Nelson Golf Club

White 70 6006 yards
Yellow 70 5670 yards
Red (W) 72 5377 yards
Scorecard for Nelson Golf Club
White M: 68.7/117 356 162 484 307 332 173 431 375 376 2996 404 168 551 155 420 477 185 341 309 3010 6006
Red W: 67.1/113 319 116 459 284 298 152 421 344 362 2755 389 143 465 123 378 430 119 278 297 2622 5377

Year Built 1917
Architect Alister MacKenzie (1917)

Golf Simulator Yes

A good test

Nelson is always fun to play, usually in good condition with friendly staff and good members.

Somewhere to go for a nice day out.

Enjoyable round of golf, spoiled by slow play - again. Appreciate it may have been a competition, but even those in the competition were being held up for about 6 or 7 holes! Experienced this last time I visited, needs addressing. Fairways suffering due to weather, but greens in very good condition.

Decent compact course, warm welcome, unpleasant members.

What a day it was- beautiful weather, and a warm welcome in the clubhouse.

Playing alone, I was quickly at the tail of a three ball, who explained they were being held up by a slow four ball. After the sixth hole, thee three lost patience and cut to another part of the course. It was thus that I was no standing around in blazing sunshine frequently waiting ten minutes to play a shot. With this time to kill, I decided to ‘play against myself by keeping the score of two competing balls.

At the ninth green, my caddie went to the toilet, while I holed out and found some shade from the blazing heat of the day. It was probably the better part of ten minutes between playing into the green and walking to the tenth tee, so teed off, a rather long drive disappeared beyond the guidestick. Having no desire to catch the sloths in front I decided to have another go. 9 holes behind this group had taken me 2 hours 20 minutes- I wonder what their round time was.

Having walked to my ball i discover the group in front had still not reached the green. At the next tee, they had not really begun to tee off before I arrived, and one of the rudest people- no- the rudest person I have ever encountered on a golf course informed me that I had nearly hit him. I apologised- obviously, as there was no one in sight and certainly not intended. Nevertheless he continued berating me until his own party pointed out that that was enough or perhaps he might like to go play the hole.

A few holes later I was accosted by a second Curt member who pointed out my shirt was untucked (can’t argue with club rules), and that practise was not allowed. I pointed out that I had now been stuck for quite some time (I generally get round in 2h30) and was frustrated that the group in front has shown no awareness as to etiquette. He suggested I speak to them myself. Rather unhelpfully, when I have been stood at the same tee as the glacial golfers.

All in a sad day as I’ve enjoyed visits to Nelson before including the pro shop welcome, and my caddie was shaken by the confrontations.

Lovely course.Not too hard for higher handicappers but wind can be a factor as mostly exposed uplands.Limited catering Monday lunchtimes.Excellent value for money.Limited signage but doesnt really need it as next tee usually obvious and close by.Good walking course ,mostly flat.Greens lovely condition and fast as windswept.

Nelson Golf Course

This course is quite high up and I would imagine if it gets windy would be difficulty to play, luckily it was not that windy when we played. The course in general is very flat apart from the odd hole, the par 5’s are short and there are a few par 3’s. The ground was rock hard when we went so the ball ran for miles which helps and the greens were lightning fast. The atmosphere was good and everybody was friendly, the group behind us had come from the lakes to play. We played on a Friday at 11oclock which was a good time as after that it started getting busy. Would not hesitate to play here again and the price was very good on Teeofftimes, I recommend you give it a go it’s worth the effort.

Very Enjoyable

Very Enjoyable course, great conditions, nice interesting holes. Not the longest course out there..Very generous par 5s. Tee beds very close to greens though and lots of public pathways and right of ways. Still didn't spoil the round. Would highly recommend. Defiantly be back.

Sunshine over Pendle.

Delightful course in great condition. interesting holes and great views over East Lancashire. Highly recommended.

Good course, slow going!

Course in good condition for time of year and recent weather. Good mix of holes/challenges. Shame slow play of 4 members (?) with no one in front of them meant an over 3 1/2 hour round for 2 golfers - poor etiquette! Would highly recommend even if not part of an offer.

Great parkland course

Despite recent wet weather, the course drains well and was fairly dry. The course was well maintained, particularly the greens which were fast and very challenging!

Well worth a visit

The course was in great condition with the weather we have had if late the green were a bit behind but on the whole very good indeed.

Great course,

Played this course after it had been closed for 2 days due to bad weather, The fairways were very wet in places, and the greens were very soft with a lot of footprints on them,Will look forward to returning when the better weather returns next year,This is a very good course and would be a pleasure to play when the conditions are good,Would recommend this course as a course that one should play,

Good value bank holiday golf

Nelson is not the longest- or the hilliest course in this part of the world. In common with many of the other course locally, it offers stunning views of the local area including the commanding contours of Pendle.

As always, the welcome in the pro shop was very warm. The course was reasonably busy- but the pace of play was pretty good.

I couldn't believe my eyes on the 10th fairway when it became apparent that a man had brought a troupe of young children to use the course as a play ground. One even took a liking to my ball!

The wind blew a little, but didn't spoil the enjoyment of this delightful course.

Excellent value Round

Nelson is not the longest, or most challenging course, but it is beautifully kept- the greens are the best I've played in Lancashire. The staff and members alike were friendly.

The green fee from teeofftes (a hot deal) meant it was extraordinary value.

Thoroughly recommended.

Excellent course

Was made very welcome in the club shop before playing our round and things only got better. Course was in excellent condition and thoroughly enjoyed! Highly recommended a visit although off the fairways can be punishing.

Excellent

Great course.. Greens brilliant.. Staff in club house friendly and to say we played on sunday.. It was a dream round with no one chasing us on.. Great value through teetimes

Nelson GC superb course

Played nelson GC for the first time today 23/4/2017, the course was in a fantastic condition greens running nice and fast, not a long course but can seem to play long if the wind is up and your not a long hitter, some very tricky holes make the course very interesting, will defiantly be going back more than a few times this year to play again,only one problem we came across, the score cards could do with a course map on the back because if your playing here for the first time it can get a bit confusing where your heading, but apart from that excellent course would highly recommend ten out of ten.

Burnley, Borough of Burnley