2.6

Year Built 1892
Golf Season Year round. High Season: April 16th - October 31st
Architect H. S. Colt

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Delta, Mastercard, Maestro, Switch
Dress code Golf shirts with a collar/turtle neck. Shirts must be tucked in at all times. When wearing shorts, white socks, long /short must be worn. Socks must be visible.

Bar

Clubhouse

Very poor condition.

Having played the course previously and really enjoyed the challenge, it was a real shame to see the course in such poor condition. Many courses have suffered because of the dry weather however the fairways were almost unplayable on almost every hole. The greens were also very poorly cut. Such a shame for such a great course. It would have been nice to have been warned before spending the money and driving the significant distance.

Stunning views

I am fairly local to IOP golf but have never played it until now. Stunning views all around the golf course with the highlight on the signature 5th hole.
The difficulty of the course is dictated by the wind. I believe it is always windy there but can get extreme.
I personally scored a lot better on the back 9 which felt like wind was more favourable as you head back towards the club house.
The course has a links feel as it is bare natural fairways. I found the greens a bit slow and spongy but that is only from what I am used to playing.
Stopped for a drink after the round watching the sun set over the Purbecks. Wish we had booked in for some food as well! It looked and smelt really good.

Amazing location but what's going on with the greens?

I've lived in Dorset for over 35 years but never played Purbeck until yesterday. I knew it was the favourite course of several friends, so had great anticipation.
I was expecting the fairways to have suffered with the dry weather, but I couldn't believe the greens. I've honestly never played on such pock marked greens. There are so many marks, if you create a new one, you don't know where to start repairing them. I can only imagine there was no work done on the course over lockdown. If you want play in an incredible location then 5 stars, but no stars for the greens I'm afraid.

Disappointing condition

A little disappointed as to the condition of the course greens and fairways in a terrible condition this having been said the views and layout of the course are fabulous and the par 3’s are all outstanding having played it some years ago would like to go back and play when it is in better condition

Could have been so much better!

The greeting was mixed, found that they had not had notification from GN about our extra player though we had paid for him. Views were tremendous but the fairways and greens were in very poor condition. (I realise that the course incorporates the heathland but the fairways at times were unplayable.)

Once on the greens, the surfaces were pockmarked and unworthy of being called a green. Picking a line was impossible because the ball bounced and diverted onto dictated to by the surface.

All in all, one can sum the course up by saying fantastic views but don’t expect to enjoy your golfing experience if you play here!

Golf is about more than a view

I played with my family and we were all very disappointed.

The course is challenging and has the best views you can imagine, however, the greens were covered in equal parts sand and grass and were covered in dimples which made putting properly impossible as the ball just hopped and skipped all over the place. Very poor, this is a view shared by a number of members we bumped into on our round who were equally disappointed.

The fairways also lacked grass which was surprising considering the lack of footfall recently due to the COVID19 situation.

We played this course based on recent reviews none of which mentioned the state of the greens?!

We have contacted the management team about our disappointment however they have not responded.

Loved It !

Played this course on a sunny day (wind picked up from 4th hole onwards which have a completely different perspective). Tough challenge and one you’ll thoroughly enjoy. The views are up with the best courses in the UK (Enodoc, Pennard, Turnberry etc). The only negative is the state of too many of the fairways ... play preferred lies in your friendly group game and you’ll be fine but beware they are a bit scorched. Greens a good pace. Staff couldn’t be friendlier

Will play again !

View great, course not so much.

THE MOST STUNNING VIEWS IN ALL BRITAIN. A fact.

The walk and views are incredible and most of the holes look stunning but the fairways and greens are shocking. It's a links style course with heathland vibes too but it's so dry that the fairways are just concrete-like earth and patches of dead weed grass. The greens have hundreds of pot holes from unrepaired pitchmarks, to which there are lots of signs saying repair but no one seems to bother. Honestly the worse greens I've played on.

I'd still recommend the course to anyone. £25 is a bargain but I sort of wish they'd charge £75 and invest the money in a sprinkler system and sort the greens out too! I've played lots of links and often in summer the fairways are burnt out but the greens are always excellent.

The clubhouse is a beauty and the terrace bar overlooks all of Dorset. Stunning, stunning views and the day I played it was wall to wall sunshine. The 5th hole is like something from a dream. It rivals anything from Cypress Point or Pebble Beach - that's how good this course should be. Thinking about it Pebble Beach is $250 a round and it shows.

If I had a couple of million quid I'd throw it all into this course and make it the best in the world because, honestly, it should be up there with the above mentioned courses.

I'll 110% play again but maybe in the winter when it's had some rain.

Anyway, repair your pitchmarks!

Excellent course & value for money

A beautiful but tricky course that is a real pleasure to play for all skill sets. The hilly terrain presents new challenges for every shot, whilst the scenic views complete this wonderfully located golf club. Excellent value for money for a course that can compete with many championship golf courses across the UK for significantly less green fee prices.

Fabulous location

I have been playing Isle of Purbeck since 1979 and have visited intermittently since that time. The course layout is as ever - excellent. The condition this year was disappointing but probably inevitable given the summer of 2018. The greens were variable in pace and the fairways worn. It looked like a little more TLC was required to sharpen the presentation of this magnificent layout.

Heatwave

I used to be a member here but the last time I played, the course was in poor condition and felt unloved. Not so this time. The course was in great condition considering the drought and whilst the fairways are all burned up, the greens are good. Unexpected bounces made play challenging but I only brought a 3 wood so was forced to leave the driver out of the bag - good move!
My only reservation was the pace of play - we were a 2 ball head up by another 2 ball throughout the round. Just poor etiquette.

Fantastic Views

Great lynx course with some tough holes, excellent views and great greens.

Fantastic views

Fantastic golf course,staff really friendly only disappointing thing was had I booked direct with the golf course a free breakfast for the same price.

Test yourself

Play it twice if you can (I did) as the second time you realise you can be more aggressive. A very challenging and interesting course with stunning views. The price you pay for the view is the wind which only adds to the challenge. I must admit I read a previous review which was quite damning and wasn't sure what to expect, but the course is as you wood expect from a foreland type course which I thought was in very good order. The only points that let it down was things like the housekeeping around the course and the tired nature of some of the outbuildings but things doesn't affect play, just the perception before you tee off. I played at 4 o clock in Sept for £25 was the last one on the course , so pace was good and went round in just under 3 hours. My reward was seeing a herd of deer at dusk strolling along the second fairway. The lady and gentleman in the clubhouse were very welcoming , but I didn't use the bar as only had a short holiday pass from the missus. Would highly recommend , but you will need an app or strokesaver and a few more spare balls than usual. But you'll be glad you did.

A must if you are in the area

I played at 4pm in Sept for £25 was the last one on the course , so pace was good and went round in just under 3 hours. My reward was seeing a herd of deer at dusk strolling along the second fairway.

usual. But you'll be glad you did.

Stunning scenery and a tough challenge

Isle of Purbeck will give you some of the best views of any golf course in the UK. Overlooking Poole harbour, the views on a clear day are stunning. But this is a really tough golf course that, even after playing a couple of times, takes some learning. It plays quite like a links and is windy even on a calm day. There are a number of blind shots but the marker posts are all good lines to follow from the tees. The greens ae typically links-like; slow uphill and quick downhill, with the wind playing a part. Bunkers are of high quality, adding up to make this a good quality course. If you play it after 2pm as well, it is a bargain at £25 for a round.
The only complaint would be the lack of yardage markers on the course. My phone GPS app wasn't working for some reason and I was pretty much playing blind. There are 200 and 150 yard markers but nothing else, making judgement of approach shots from inside 130 yards very difficult. This is the one area that would improve the golfers experience of an otherwise outstanding course.

What a shame....

They do not care about that wonderful an unique course at all. The Fairways are in a bad condition as well as the really challenging and well designed greens.
Especially the greens were in a horrible condition - worse like wintergreens.
The staff in the bureau is unfriendly and impolite to guests.
The range and the balls are joke. Some balls are older then me...
But the really nice and friendly pro has got a Trackman - they should invest on range balls and new mats first.
First and last time for me, but i hope that someone of them reads this and changes something, because it could be on of the best courses in England with a bit passion for care.

Stunning scenery

Visually stunning. A relentless test in a 20mph+ prevailing wind, very unforgiving. Recommend a trip onto the white tee on the 5th. Number 6 was tough into the wind.

The majesty of the Isle of Purbeck

Great course, fantastic views. Shame about the weather but what can you expect at the end of February?
It was 3 degrees centigrade when we teed off and most of the fairways had surface water. It was windy (20-30 mph). However, the design of the course (some lovely holes) and the views offset the poor conditions.
Friendly staff and good beer on the 19th were greatly appreciated.
It was pointed out to us that, if we had booked directly with the club, we would have had a better deal.

Swanage, Purbeck