2.3

Type Municipal

Brackenridge Park Golf Course, which is the oldest public golf course in Texas, was the first ever host to the Texas Open Golf Tournament in 1922. This historic golf course has the honor of being the first inductee into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame. Brackenridge Park may not be as challenging to today’s golfers, but it is still an entertaining round. The layout has a tight front nine with plenty of trees, demanding accurate tee shots. The back nine is more open, subjecting it to strong winds. Water comes into play on a few holes and there are also numerous doglegs and well-placed bunkers to watch out for. Elevated greens and tight fairways lined with trees add to the challenge at Brackenridge Park Golf Course.

Year Built 1916
Fairways TifSport Bermuda
Greens Miniverde Ultradwarf Bermuda
Architect A. W. Tillinghast (1916) Colligan Golf Design (2008)

Carts Yes - $16

Bar, Grill

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Texas (2015 #25)

fun round, great pace

Brackenridge is a fun muni course in very good shape. it is fairly short but the 64 bunkers and tight fairways on the front 9 make up for the length. My group was 1st one off, so we played in 2.5 hours...love that pace!
I have the ACGT punch so my price was very low (the membership fee includes free and heavily discounted tee times). However, when I have paid full greens fee, I've always felt it was slightly over-priced by about $10 to $15. But, all-in-all, I recommend Brack for its challenge, variety of holes, and overall condition of the course.
It is rare to see a muni with so many well-maintained traps...maybe that's what drives up the green fees?

Never looked so good

Old Brack has became the gem of the Alamo City Golf Trail. The trail itself has really improved over the last few years, and Old Brack is the best of them. Fairways are lush green. A little longer than normal, which looks great and makes them slightly easier to hit out of. All bunkers/tees are in excellent condition. They’ve done their best to minimize touching during this Coronavirus epidemic. Green were freshly sanded a few days ago. Rolled good but, were slower than normal due to it. A few more days and a fresh rain and they’ll be virtually perfect. Noticed a few ballmarks people weren’t fixing. Please do, it’s too nice of a course to have this problem. Enjoy, go play, while we still can.

San Antonio golfing

Had a very enjoyable outing. The greens were a bit sandy and had some bounces due to recent conditioning but overall it was a good course to play!

Course is in perfect conditions. The only bad thing about this course I experienced was the pace of play. It took over 6 hours to play 18 holes. Tee time was for 10:33, but it was so backed up that I did not get started until 11:20. Played the 1st hole and the waited another approximately 30 minutes to tee off the 2nd hole par 3 because there was another 3 groups of 4- waiting like us.
Tree debris were in several holes from what my understanding had been there several weeks
Course conditions were perfect. I would recommend playing this course after 2 pm if you don’t want to wait and spend all day waiting.

Arizona Advisor

Tex-Mex Tillnghast: Brackenridge Park Golf Course

While it may seem hard to believe, A. W. Tillinghast spent quite a bit of time in the Alamo City in the 19 teens and twenties (providing an "examination" of San Antonio Country Club while building Alamo Country Club in the early 1920s, which was later to be known as Oak Hills Country Club). Brackenridge Park Golf Course is a simply a wonderful example of his work. It is the oldest public course in the state of Texas (1916) and was the first inductee into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame. Old Brack, as it's known by the locals (although as a kid, my friends and I referred to it as Baltusrol South), is an absolute staple of the game in southwest Texas. A 2008 redesign returned the routing to Tillie's original build.

Old live oaks, ponds and small tributaries of the San Antonio River are in play, throughout the round. The front side is tighter, with smaller green surfaces and terrific bunkering. The back opens up a bit, moves to larger putting surfaces and allows the seemingly ever present wind to have greater presence in helping influence how one will play their next shot. Numbers 16 and 18 are beautiful mid/short three pars that are ALL Tillie. But it's the history of the course that you'll not be able to shake: The Texas Open was played here, off and on, from 1922 until 1959. Walter Hagen, Byron Nelson (beating Ben Hogan in 1940), Sam Snead and Mike Souchak (who set the record that would stand for 46 years in a 72 hole professional event at 257) all won here. Numerous city and state amatuer events have been held on the course, as well. Finally, in 2009, the Texas Golf Hall of Fame moved to Brackenridge, prompting Ben Crenshaw to say: "I think this is really the place it should be." It's also the place YOU should be if you are ever in San Antonio, looking to play a great round of golf.

Best Muni in Texas

We played Brackenridge twice because The Quarry greens were in so bad shape. Lots of mature trees but the tee shots are playable except #16! Not sure about that tree in the middle of the fairway. I can hit a draw but this shot requires you to hook it about 30 yards! Interesting hole nevertheless. Just laid up and made par both days. Greens are in excellent shape for a muni. But as usual some players don’t know or care to repair their ball marks. Should utilize the marshals to go around and fix some of the ball marks? Very happy we decided to play this local muni. Not very long but don’t let that fool you into thinking it’s not a worthy challenge.

Nice Muni course Better then some more expensive one in area

Nice course! staff is friendly and course is in good shape design is good greens are good.Was not crowded both times i played. Lots a of shade when it is hot . You need to know how to hit fades and draws of tees.Greens where some what fast and true.

Awful Time

Whoever the Marshall was on 8 March 2019, needs to be fired. It took 4 1/2 hours to play 18 because my two-person party was waiting for the people ahead. This Marshal was awful and over his head. I normally play 18 in 2 1/2 hours. DO NOT PLAY THIS COURSE UNLESS YOU HAVE HALF A DAY TO WASTE. Incompetent employees ruined this course.

Great course!

We played the quarry in the morning. The greens at the quarry were terrible. But then and afternoon round at Brackenridge redeemed our day. The greens were fantastic and true. What a great course.

Fall in the park

Old Brack was an amazing Fall stroll in the park. Beautiful conditions for mid November on a 65 degree day. Greens were average speed, but rolled true to form. The fairways were nice and green. The Bermuda rough is just starting to turn dormant in spots, so it had that nice green/tan tint to it. Old Brack is a throwback to the great course architecture of old. Amazing bunkering with ample room to play. Simply municipal golf at its best. This is a muni done right. Go play and enjoy.

Bad all around

I have a tee time at 1:33 pm and arrive at the course around 1:15 pm to check in. The gentleman gives me my starter receipt and tells me to give it to the starter before teeing off. 1:33 pm arrives and I get in line to tee off. I say line because two groups are already a head of me looking for the starter who is never found. Eventually tee off around 1:45 pm to begin our round. Course conditions are sub par but the greens are great. Throughout the front nine we had to wait on two or three tee boxes but nothing drastic. Make the turn to the back nine and the two groups in front of us have already called it a day. We get excited thinking we will breeze through the back nine and be done before dark. Things are going good until the 12th when we see 13 is a parking lot. Finish 12 and start approaching 13 when we see 9-10 guys standing on the 12th tee box waiting to tee off. Then we notice the groups are all 5-6 people. We ended up waiting 15 minutes before we decided to pack it in and call it a day at 5:00 pm. As we’re heading back to the club house I see an employee and let him know of the jam on the back nine and he shrugs his shoulders. I go into the pro shop and inform the manager of the jam and he shrugs his shoulders and tells me they are playing a best ball tournament. Overall I was very disappointed especially in the staff. If you are going to spend $80 to golf I would recommend going someplace else.

July 4th

Wanted to play oldest public course in Texas while on vacation. Played on a holiday was my only regret. Course was in nice shape for the heat conditions. Staff was very friendly.
Definitely would play here again

Excellent Muni with Unique Design

Had a blast on this course with muni with my grandfather. Don’t expect a monster course at just over 6,000 yards, but several of the holes definitely force you to think about club selection. Approach shot placement is also important as there are ridges bisecting many of the greens. Definitely recommend anyone to get out and experience some San Antonio golf history on this Tilley designed course!!

Great old course

The course is in great condition. Greens are fast. It was my first time visiting San Antonio and playing this classic old course that has been around a while was very fun. I like that they also have square shaped greens. Staff was great, but a few groups of players were pretty rude which suprised me. I was hit up on like 4 times from the group behind me when I told them there was a group in front of me and I couldn’t push any faster. The only other issue was even though I booked it thru GolfNow I wasn’t on the tee sheet for the time I paid for but they worked it out

History prevails

The history of the legends playing this course just gives you the ora of playing along the same fairways puts good golf in prospective as the small greens demand accurate approach shots love the dog legs classic old school

Great Experience, Great Value

From the moment you drive into the parking lot you feel the history of great golf! The golf course is always in great condition and the staff is very friendly! Brack is a must play for anyone visiting San Antonio. You will pay a little more than at other municipal courses but it is well worth it to experience this amazing course!

Great Experience, Great Value

Brackenridge Park is one of my all time favorite tracks. From the moment you drive in to the parking lot, you feel the history of great golf all around. Course conditions are always good and the staff is very friendly. Old Back is a must play for anyone visiting the Alamo City!

Military/Public