Year Built 1992
Architect Tom Weiskopf (1992) Jay Morrish (1992)

Caddies Yes

Snacks

Entertaining Clients 8

Great Course, great round

Course is in amazing shape. Greens were moderate speed, rolled true, and held approach and chips well. Fairways were tightly mowed with no hard or dead patches. Rough was thick but cut to a manageable length so you didn’t lose your ball with a wayward tee shot. Bunker sand was too fluffy and soft for my liking, and you’d sink about 3-4 inches with every step near the edges of the bunkers. Tee boxes could use some love and leveling. Course was challenging and fun from the Blue tees. Will definitely be back.

Great Course and Great Round

Was a little concerned after reading some reviews, but decided to give this course a try. I was not disappointed. The course is in excellent shape, and I don’t understand why tee times aren’t booked up solid. Greens are in great shape, fast but not lightning fast, roll true, and hold approach and chip shots. Fairways were in excellent shape with no dead patches despite the Texas heat. Rough was thick but mowed to a manageable height so you didn’t lose your ball with a wayward tee shot. Bunker sand was super soft and fluffy, and made it difficult to get a good stable stance. Tee boxes need to be leveled, but that would be my only course complaint. Course is a challenge for any golfer. I played the Blue tees and still shot in the 80s. Amenities are a little lacking, but the course is going through a management change. I will definitely be back.

New Management Makes a Difference

I’ve always liked this course, but over the last few years American Golf let it get run down and seemed very disinterested in their customers having a good experience. I played yesterday and the turnaround is remarkable. Course conditions are much improved with tees, fairways and greens all in great shape. Out of bounds is a bit of a mess, but as the greens keeper told me, “we have a lot of catching up to do “. I’m impressed with what they’ve accomplished already. New carts, new friendly staff who seem to genuinely want you to enjoy your outing. Sand in the bunkers for the first time in 3 years. For a change the snack bar was open and there actually was a beverage cart on the course on a Tuesday,. Best of all, the rates have not caught up with the course improvements yet. I plan to play there again tomorrow and as often as I can. My thanks to the Perry family for working to restore this course to its former glory.

Great greens

Great greens bunkers r being repaired can't wait until finished the course will easily be a 4-4+ star course.

Visiting from out of state

A great surprise. My handicap is 12.6 and this course absolutely Kicked my buns. I shot 96 WOW, course is very fair layout wise. The Greens were in very good condition. They also Kicked me, but again, very fair, held shots well and were slick as could be. Like putting on a “Hardwood floor”.
Overall, I’d highly recommend this course to anyone looking for a great golf experience. Sand traps are being redone and expected to be completed this spring. But not to worry, the creeks and lakes keep you on your toes with your heart in your throat. Giddy-up

I like the challenging holes.

There are challenging holes and holes you should make par. Overall good balance.
The bunkers need much improvement as some of the bunkers had pebbles instead of sand.
Greens were in great shape.

Fine Course. I enjoyed it.

some of the reviews I read were scathing and very critical. I was worried...but i booked anyway. i am glad I did. Yes, the sand traps were in terrible shape....grassy and not tended to....other than that everything was fine....we had a good time....challenging but not too hard....the greens rolled well...and the layout was good.

Horrible customer service

I booked through golf advisor. I called the club 4 times to let them know I had a family emergency and could not make my tee time. Left three messages no one returned my call and charged my credit card 70.00 for two rounds. I live in the rockwall area and will never play here again

Charged Twice

I was charged twice for my third player who didn’t show because his pregnant wife was sick. I tried calling the pro shop a couple times but only got non stop ring. Two of my three players on reservation showed. I’m not sure I’ll return if this is what happens here. They ended up having a third join us anyways so it made no difference to the course

Good to be back

Last time I played this course was 10 years ago and I was impressed. Happy to say it is the same interesting, well maintained course I remembered. Nice rolling terrain. Challenging but not a discouraging, ball-eating monster. Among the 8!or 9 courses in and around Rockwall, Buffalo Creek is my favorite!

Day after the 4th

The course is in good shape. Nice layout. The sides of the fairways and greens have thick grass and I lost several balls. I would have given the course a better rating but the bunkers are not playable. The rain has had a big impact on the bunkers. Good course.

Nice layout

I played this course a few years ago in a USGA Qualifier and it was in awesome shape. Played it this time and it seem like the staff had no direction. Bunkers were unplayable. Grass has grown and rocks exposed. The rough around greens not mown in places. Lost a couple balls just off green side rough.

Good, not great

A great design brought down by limited maintenance and upkeep. Sand traps were just mud bowls that gave no appearance of any attempt at maintenance. Concrete cart paths were cracked and broken. The rough was so high and unkempt that it looked like the course was on a restricted mowing schedule. Pro shop was filled with excess and obsolete inventories of logo shirts from other golf courses. Overall, it gave the appearance of a course being managed by a group on a downward spiral. But people were still out there playing, and I’ll return for the design. At least the greens and fairways were in decent condition.

Traps.

The fairways and greens are in excellent condition. The bunkers for the most part are unplayable. It was probably just because of all of the rain we have had.

Great course layout.

Great course layout. Terrible condition! Tee boxes were shaggy and not mowed in what looks to be weeks. Bunkers hadn't been maintained in months.....washed out with weeds growing in them.

Faded Beauty

Returning to play Buffalo Creek for the first time in several years was like rekindling an old romance. It was easy to see why I fell in love to begin with, but it was also easy to see the effects of the passage of time. Cart paths crumbled, cracked and broken. Sand traps that looked like mud pits or craters of the moon. Bermuda greens interlaced with invasive native grasses. I’ll keep coming back, but will lament the effects of age. With a good facelift, the course could be beautiful again.

Greens in good shape, fun course.

Compared with most courses in the area that I've played this year, the greens were in great shape. The traps were all washed out from the rains and were unplayable. I enjoyed the layout and the beautiful homes surrounding the course.

Going downhill

I have been a fan of this track for years. This is the first time I have played it in a while and I was shocked at the deterioration of this once gem just east of Dallas.

My friend and I played as a two some and were expecting wet conditions as it had rained heavily the day prior. Cart path only, no worries. What did worry us was the overall condition of the entire facility.

The once pro shop is now under some sort of construction and closed from what we can tell.

Range was closed - maybe to be expected - or maybe just lack of resources

Course itself - fairways were good enough. Greens and bunkers where borderline unplayable. Weed infestation on greens. Bunkers UN-kept. Overall pretty bad shape.

Maybe its weather related, maybe its just lack of money being put into the course. But regardless I want everyone to know if you are ok with paying $50 for a course not in very good condition then knock yourself out.

Remodeling

For the most part the greens were in good shape but the traps were horrible. They were very hard and tough to play off. Luckily I only landed in 2 of them. They are remodeling the clubhouse and even though this is temporary it sucks to not have food or beer while playing. I will definitely be back but I’m gonna wait awhile.

Rockwall, Texas