Learn more about becoming a member at
Ferndown Forest Golf Club

Style Woodland
Slope N/A
Rating N/A

Year Built 1983

Single Allowed Yes

First 9 holes very good 2nd 9 very very wet needed wellies. To be fair it has rained a lot in dorset, would probably be lovely in the summer.

Sadly not in its best condition when we played.

Friendly people.
Course short and crosses back and forth, balls come at you from all directions! Beware!
Sadly a bit of a muddy track and not much grass, as it has been wet weather.
Greens are in very good condition in comparison, not fast but good. Small.
The locals are very friendly and keen for you to enjoy the experience.

It did not cost too much, and you get what you pay for usually!
As a beginner it would probably be adequate.
Also choose a time when it has not been muddy and wet! Hopefully it will be a better experience.

Good facilities

Make sure you arrive early to sample the breakfast, great value.
Very well stocked golf shop and reasonably priced.
Staff very helpful and friendly.
We knew the course was short before arriving but unfortunately it played even shorter on the day we played due to the yellow tees being next to the red markers.
This created a lot of hold ups.
There are alot of things to enjoy but unfortunately we wouldn't play it again purely on the length of the course. However I would say it's perfect for beginners, short hitters. Or the casual golfer.

Some tricky holes

Paid £12 each on twilight.
The course was a bit rough but for the money we paid it was good value.
I would play it again

Nice little course, works hampered play though.

We played a round here for the first time this week. A nice welcome from the staff and a great driving range a pro shop.Excellent bar and restaurant area. Very welcoming.

There had been an accident on the A31 so the course was pretty much empty due to people not being able to get there so we went out earlier than our booked slot. Our first thoughts were that the 1st fairway is right next to the driving range and the fairway is littered with range balls! The netting from the range is a little worse for ware and full of holes, it made the first hole a little worrying as any wayward sliced shots could easily get through or over. I hope they are considering replacing the netting and making it higher to stop this happening??

Then we were faced with temporary greens. The guy in the shop said there were “a couple of temporary greens in play” (in his defence he gave us a couple of free rounds of golf to compensate) but it was just by chance that my partner went in to get a drink and ask if there were any club rules we needed to be aware of that we found out about them. This information was not made aware to us initially. The 1st 4 holes had temp greens in play and not great ones at that. We were a bit surprised that this work was being carried out now and why it had not been done when the club had been locked down for months previously?? Strange. Anyway we dealt with this and carried on.

The course is quite short and flat and the front nine very easy going. In fact I went out playing from scratch at just 2 over par which for me is unheard of! The back nine are a bit more challenging but the most challenging thing is where the greens are? There is no course map or guide on each hole so navigating the course and each hole was quite tricky, On one occasion we actually played to the wrong green.
There is no map online or on the scorecard so it was a little confusing.

All things considered though, I enjoyed it! I had a good round, the setting is lovely, easy going and flat. Not too long. If you fancy a nice gentle round a little rough around the edges, I’d go for it. Not worth more than the £20 we payed mind you. Not sure what the standard visitors fee is but I wouldn't pay more than that. I will play there again though and look forward to when the works are finished.

Ferndown Forest

Played this course multiple times with friends over the past year. Many changes have been made to this course for the better including the addition of a new testing par three on the back nine. Course Lay-out has been changed to aid player safety as driving range used to back onto the old second and third hole. New tee boxes have been added to the second and fifteenth, with a new tee box being added to the seventeenth. A challenging course due to its narrow fairways on a handful of holes, which requires some course management even for the most average of golfers. Even though there are seven or threes, each one offers a unique challenge to the golfer. Terrain of the golf course is quite flat compared to other courses in the nearby area. There are still areas to be worked on but speaking to the wiener of the course, these areas are being worked on in the near future. Definitely value for our money and we will be visiting again very soon.

Plays Twice a year

Ferndown

The course layout is awful holes are ontop of each other having to play over holes. The 1st hole u have to play dodge the golf ball as its next to the driving range the course had no fairway. The staff were really nice amd friendly

Improving

This is a great course to start the enjoyment of golf. Front nine can play slowly depending on time of day. However every hole has a risk or reward element. Greens have improv over the last couple of years and the on going development is clear to see. Staff are the friendliest in the area.

Very poor in winter

Slow going , Very poor in winter . Mud bath . Stick to the driving range or bar .

Please Do not bother waste of money

If you go to this golf course you will be very disappointed We played recently and took almost 2 hours to play 6 holes When we went into the pro shop to request a refund we were informed that as it was a busy time they were not willing to offer any sort of refund !!! Very unpleasant staff Please do not bother very upsetting for myself and friends Far better courses in the area !! we would recommend dudsbury golf course bit more expensive but worth it

Average experience

This course was very standard/predictable and extremely easy for someone of my ability (handicap 24, shot 16 over). The course itself was extremely dry with many of the holes bunched up together (back to back par 3s at one point). As a result it was a very slow round for a short course. What particularly annoyed me during my round were the green keepers who failed to turn off their engines and watched me play at least 3 holes Landscape, views and overall feel was average, greens were good.

Difficulty Extremely Easy

Good course for walking

Great flat course for walking which is flat. Still some challenging holes which test all abilities!

Decent little track

We often play here as a second round of the weekend as it's short and flat. Front 9 can make you feel pretty good about your game but the back can bite a little. I'd suggest getting out there early doors as it can get busy with slightly less than proficient golfers past 9am and it's a tad pricey for what it is, later in the day. Greens could do with being a touch more receptive but pretty flat. Clubhouse one of the best around, good food, lovely staff and a really nice set up on a sunny day. If you're a single figure golfer then I doubt it's for you but all in all its a lovely little course.

Nice little club tucked away in the forest

Lovely little course , good driving range and restaurant facility

Ringwood, New Forest