Slope N/A
Rating N/A
Haigh Hall Golf Club
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 1973
Architect Steve Marnoch Frank Pennink (1973)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Ian Lee Golf Academy"

Snacks

Clubhouse

Good course for mid to high handicap players

Course was a bit wet underfoot especially the first few holes. We played the 18 in just over 3 hours.as it wasn’t too busy. We are 18 handicap players , so it’s a good course for mid to high players .Quite open in places so can get away with the odd wayward shot . We will play again.

getting drier

was a lot dryer than 2 weeks ago - still boggy in parts but improved on my last visit

Great course, good value

For the price Haigh Hall is great. It’s a public course so you get a lot of beginners playing which can mean there’s some slow play. The course is set at the top of Wigan along the canal, so the setting is great. I would say one of the best located courses in the area. The greens are okay, a little slow but well kept. If it’s been raining a lot it can get a bit muggy, but it’s playable. Not a course you can play and be snobby, but if you’re after a cheap knock it’s one of the better places to play.

Haigh Hall Course Review

Haigh Hall. A staple for many a golfer just starting out and being introduced to their local municipal course.

Haigh Hall is a no frills course that doesn't pretend to be anything its not. Could it be better in areas? Absolutely. Could some holes benefit from a bit of thoughtful redesign. Of course. Bit of extra drainage for soggy areas? Yes please! But one thing I've noticed having played here for the first time in a while is this. They are trying. The greens are getting there. The tees could do with some more seeding. The bunkers are in need of alot of care. But I think they know that, and appear to be making some progress.

It is a muni after all. Don't come to expect pristine fairways, greens that run like glass. Come for a knock with your mates.

For what it is, this is a great course, stunning scenery and very well kept. Recommended.

A good track

A little soggy in places but fairways well cut, greens Mostly excellent, some tee boxes a little worse for wear, overall very good value. Recommended!

enjoyed being back

not played here for about 20 years , and the course has changed , it's decent , but probably the first 2-3 holes are very boggy , maybe it's the rain , but i thought the drainage would be better than it is , it slopes towards the canal but still very boggy - that's my only complaint

Good course

Good course great fun bit bogey when its been raining could do with a path thats in better condition but all in all good experience

First Time in 30 Years

Due to lots of rain the course in places was wet and muddy. But only to be expected. We cleaned and placed. Greens decent, would have preferred a bigger course plan as it wasn't always clear where the next tee was. The 12th needs a taller flag as you can't see where the green is for the marker in the middle of the fairway. The course needs stricter rules on players behaviour . . . we refused to let a two ball behind us through as they were playing out of one bag - that's a disgrace. Not sure I'd fancy playing the course in the winter. That said enjoyed the day . . . but it's a bit of a climb!

Car parking nightmare

Queuing traffic on narrow road to enter car park, was in queue for over 40 mins, missed my tee off time, needs sorting out before i return,
Course is lenthy and testing a good course if you can get to it.

Take a range finder.

Haigh Hall is a nice course. The fairways are short enough, the rough is quite friendly. The greens are near perfect. The main problem is signage. There is no signs. No distance markers, no route markers and no next tee markers. There were times I’d wished I’d brought a map and compass because we kept getting lost. There are no signs on the course for distance to the green. The amount of times I came up short I must have dropped 10-20 shots. Oh and get there early. There is a large family and children’s area so parking is a nightmare. Although it didn’t have to be. There was two entrances and two exits but only one entrance used. Why they never had the two entrances together and the two exits and the other was just bad planning.

Very wet but nice greens and fairways

First time I've played this course in about 6 years I used to play it on a regular basis. It had rained alot in the last day and was very wet around some greens and on some fairways. The greens though were in good condition I've probably never seen them as good as they are. Fairways were cut well as was the first cut if rough. It's clear they've been looking after the course. The price at 15 quid was fair as well. Forgot how nice some of the views and holes are!

Really nice

Course was in great condition and we were glad that all the ditches were dry because of the wether, or my score would have been a lot higher. From first to last couldn’t find any real fault with course. Difficult greens to judge so have to think when putting. The 2 young guys running the shop and the starter could not have been more helpful. All in all we were presently surprised specially as we had only paid £12 to play. If I was to have any complaints it would be the course needs some distance markers to the green all in all great afternoon our

Quarantine Golf!

Fortunately able to play golf in the current corona virus pandemic. Course wasn’t in great nick, was quite boggy and the greens had seen better days, but for £10 and being able to get out and have a round was great value for money. Holes were turned upside down, and safety measures were put in place but for £10 you can’t argue with a few bumpy greens!

Will probably come back in the summer (if we’re allowed)!

I played this course in the summer. It was overgrown, boggy and the greens were incredibly poor.
I’m a father to a 1 year old so as you can imagine, I don’t get out much these days!
I was lookin forward to a round of golf. Forecast was great, given sign off from the Mrs, everything was going well until an old work colleague of mine recommended Haigh Hall. I warned him of my previous experience but he persisted and I relucatantly agreed.
Never again!
Played my tee shot on the first, went straight down the fairway and to no surprise at all, it sunk so far into the ground not even the seven dwarfs could dig their way down to find it.
From that point onwards it got from bad to worse. I mean I got to the third and all I could think about is how I forgot to pack a pair of wellies for the trip. By the 5th it was swimming trunks.
The greens were the equivalent standard of a pebble beach. I’d advise a full swing for a 5 foot putt approx.
We reached the 6th and my old work colleague was already looking at the map on the course card to find the quickest root back to the clubhouse. I had to persuade him not to phone in sick for work on Monday as he was holding back tears and a broken man.
After prompting him to continue, he had a chill out cigarette and we soldiered on. The frequency of chill out cigarettes increased dramatically from this point on I must say.
By the 12th I didn’t even feel like I’d signed up for a game of golf. There were hills everywhere. I closed my eyes for a second and I was nearly at the top of Ben Nevis. If you’re not an asthmatic, bring an inhaler. If you do suffer from asthma, I’d recommend strapping an oxygen tank to your golf trolley and having an ambulance on standby at the carpark.
On the 14th my colleague fell over climbing up a soggy hill approaching the green and good lord his wifes got some washing to do! No point throughout the course there were any pathways. I swear they’ll be hosting Tough Mudder 2020 at Haigh Hall.
Handicaps also mean absolutely nothing on this course by the way. We decided to start a game of ‘If you don’t lose a ball on a hole you get a point’. Which in fairness, stopped the anger for a hole or two.
To my relief, by the end of the 16th I’d finally noticed the elderly chaps behind us were nowhere to be seen as they’d been tailing our backsides the whole day. I was tempted to run back and see if they were alright getting up the hill my colleague had previously fallen over on, however I seriously didn’t have the energy. They’re probably pulling one of their mates out the quicksand on the 15th with a stick as I type this.
We made the 18th, the clubhouse was in sight and I saw light at the end of the tunnel. I honestly couldn’t have wished that round on my worst enemy.
My partner is now going to leave me for playing golf twice in the same weekend because I’m going to have to find a course that erases the memory of today.
I didn’t see one groundskeeper for the whole 5 hours I was present. Which is quite funny when a team of 30, working on it 9-5 for 12 months solid wouldn’t get the course to pitch and putt standard.
Word of advice, user lower grade balls, bring a shovel and definitely a survival kit..
Don’t waste your time and energy. Will not be returning again!

Never Again!

Never again!
We reached the 6th and my old work colleague was already looking at the map on the course card to find the quickest root back to the clubhouse. I had to persuade him not to phone in sick for work on Monday as he was holding in tears.
Handicaps are meaningless on this course by the way. We decided to start a game of ‘If you don’t lose a ball on a hole you get a point’. Which in fairness, stopped the anger for a hole or two.
To my relief, by the end of the 16th I’d finally noticed the elderley chaps behind us were nowhere to be seen as they’d been tailing us the whole day. I was tempted to run back and see if they were alright getting up the hill my colleague had previously fallen over on, however I seriously didn’t have the energy. They’re probably pulling one of their mates out the quicksand on the 15th with a stick as I type this.
Don’t waste your time and energy. Will not be returning again!

First time here

First time here I won’t be returning any time soon as the pace of play was shocking we had three young lads in front of us who ruined our day all day , waiting 10 mins every hole , I spoke to regular and he insists the course is going down bank the last few years , the greens are in good condition , very boggy in places , I will give it a visit maybe in 1 years time to see if any improvements

Haigh, Wigan