Type Private
Rating N/A
Grimsby Golf Club
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 1923
Architect H. S. Colt (1923)

Golf Simulator Yes

Snacks, Halfway House

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities, Locker Rooms

A great local course!

Having not played this course before, I left my woods at home and off we set. The course is certainly challenging, mainly due to its undulating nature but all fairways and greens were excellent.

I certainly wouldn't want to carry my clubs round the course, so I was pleased I had my trolley .., and so were my calf's.

Friendly members (which we had a chat with before and during our round), the green staff were excellent, including educating me in the four colours of flags - each representing a different pin position .., and a valuable lesson learnt thank you.

If I had to be critical, the only thing that would be nice to see, is clear hole plan/directions on the tee's but I'm only nit picking and the more I play the course, the more I hope I would become aware of these.

A course I will definitely play again!

Beautiful course but let down by pace of play

We had never played the course before and were really looking forward to playing. The course is really beautiful and very well looked after. However we only played 9 holes because the pace of play was so slow we couldn't enjoy the round. Not only were we delayed by the slow players in front (waiting on every shot) but we had to wait three times for the greens to be cut. We just gave up after 9 holes.

Harder than it looks

After reading reviews prior to arriving, many spoke of the positive welcome they received and how welcoming the staff are. I completely agree, first interaction was with Simon I believe in the pro shop. Engaged in conversation and was interested in feedback of what we thought of the course. Explained that it is definitely a course to plan your way around and that we wouldn’t need Driver off all the tees. Had further interactions with green keepers on the putting green, who gave us an insight into the course and how it was playing.
The Course: lovely, looks short and is only a par 70 but it has an array of holes, challenges and the greens ran true (fast also). The picturesque views along the way were breathtaking. We both played well over our handicap but both still said we would play again.
Only negative was the flags on the greens, it may just be because it was our first time and a preference of mine. I feel players would definitely benefit from colour coded flags. As some holes you play uphill, you are hitting blind into the green and the flags could be front or back and from where you are it is impossible to tell. It can be the difference between 1-2 clubs depending on the length of the green.
Overall, great course, great staff, great day, will definitely be back.

Hidden Gem

Found this course by accident while looking. a hidden gem sums it up, beautifully kept fairways. The green in fantastic condition even though very heavy rain the previous day. the pro shop well stocked and very helpful.

I would definitely recommend

Worth it on a hot deal

Firstly - I have to commend the young gent in the pro shop who gratefully allowed us to play, despite having accidentally booked the tee time for the day prior!

The course for the most part is not particularly challenging, an opening short par 4 kind of sets the scene, a nice driving hole plays to an undulating fairway, the up to a generous, largely unguarded green. The second, a par 3 down the hill features an interesting green which I guess pretty much always plays to a flag set in a bowl back left. The third is one of a couple of drivable short par 4s on the outward half, I wouldn’t describe them as ‘risk or reward’ as there isn’t a great deal of risk off the tee - in keeping with the rest of the layout. The par 5, 4th is again a generous and aesthetic driving hole, and encourages an ‘opening of the shoulders’, plays downhill to the green, and should be a birdie hole for the longer hitters. The most interesting stretch of the course is the third between 7-12, the second of the drivable par 4s (7th) followed by a sharp right to left dogleg par 5, and the 240+ yard par 3 round out the front side, before getting into two strong, but again generous off the tee, par 4s as we get into the back 9. Hole 12, another short par 4, plays down the hill and slightly to the right - it’s no more than a 5 iron from the tee, leaving a half wedge in, to a green that you will likely play into from a downhill lie. The holes into the clubhouse are in keeping with the rest of the course, more short par 4s, and a pretty par 3. I do think an improvement could be made on 18, where the tee is moved back as far as possible to make it a mid length par 4.

The course condition was very good, the greens were “ok” and would benefit from being cut tighter. The pace of play was good - just under 3hrs for a 2 ball of cat 1 golfers with no hold ups despite groups in front and behind. As alluded above, perhaps I played it from the wrong tees or something but I saw virtually no risk or danger from any tee, more or better positioned hazards would improved the difficulty of the course, I lost shots on and around the greens from being short sided a couple of times.

I do believe the full rate is ambitious at £35pp - there is certainly better value to be had for £35, but on a hot deal for £26 I would recommend a round at Grimsby Golf Club.

Fantastic Course

Can’t fault anything about the course, fantastic condition, great staff, incredible course.

Excellent

From the moment I arrived the pro in shop Simon was very helpful and friendly, other golfers waiting at 1st tee also friendly and helpful, the course was immaculate from tee to green on every hole couldn't fault it and would highly recommend playing golf at Grimsby Golf course.

Just WOW

Played here before. Never ever seen it in this condition. It was outstanding before but even better now.
A must if you like everything well looked after (players,staff,course)
Outstanding.

Excellent course

Today was the 2nd time I’ve played this course and it was just as good as I remember it if not better. And the members are so welcoming not like other courses. Top course

Highly recommend

Excellent golf course first class staff (shop and club house) and very friendly members (on the course and in the club house.

Ring before you book!

I have played this course twice this year before today and really enjoyed the experience so booked another.
On arrival at the pro shop we were told the front 9 was closed due to greens maintenance so played the back 9 twice. The 9 we played was in good condition but as there was nothing on grimsby's web site about the work so I was disappointed to make an 80mile round trip to play a 9 hole course.
So my advice is as the header says "ring before you book"
Also Its not a big issue but we didn't stay for food as there was a limited menu with no fish even though they rave about it on their site.(second time this has happened)
But if all 18 are open it's a top course.

Great Layout

A very good standard of course. I have played courses all over the North of England in the pat few years including everyone in Yorkshire (some 200 +) and this would be in my top 10 for the region. Friendly staff and a very interesting course to play. I would highly recommend this hidden gem of a course.

Great looking holes

Excellent course would recommend to play. Greens and fairways brilliant. I will be coming again.

Great day out

A great day out was had by my partner and I at this tricky course in very windy conditions. Greens, tees and fairways in good condition in a very dry summer. Excellent food after the golf. Good value for money on a hot deal.

Grimsby golf is a little gem off a course

Played Grimsby golf course for the first time. Really enjoyed course layout. Holes where u cannot see the green. Long par 3 with a fairway bunker which caught me out. Very picture's with plenty off water features ponds/lake. Althought a short course it was a dream to play with course layout. Large clubhouse and excellent proshop. A must place to play for all golfers.

Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire