Herons' Reach Golf Resort

White 72 6266 yards
Yellow 72 5848 yards
Red (W) 71 5289 yards
Scorecard for De Vere Heron's Reach Golf Club
Black M: 73.1/123 394 316 490 183 499 490 443 201 446 3462 539 377 183 322 423 404 172 280 466 3166 6628
White M: 70.7/121 394 251 490 155 492 465 393 175 427 3242 477 377 169 306 381 404 167 276 459 3016 6258
Yellow M: 69.2/117 W: 70.2/119 348 241 465 146 472 436 353 152 381 2994 461 353 149 296 353 399 154 259 439 2863 5857
Red W: 67.1/113 348 142 377 128 456 436 316 111 344 2658 416 333 127 288 296 360 146 251 414 2631 5289

Year Built 1994
Architect Peter Alliss (1994) Clive Clark (1994)

Worse I’ve seen it!

I play this course every year and it was a bad day to start. M6 was closed by Preston so we were over an hour late. Staff were lovely about it. But couldn’t relax into the round as a no smoking ban is across the course. Fully understandable with the heather like a tinder box but when you need one after a long journey and a couple of bad shots lol. The tee blocks were just bare! No grass on hardly any of them. I understand the weather has been glorious but the tee blocks could of had a quick hose down here and there. The fairways were good considering. But I did hit at least the centre of 10 fairways that nearly then ran out of bounds because of how hard the ground was. The greens were good. Been aerated so a couple of dodgy lines sometimes. Then when we came off the course a pint of coke and a bottle of corona was £8.25. It was a long frustrating day. I’ll definitely be back when the court has seen a bit of water. I know that every where is struggling. But I’ve played lesser courses who have managed better than here which was a shame.

Forget it unless you’re a member

This is a review of the golf only.

I have played herons reach three times now since moving up north and whilst the course itself is well maintained and the facilities are perfectly fine, the people (golfers and staff) let it down to the point I will not return.

Herons reach is not a golf club per se, it is a gym, a bar, a hotel, and has a golf course and driving range attached to it. Which tends to get overtaken by naughty scummy teenagers running amok, stealing balls and in some cases hitting balls back toward those on the driving range! And interestingly it seems to attract upper middle class snobs who have an overinflated measure of their ability.

The day started well, until there was traffic at the first tee, the couple behind myself and my partner made an attempt to jump past us, stating the manager of the pro shop told them they would be following a four ball. The four ball in question were teeing off ahead of us. My tee time was 1149 and the couple behind were 1157. So there was just a back up and didn’t really appreciate feeling pressured.

After the second tee shot (a par 3) the same couple teed off as we we’re walking to the green. I was a little put out but let them play through.

Everything was fine for a few holes with us teeing off generally as those in front left the green. Until we got to the 7th tee.

Again we teed off and were making way to our balls when another couple, a man and his wife/mother/sister steamed onto the tee and teed off abruptly. Very very rude and this couple were not particularly good though I believe they were members. The man hit his ball directly next to mine and the lady shanked several balls down the fairway. The man also hit a bunker and just lifted his ball out and dropped it into the fairway.

We then proceeded to feel under pressure as more players arrived behind us. Bearing in mind I am an 18 handicapper and had hit plenty of greens in regulation and also parred most holes up to this point.

As we hit the 10th I hit a slice and ended up in trees. At this point the green keeper (time/date circa 14:30 / 23 may 2018) who was sat in a buggy on the fairway walked up to me and demanded we let the couple behind us play through, stating another couple had commented on our ability (the rude couple who barged through on the 7th I assume) and that perhaps we were not as proficient as the members here. I told him I understood though we had been keeping up the pace and I had hit several pars in good time. My partner then scuffed a ball because of the distraction and the green keeper threw it back at us.

We proceeded to then be held up by this same couple we’d been forced to let through For the remainder of the day, not their fault as they were happy to sit behind us. But hardly cause to force us to stand aside clearly.

The green keeper was then following us for at least two more holes (which I birdied).

In conclusion, the course is ok. Lovely in the sun. But if you have a double figure handicap and/or are not a member I would forget this course entirely and try Fleetwood/Knott End/Green Drive. These courses all value the spirit of golf and are far more welcoming. They are proper clubs with decent people who are very good at golf and value newcomers and community, not upper middle class snobs who exist on the pretence their status makes them better at golf and better people as they aspire to reach the upper echelons of society before retirement. Dare I say it I’d bank my score being better than those who insulted us and I’d also bank our take home is higher too! This club came across extremely cliquey and ruined our day. A shame after having enjoyed two rounds prior to today.

Furthermore we have been inundated with emails about becoming members and there is absolutely no chance of this happening now. The members we met today were horrid and disappointing human beings.

I hope the club manages to gain a more welcoming spirit in future else I suspect it will become another run down field filled with half cut men in tracksuits. And maybe that’s what it deserves.

Billy no mates

Free round at herons reach through american golf. Very enjoyable round.(even though I was on my own) Greens true if not a little bobbly.Always in good condition. Would recommend.

Pace of Play

Tee'd off with 2 other players who had booked the same tee time. By the 4th tee we were waiting for 2 groups to finish ahead of us with a pair waiting behind us.

Walked off after 9 holes as the slow group were not allowing play through. A disappointing early end to a pleasurable start. Always a nice course to walk round and despite the experience will definitely play again.

Fantastic value, mid week, £12.50

I always play this course out of season,

Too many players on the course in summer, pace of play is terrible.

I think it’s great they offer value for money rounds this time of year. Silly prices sometimes. Course in great condition considering recent weather. Credit to the green keepers. A solid 4/5

GREAT STAFF

The course was very wet with atrolley ban in place. the pro lent us carry bags, which was great as we would otherwise not been able to play.

Herons Reach in January

Course damp under foot, frozen in places, greens in terrible condition, no point in trying to putt at all, very disappointing

Held up well considering the weather!

Played at Herons Reach twice whilst visiting family for Christmas. There had been a great deal of rain throughout the week and the course was sodden. Despite the standing water the course held up well and I enjoyed playing. There are some challenging holes and I liked the layout. The greens were a little bumpy but for the time of year this was to be expected. The only disappointment was the incredibly slow rate of play during the second round. We were a two ball and had a long wait on every tee on the front nine. In spite of this I would play again.

Monthly trip

Chose Herons Reach as it offered a full course. All holes greens and tees open. Impressed with the course excellent condition for the time of year. Staff very helpful. Excellent value for money. Pace off play good. 4 ball in less than 4 hours.

Painfully slow

We booked a 11:38 tea time and arrived at the first tee 10 minuets before as usual. There where 20 guys in a society waiting to tee off before us! Having waited for 40 minuets we eventually got going. On the second tee we waited another 20 minuets as there where 2 groups waiting. On one hole There where 4 - 4 balls!!

On top of the extremely slow play the course was very wet in places and obviously doesn’t stand up to wet weather at all.

On a positive note the course layout is good with some testing holes and the greens putted well despite the conditions.

Windy wet but what course !!!!

Sadly there had been a lot of rain we had played another on cal course the day before and frankly it should of been closed......

The day after we played Herons reach not expecting too much but in fairness the greens were very responsive and the condition of the course after so much rain was a real credit to the club. A few areas had been marked off for no trolleys but this was purely to protect the course from damage that maybe created by trolleys which showed thought and care for this amazing course. We’ve booked to play again later in the week and I’ve left my putter to have a fat shaft fitted with the friendly guys in the pro shop!!

A great course with great surroundings would highly recommend.

Surprised

I played this course when it was first opened. I last played it about 12 years ago and was not interested in playing it again. I don't like corporate golf courses usually. I was thus very surprised to find I enjoyed my round (apart from being behind a seniors' match). The greens in particular were excellent given the poor weather we have recently had. It's still corporate - £10 for three non-alcoholic drinks - but the course is well worth playing.

A very well designed course

If you like playing courses abroad then this course has a lot to offer. Challenging shots across water, water hazards to avoid adjacent to the fairways, undulating landscape. Relatively flat which would suit golfers who find steep inclines challenging. Considering the weather on the day day I played, the greens were remarkably dry, accurate and in very good condition. The fairways were fairly dry but if you strayed into the semi rough it tended to be bogey and water logged. Over all I enjoyed playing at Herons Reach and would recommend the course to experienced golfers, beginners would find it very challenging.

Waterlogged Course

Course should have been closed, some paths ankle deep in water, some bunkers like swimming pools, water all over most of the fair ways. Hole 2 closed had to start on the 10th, still not sure WHY

Awsome course

Played here for the first time, the course was in very good condition, the staff we very freindly. Will be playing here again soon. Only down side in my eyes was that the par 5's were very short off the tee off the day.

Excellent Course

An excellent course with challenging features. Friendly staff and a warm welcome received. Thanks for a pleasant day's golf.

Good standard

Well maintained course with fast greens. Some water to negotiate from tees. Fairly dry despite recent wet weather.

Staining, Fylde