Slope N/A

Year Built 1893

Snacks

Clubhouse, Locker Rooms

Decent course

Few hilly holes on the back nine. All in all a good course. Unfortunately they were working on greens preparing for winter. Will definitely play here next summer.

Early tee time, course in great condition. Probably the best in the area. Will be visiting again thanks to the ground staff good work.

Best value for money course in the area.

I got this tee on a hot deal for £10. I'd played here before and thoroughly enjoyed it. Playing here again I looked forward to even more especially with the nice weather.

Course is well looked after and always has green staff out working.

Only down side was no pro shop or clubhouse open at 8:30am for me to get a card and also to access clubhouse afterwards as it wasn't open.

Beautiful but challenging

2nd time we’ve been here, and we were just as impressed as the first time. The wind was blowing which made the longer holes more tricky. Set in wonderful surroundings, with a great clubhouse and friendly staff and members, what’s not to love!

Great course in great condition

One of toughest courses I’ve played but still appeals to all levels. Greens in great condition and par 4 hole layouts really challenging even the shorter ones.

Would definitely recommend

Number 1 in the area.

Very good condition,, views are stunning. Wildlife everywhere.
I honestly don't know of a better course in the area and I have played most of them.

Darwen

Excellent course, would visit again did not use the facilities due to the current situation with Covid

Why have I never played here before???

Awesome just awesome true test of golf. Windy uphill downhill dog legs it has everything. Fell like I've robbed the course £10 to play on a dry course full greens. Not going to lie back 9 is tough on the legs but the breakfast wrap I had before going out kept me going. Give this course a go its brilliant

Lost

It's always a dissaplintment when you find winter greens.. Would have been nice to let us know before paying full price... But when they take over 100 yards off some holes it makes you wonder what the point is..... No effort to resite the 150 markers, or even decent signs on where to go...... I played the 3rd hole, only to be told it was the 17th, and got lost a further 3 times.... Those things ruin a round and I won't risk playing there again.

One of the best value courses in the area

Played here once before in the winter and thoroughly enjoyed it, even in the cold and rain. I swore i'd return once the weather picked up, so I did.

Course is well maintained, tricky layout, staff are all friendly, members also.

I paid £13 on a hot deal for a round here and honestly that's a steal, I feel bad only paying that much for such a great course.

Definitely use a trolley as the holes are very up and down, the 15th is called "heartbreak" for a reason. I carried and got round ok, but next time I'll bring a trolley.

Course in great condition

Excellent value Golf at Darwen, as always. Millionaire’s golf on the back nine, as always. Recommended, as always.

Any player on the PGA tour would have struggled there today

Turned up 13.30 on a Sunday afternoon bright blue sky quite nippy but all round perfect for a game of golf.... First 9 holes were ok lots of level change and most seconds shots on a fairway, ball either a foot higher or a foot lower than your feet so very tough. If we didn't use tracking apps we would have struggled knowing where to go as not much info around tee box for the holes. Most holes are dog leg or the level change that drastic not many greens visisible. Moving ontop the back 9...... You better be a fell runner or somewhere close as some of the walking uphill is very testing as we were reaching the summit of a long par 5 I was 120 from the pin and hitting a 5 iron due to the wind being so bad into our face coming back down the hill. Very very testing course both in skill and fitness. Only time I would consider trying again is peak summer on a very nice day. Only positive was the condition of the greens

Good challenge

Course was in excellent condition, even after the poor weather recently. The only downside was how hilly the course was, I’d recommend using a buggy.

Course in fantastic condition.

Darwen is always a delight. I’ve not been since last year and it’s looking really, really good.

The greens are like ice rinks, but they run very true.

At £15, a bargain, my only minor gripe being finishing after 10pm in near darkness due to slightly slow pace of play.

Well recommended.

Played this course a few times but this most recent time was exceptional. The only downfall is that there’s no practise net. It does have a range though but if you’re tight like me and don’t want to have to pay for just a few warm up shots it’s slightly annoying. The only that negative is that the function room was hired out for something and the music was ridiculously loud as we were tearing off and coming back to the 18th. Other than that the course was in great condition and I’ve recommended it to my golf group for our next tourni!

The course has suffered from the lack of rain over recent weeks and the greens have paid the price. They were bone dry and very patchy. However, this is common on most courses at the moment, especially those without a ready water supply ,like Darwen. This is a tricky course at the best of times but the rock hard conditions made it even more difficult. We still enjoyed the round however and the views were magnificent!

Sunday golfing

We booked on Teeofftimes and when we got to the course we struggled to find anybody for the club shop which was closed, we had to go into the clubhouse to find somebody. The first tee is next to the clubhouse balcony so be prepared to be watched teeing off. The course could do with being better signposted between holes to find where to go and they lack any diagrams of the hole layout either on the tee bed or on the scorecard, we had to use our phones For this purpose as many holes are dog legged and the greens hidden from the tee beds. The course was in good condition but we did notice that there were lots of children playing with their parents so maybe Sunday’s is family day here. It took us 4 hours to complete as a 3 ball as this is a hilly course with 3 long par 5’s. Be prepared to walk up many inclines, and some distances between tee beds were a distance pin themselves. I would recommend trying it as it is a challenge and I can imagine on a windy day a very big challenge indeed as you are high up at the highest point.

Damp Darwen

A bit a sluggish front nine, I was very pleased that the groups in front elected against climbing the hills.

The course is a nice mix of interesting holes, affording some good views too. When the wind blows (and it always does!) the holes on the tops are either manageable or murderous. The 16 hole seems to play anything from 140 to 200 yards depending on wind direction and speed- seems a lottery tonne, which can cost a few shots.

Good value, despite a few damp places- the course is in decent nick.

Blackburn, Blackburn with Darwen