Gateway Hills Golf Course

Type Military
Narrow tree-lined fairways and a creek which you often encounter make Lackland AFB's Gateway Hills Golf Course a fun round. The ninth hole, playing up a steep hill is a real experience as is the elevated green on 18. If you have a friend who is in the military and can get on, Gateway Hills Golf Course a worthwhile option with well manicured greens. Gateway Hills Golf Course is laid out on 200 acres featuring extreme elevation changes overlooking San Antonio. The golf course meanders 6,900 yards from the back tees with many strategically located bunkers and a host of oak and mesquite trees. Gateway Hills GC provides a practice area that includes a driving range, putting green, bunker and a lob wedge practice grees
Gateway Hills Golf Course
Scorecard for Gateway Hills
Blue M: 72.9/127 409 167 536 331 567 454 386 186 370 3406 577 353 203 396 560 396 390 215 405 3495 6901
White M: 72.1/124 394 146 526 318 548 420 372 167 342 3233 566 341 180 380 495 383 367 200 384 3296 6529
Gold M: 67.9/115 W: 73.8/126 382 134 474 272 478 355 359 153 317 2924 468 241 165 359 463 334 305 150 362 2847 5771
Red M: 66.2/111 W: 71.1/119 377 123 470 246 403 324 310 155 301 2709 465 238 161 318 410 302 285 145 334 2658 5367

Year Built 1946
Architect Finger Dye Spann (1968)

Carts Yes - $5 - $15

Golf Simulator Yes

Good course, fairways need TLC

To play for less than $20 it’s a good course to play. There is work being done on a couple of the fairways and a lot of other fairways could use more grass.

GREAT TIME

The course is undergoing some renovations so we had to skip the first hole. There was work elsewhere but it all worked out.

The greens were fast after they dried out. The players who dig the ball out of the cup with their putter are destroying the edges. It is sad that they don't find a less destructive way to retrieve the ball.

Gateway to the Air Force

Always enjoy playing at Lackland AFB. Hole one closed .....fixing drainage problem.....hope they several other areas.

Nice layout

Condition of the course was not very good. Neat layout .

It’s January Golf

Surprisingly shot 72 so I can’t complain too much. Greens are nice for January - for $15 and 3 hrs for 18 holes, I’d give it 3 stars.

Course review.

First off on military post.

Secondly staff was good no issues but only dealt with them to check in.

Course conditions:

Sub-par could barely tell the difference from the fair way to the rough. Tee boxes barely maintained and greens were roughly a 5 out of ten. Now I don’t want to take away from the weather hardships the course has had to deal with lately but multiple holes were under construction and giant ditches and up turned ground everywhere. Hopefully better during the season. Course definitely needs more love and care.

Gateway to the Air Force

Darn ——- got in about 5 sand traps—-good news, the sand traps were in excellent condition, So was able to get out easily! Finally starting to fix to some drainage problems Hope that doesn’t take toooo long.

Great views. Fun elevations.

Course played quickly for a warm Saturday In December.

Greens in good shape I appreciate dormant grass instead of winter grass. a few tee boxes were hard packed. Fairways in good condition.

Enjoyable round and some awesome elevated tees and greens. Great value.

One of my favorite course s

Great course Great Pro shop... But, don’t get behind a group of 5.. They will not let you play thru!!!!! Course has some maintenance issues that should have been addressed months ago.

Great value

Ove been to this course many times. It is not a very hard or long course, so it’s good for weekend golfers. Pace of play is good and the course conditions are usually decent.

I read some reviews about issues with checking in to enter the base. That could be the biggest negative for this place. Non military need to add some time to their plan in order to sign in to be allowed access.

nice layout

Enjoyed the layout of the course. Dry Fairways but great greens. Good pace of play. Make sure to get to the base early as you need to get a day pass to enter the military base. Will surely play the course again. Great course for the price.

Was not happy very upset

The course wasn’t in good shape. There were soggy spots all over the course. The pace of play was so terrible the group in front of us was so slow we had three groups waiting. They thought it was funny. There was no one in front of them so we skip holes and it was wide open. Also the green was in good shape. An I’m a soldier just like the other groups and I have golf ethics to let a group go through if I’m playing slow. We waited on every hole on the front nine. Played this course last year around this time it was in real good shape but not now.

Terrible service

I was really looking forward to play this course. I called the day before to make sure I could get on base.

I arrived the next day at the visitor center outside the base and it took them 45 minutes just for the visitor center to call my name to get my pass. The clubhouse could’ve mentioned that there was a graduation going on that day and that I should arrive MUCH earlier than I arrived( I arrived at the visitor center 45 minutes prior to my tee time).

Then I finally get called to get my pass and the people at the service center couldn’t find the email from the clubhouse saying that I was going to play golf today. I call the clubhouse and I spoke with Patty about the email she was supposed to send over. Patty said the didn’t send it over because my partner that I was supposed to play with never called to confirm he was playing(My partner called me on this day to say he couldn’t make it). So, nevertheless, the email was never sent over.

Patty said she’d send over the email saying that she’d send over an email saying it was just me only to play. I told the lady at the visitor center that she’s sending over the email. The lady at the visitor center said it’d be another 15-30 minutes before she’d receive the email from patty. By this time I said forget it and I went home. By the time they would’ve got the email and I would’ve made it to the clubhouse, I’d already be an hour late for my tee time.

I’m never attempting to play this course ever again!!!

Fun Yet Chllenging Course

Good value for the play. The staff was especially friendly, both on the day before we actually played and on the day we played. Others players were friendly and helpful.

Valid dates: Feb 11, 2019 - Mar 31, 2019