2.4
1 reviews
Learn more about becoming a member at
Clacton on Sea Golf Club

Carts Yes - GBP 15 - GBP 20

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities

2.4

Nice course let down by rude members

Booked a round online today for 9am arrived at the first tee to see several 3 balls waiting to tee off (found out when I arrived that tee times aren’t bookable you just turn up and play). A friendly member told me it would be better to tee off on the 10th to avoid the wait. Walked to the tenth tee to find another 3 ball so waited for them to tee off then got confronted by 3 members coming up the 9th who were very rude to me and my playing partner from the start before we had even said anything, because we were jumping in. I explained that we were told to go to the 10th tee and that I wasn’t aware of any bookings in the course or of any competitions but they continued to be rude towards us. Also had another group behind us hitting up down the fairway whilst we were waiting for the green in front to clear.
Won’t return again, apart from the first gentleman I spoke to I found the rest of the people on the course very unwelcoming and rude.
Ended up walking off after the 18th as still a long wait for the first tee. Needs to be specified when booking on tee off times that the club doesn’t operate a booking system. Shame really as my playing partner was looking at joining the club as a member

Challenging links course

Haven't played here for almost 30 years so couldn't recall the course layout but staff in Pro shop provided an aerial photo of the course with the holes marked and directional arrows. Course in good condition. Greens cut very short but not all as fast as you think they look. Enjoyed the round and will go back if the price stays about the same.

Things have changed

I used to be a member here around 14 years ago before moving away.
I saw the corse on tee off times and got a group together to play and a lot of work has gone on.
In the winter the corse used to be closed a lot due to poor drainage but this seems to have been / being addressed.
Also many trees /bushes have been removed and cut back giving a more open links feel especially nearer to the sea.
The wind has always played a factor here.
Greens and fairways in good condition.
It has a nice challenging layout but can be a little confusing if you don’t know it , as it’s not always the next tee box that you come to that is for your next fairway.
The only negative remarks from my playing partners is that a lot of the GUR was staked and taped and “ looked like a murder scene “.
And winter tees ....... basically not playing off the tees but fairways or mats neither very level, shame.

Anonymous

Highly Recommended

Course was in great condition with smooth, quick greens. We played on a very calm day so the course probably played easier than it usually would. We received a warm welcome from everyone we met. Recommended.

Clacton-on-Sea, Tendring