Willow Springs Golf Course

Type Municipal
Opened in 1923, Willow Springs G.C. is the oldest golf course in San Antonio. The course has hosted several Texas Opens and many local amateur tournaments over the years and has been enjoyed by several famous golfers including Sam Snead and Ben Hogan. By today's standards Willow Springs Golf Course might seem pretty straightforward, but do not be fooled. The course's par-5 second hole is the longest in the entire city at 663 yards. There are also long, open fairways and a variety of elevation changes throughout the golf course. The popular Willow Springs course is located in eastern San Antonio, only about a 10-minute drive from San Antonio's famous Riverwalk.
Willow Springs Golf Course - SA
Scorecard for Willow Springs Golf Course
Blue M: 75.2/132 396 663 435 196 415 523 415 214 375 3632 476 168 599 432 455 407 450 372 230 3589 7221
White M: 74.1/130 386 653 423 186 400 517 396 195 360 3516 465 161 580 412 430 395 435 365 220 3463 6979
Gold M: 71.0/137 W: 76.4/132 330 587 380 180 341 487 334 189 340 3168 458 149 544 380 400 357 412 355 169 3224 6392
Red M: 67.3/119 W: 72.4/123 321 487 310 150 326 324 315 165 300 2698 444 110 493 357 375 331 337 337 134 2918 5616

Year Built 1923
Fairways Bermuda
Greens Bermuda

One San Antonio’s best kept secrets

I was really impressed with this course. It’s challenging but fun and plays super long. It also has a lot of history too, as it was the home of the Texas Open decades ago. Despite the course being air rated a few weeks ago, the putts rolled pretty true. PROS: lengthy course, wide open, didn’t lose a single ball,nice elevation changes, GPS on golf carts. CONS: bottleneck at the start, so we started a half hour later, no driving range. Bottom line, this is a great for the value. I’m putting it as my top three muni in San Antonio. You better believe I’ll play it again.

Willow Sorings would not honor my Golf Now Tee Time

I booked on Golf now, but when I showed up they did not even have me in the system. When I produced the receipt, they still charged me full price even though the amount due at the course was less. You would think that they would make it right especially since I produced the reservation. Basically I'm out $6.15 WHICH IS NOT A HUGE DEAL, BUT I FEEL LIKE THE GOLF SHOP COULD HAVE MADE IT RIGHT.

Open Fairways

Willow Springs was a nice municipal golf course. Wide open fairways on most holes. Some had OB on one side but unless you sprayed the ball it shouldn’t come into play. The course was wet and with the brown winter conditions, things were a bit muddier than usual. Overall, the greens rolled good. Not the fastest in town, but definitely not bad at all. Easy walk. Ample elevation change. Great utilization of the meandering creek. No GPS or driving range. Putting green is available. Enjoyable, fairly wide open municipal golf course.

Surprisingly good

Solid golf course that sits on nicely rolling land. Good variety of holes with some fun risk-reward par 4's. Great location across from the AT&T center, and if you play the course on gameday you can just leave your car in the lot and avoid paying for parking.

Good Value

Course could use some water. Greens were dry but ran good. Overall good course

Course Maintenance

The front nine was closed when we started. The course did not notify golfers that the front was being top-dressed and was unplayable. This is not uncommon for the city courses however. Guess I should have asked before purchasing the rounds of golf. We were required to play the back nine twice.

great course

Highly recommend playing this course. Great value for the price on golf now and in my opinion , top 2 muni's in san antonio. Not a really challenging course, but longer par 5's make up for that. I always enjoy playing this course and was in great shape.

Great local course

The course was in excellent condition, pace of play was very good.

I just don't understand why they never have an on course beverage cart especially in the hottest part of summer and the weekend

Plenty of Length here

They rarely have the blue tee markers on the back box but if you want to get a good test of golf then play the back box no matter where they have the markers set.

The course is good

There was no Marshall to speed up play had a tournament going on got too late in the evening to keep playing

Long and challenging

You will use every club in your bag on this long and challenging municipal golf course. The 17th and 18th holes were fantastic finish to a very enjoyable day at Willow Springs golf course.

Absolutely Uncalled For

The course is in good shape for this time of year in South Texas and it was cold and windy. So now on to the issues, had played 9 holes with our 4 foursome on a Saturday. Not a problem a little backed up and we weren't playing great! Stop to use the facilities and grab something for the back. 3 went in while I manned the carts, as 2 came out with beverages and hotdog. I went to get a dog. As I got to the counter my brother-in-law was just getting his hot dog and walking from the counter. The man on the grill ask me what he could help me with, I asked for a hotdog. He the abruptly tells me grill is closed and I'm out (assuming hotdogs). Now we have a problem the grill wasn't closed to every one else and there was nothing posted on the grill being closed. Also why would ask me if there was something you could do for me if the grill was closed! So I am now highly upset! I then see the individual take food tray to the pro shop offices. What gives!!? So this is how the Veterans and black golfers are treated! BTW my brother-in-law is not black. This is the second course on the Alamo Trail that I've been subjected to this blatant disrespect!

Good condition and getting better

Course was in good condition and just had a few small spots under repair on some of the holes. It did not interfere with playing the holes. Greens were in good shape as usual. would definitely play again, especially for price on golf now.

Wide Open

The course is being worked on so one hole (#16) was closed off. Otherwise, the course was in great shape considering the dry hot weather we have had for 6 weeks. The fairways and greens were really nice, and the tees were good, although a bit uneven due to the small areas on some holes. Tight beautiful lush fairways and nice, though grainy, greens. the experience was great.

Great course!

Course was in great shape. Staff were very friendly! Tee time was 2:09. Let us go at 1:20! Very nice.

Plays Twice a year

Great deal online!

Overall great golf experience! Unfortunately, hole 7 was unplayable due to irrigation installation. There were several ditches crossing cart paths that made it a bit bumpy. Everything else was well kept. Greens were soft but responsive. Keep up the good work! Definitely returning soon.

several holes were closed due to lots of construction but the rest of the course was in good shape.

Disappointed with all the construction that closed several holes and pace was very slow on a slow day. No Marshalls to speed it up. Rest of course was in good shape however so when they finish all the construction it will be worth it. Staff was very friendly.

Outstanding Value, Average Course

Willow Springs has fairly widespread digging going on around the course for an irrigation project. This digging can come into play on some holes if you're a little off the fairway. Also, hole #5 is closed due to this project. In addition, the course is a little soggy due in spots due to all the rain (20+ inches!) in the past month. I found a great discounted rate of $19 per player that included a cart. Great deal and the course played fairly despite the above mentioned caveats. I'll play it again.

good greens and fairways

Been 15 years since I've played this course because of better semi-private courses I can play with golfnow. Needed a last-minute tee time so gave Willow a try. Fairways looked good from 1st tee and green was nice. After that, the irrigation ditches ruined the fairways and drives that were hit in their direction. 16-20 bucks is an ok price for this course while the pipeline project is Going on.

Green is almost always Excellent

This course is pretty much wide open and flat. I love to play at hilly courses with ups and downs, but the reason I come down to this course is that green condition is lovely and the fairway is in shape shape. It was under construction even if I do not know what is about. But the thing is, I guess, course staffs are trying to improve the course shape.

Valid dates: Nov 26, 2018 - Dec 31, 2019