Style Parkland/Links

Previously known as De Vere Heron's Reach Golf Club

Herons Reach Golf Resort

Year Built 1994
Architect Peter Alliss (1994) Clive Clark (1994)

Too wet

This course should have been closed after all the rain as it was nearly unplayable due to boggy conditions, but as we had prepaid our time we had to play or lose out. Easily the worst condition course I have played this year which is a pity as I think in better weather would have been ok.

Greed

Good course always in great condition. Play here a lot . only downside is its always overbooked leading to slow play , too keen to grab the money by overlooking tee slots (seemingly anyway) sending groups out every 10 min is greedy

Great course, great setup and just great in general

I had a late evening round. Practically had the course to myself and managed to get round in 2.5 hours. The site as a whole is perfect, great hotel, restaurant, driving range, practice area and bar. I didn't get the feeling of a 'members club' mainly I feel that the golf club is absorbed into the hotel.

The course was fantastic, great condition and a reasonable challenge for a summers evening. Great value as well, even on a Saturday. I'll definitely be back.

Pleasant Monday morning round.

Friendly staff and good facilities. Greens and fairways in good nick, some tees a bit scruffy and needing mowing. Lovely setting and pace ok, despite foursomes ahead of our pair we were never waiting long.

Best Value in years

I read a number of reviews before deciding to play her so it was quite a surprise as to how good this course is, some of the negative reviews are complete nonsense. I live between Castle Stuart and Royal Dornoch so I know a little bit about high quality courses.
Herons reach is not as good but at £20 per round against £200 per round what do you expect?
The course was in great nick, fairways lush, greens rolling well and totally true, interesting mix of holes and decent practise facilities all for £20.
If I was being really picky a couple of tees were not great but that is due to work on the main tees, as any golfer will tell you that can happen at any course.
Please ignore the nonsense and play her, you will not be disappointed.

Herons reach

This is a great course, with some tough holes, but also some fairly easy ones. The condition of the greens, fairways & bunkers are immaculate. Although the course isn’t right by the sea, you will need a good meal when you are finished because the sea air gives you a raging appetite. I will play here again.

Overcrowded

A decent course completely ruined by club greed. Pack as many punters on as possible and leave them to get on with it. Ridiculous. Won't be going back.

A mixed experience

Firstly, the course has an excellent layout and is well designed with plenty of water to tempt and tease you as you play. The course is in very good condition considering the amount of people using it and is fairly easy to score on as it is not long (from yellow tees). However the pace of play was horrendous, for a relatively short course us it took over 4 hours to play as a 2 ball, and we were basically waiting on every single shot (on the 3rd tee there was 3 other groups waiting to tee off). In addition, the man in the pro shop was unwelcoming and some of the other golfers attire and behaviour on the course did not adhere to normal regulations. Overall a nice course but not a good golf club.

Worse I’ve seen it!

I play this course every year and it was a bad day to start. M6 was closed by Preston so we were over an hour late. Staff were lovely about it. But couldn’t relax into the round as a no smoking ban is across the course. Fully understandable with the heather like a tinder box but when you need one after a long journey and a couple of bad shots lol. The tee blocks were just bare! No grass on hardly any of them. I understand the weather has been glorious but the tee blocks could of had a quick hose down here and there. The fairways were good considering. But I did hit at least the centre of 10 fairways that nearly then ran out of bounds because of how hard the ground was. The greens were good. Been aerated so a couple of dodgy lines sometimes. Then when we came off the course a pint of coke and a bottle of corona was £8.25. It was a long frustrating day. I’ll definitely be back when the court has seen a bit of water. I know that every where is struggling. But I’ve played lesser courses who have managed better than here which was a shame.

Forget it unless you’re a member

This is a review of the golf only.
I have played herons reach three times now since moving up north and whilst the course itself is well maintained and the facilities are perfectly fine, the people (golfers and staff) let it down to the point I will not return.

Herons reach is not a golf club per se, it is a gym, a bar, a hotel, and has a golf course and driving range attached to it. Which tends to get overtaken by naughty scummy teenagers running amok, stealing balls and in some cases hitting balls back toward those on the driving range! And interestingly it seems to attract upper middle class snobs who have an overinflated measure of their ability.

The day started well, until there was traffic at the first tee, the couple behind myself and my partner made an attempt to jump past us, stating the manager of the pro shop told them they would be following a four ball. The four ball in question were teeing off ahead of us. My tee time was 1149 and the couple behind were 1157. So there was just a back up and didn’t really appreciate feeling pressured.

After the second tee shot (a par 3) the same couple teed off as we we’re walking to the green. I was a little put out but let them play through.

Everything was fine for a few holes with us teeing off generally as those in front left the green. Until we got to the 7th tee.

Again we teed off and were making way to our balls when another couple, a man and his wife/mother/sister steamed onto the tee and teed off abruptly. Very very rude and this couple were not particularly good though I believe they were members. The man hit his ball directly next to mine and the lady shanked several balls down the fairway. The man also hit a bunker and just lifted his ball out and dropped it into the fairway.

We then proceeded to feel under pressure as more players arrived behind us. Bearing in mind I am an 18 handicapper and had hit plenty of greens in regulation and also parred most holes up to this point.

As we hit the 10th I hit a slice and ended up in trees. At this point the green keeper (time/date circa 14:30 / 23 may 2018) who was sat in a buggy on the fairway walked up to me and demanded we let the couple behind us play through, stating another couple had commented on our ability (the rude couple who barged through on the 7th I assume) and that perhaps we were not as proficient as the members here. I told him I understood though we had been keeping up the pace and I had hit several pars in good time. My partner then scuffed a ball because of the distraction and the green keeper threw it back at us.

We proceeded to then be held up by this same couple we’d been forced to let through For the remainder of the day, not their fault as they were happy to sit behind us. But hardly cause to force us to stand aside clearly.

The green keeper was then following us for at least two more holes (which I birdied).

In conclusion, the course is ok. Lovely in the sun. But if you have a double figure handicap and/or are not a member I would forget this course entirely and try Fleetwood/Knott End/Green Drive. These courses all value the spirit of golf and are far more welcoming. They are proper clubs with decent people who are very good at golf and value newcomers and community, not upper middle class snobs who exist on the pretence their status makes them better at golf and better people as they aspire to reach the upper echelons of society before retirement. Dare I say it I’d bank my score being better than those who insulted us and I’d also bank our take home is higher too! This club came across extremely cliquey and ruined our day. A shame after having enjoyed two rounds prior to today.

Furthermore we have been inundated with emails about becoming members and there is absolutely no chance of this happening now. The members we met today were horrid and disappointing human beings.

I hope the club manages to gain a more welcoming spirit in future else I suspect it will become another run down field filled with half cut men in tracksuits. And maybe that’s what it deserves.

Billy no mates

Free round at herons reach through american golf. Very enjoyable round.(even though I was on my own) Greens true if not a little bobbly.Always in good condition. Would recommend.

Pace of Play

Tee'd off with 2 other players who had booked the same tee time. By the 4th tee we were waiting for 2 groups to finish ahead of us with a pair waiting behind us.
Walked off after 9 holes as the slow group were not allowing play through. A disappointing early end to a pleasurable start. Always a nice course to walk round and despite the experience will definitely play again.

Fantastic value, mid week, £12.50

I always play this course out of season,
Too many players on the course in summer, pace of play is terrible.
I think it’s great they offer value for money rounds this time of year. Silly prices sometimes. Course in great condition considering recent weather. Credit to the green keepers. A solid 4/5

GREAT STAFF

The course was very wet with atrolley ban in place. the pro lent us carry bags, which was great as we would otherwise not been able to play.

Herons Reach in January

Course damp under foot, frozen in places, greens in terrible condition, no point in trying to putt at all, very disappointing

Held up well considering the weather!

Played at Herons Reach twice whilst visiting family for Christmas. There had been a great deal of rain throughout the week and the course was sodden. Despite the standing water the course held up well and I enjoyed playing. There are some challenging holes and I liked the layout. The greens were a little bumpy but for the time of year this was to be expected. The only disappointment was the incredibly slow rate of play during the second round. We were a two ball and had a long wait on every tee on the front nine. In spite of this I would play again.

Monthly trip

Chose Herons Reach as it offered a full course. All holes greens and tees open. Impressed with the course excellent condition for the time of year. Staff very helpful. Excellent value for money. Pace off play good. 4 ball in less than 4 hours.

Difficulty Extremely Easy