the ball will run through. We got round in 3.5 hours but we did have an early tee time so no hold ups. We were made to feel very welcome from the pro shop, the green keepers and the bar staff. Would recommend a visit to anybody with a reasonable standard of golf.

A great transformation

I played this course some years ago and it has recently undergone some much needed reshaping and landscaping. It is now a far more interesting course as a result! There are however no bookable tee times although we slotted in with the members who were very welcoming. I gathered there are some busy times midweek with the ladies going off from 8:30am but James in the Pro shop is very helpful. Few spots of GUR, but I’m sure this is the tail end of the massive work that has gone into it. Will go back!

Great golf course

Club Pro and secretary were very helpful and explained changes that have been carried out over last couple of years. Gave us good hints and tips for playing the course. Pace was fantastic. A gentleman joined us for five holes and told us he was the ex-captain, he also gave good advice about the course. To top of the day one of the foursome behind managed to get a hole in one.

Pretty Course

Cherry Lodge is a lovely tree lined course in great condition at the moment.
Pro was friendly in the shop and gave us a heads up on certain things to look
out for. It was value for money at £20 for a sunday pm tee off.

Lovely course great condition

Definitely come back to play there. No one around on Saturday afternoon was great. The course was in excellent condition maybe a bit dry.

Much Improved

Very friendly welcome in the pro shop. Excellent explanation of the course and the membership deals currently on offer. Since my last visit (Feb 2016) there has been a lot of work improving the course. Banking on 8 or 9 holes is still GUR with free drop allowed back on fairway. This will be until Spring 2017 when all banking will be in play, and I feel the course will be very good indeed. Good that all greens were open, no temps despite heavy frost last 2 nights. Good food in clubhouse. A very enjoyable day.

Stay away

This is first review I have ever written for anything in my life but my experience at cherry lodge has made me do this.

On arrival to the club we was greeted with the club captain rudely demanding my friend to remove his hat. Fair enough if that's the rules but he could have simply said "sorry / excuse me would you mind taking your hat off?" Furthermore upon looking down and realising we had the correct foot ware on he seemed genuinely gutted.

Next I ordered a sausage sandwich which arrived luke warm - clearly just reheated.

On the first tee we was interrupted by another member complaining no bags we're allowed on the tee. Again rules are rules and I respect golf etiquette but he was also rude. Perhaps he was trying to get the the thumbs up from the club captain. I also think it's fair to add that it's people like this that lead to the "fuddy Duddy" perception golf has and the low level of uptake among young people.

Lastly, the course was in terrible conditon. Of the three holes we played (we we're in such a bad mood we finnished after 3 holes, also the walk to the fourth was under repair so was rerouted via the beautiful tarmac car park) nearly all of it was under repair and covered in tractors , diggers and road signs.

STAY AWAY FROM CHERRY LODGE!

Valid dates: Dec 01, 2019 - Mar 01, 2020