Newbold Comyn Golf Course

"Has gone downhill"

t1951954905's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

I really don't understand what has happened.I have played here on and off for 30 years and the condition now is shocking.Such a shame as the course itself is great .Until they sort things out,i will not be returning.

Bunkers full of grass.Greens half an long and covered in disease and holes.The semi rough was 4+ inches long.

No.Just No !

Commented on 10/04/2017

Hi

Newbold is a very challenging course to play and to maintain we know the bunkers are in a terrible state but they are being worked on but your comment about greens being long is due to the fact they have just been renovated when you had played here and weren't being cut due to growth and helping the seed to germinate better the greens are looking so much better now and as everyone knows the rough grows fast at the newbold we are always playing catch up it might not looked like it when you played but we are on top of it and will make it one of the best pay as you play courses in the Midlands thanks for your comment it is good for feedback so we can make it a lot better we look forward to you coming back to play

"such a shame"

t813471854's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

after reading reviews advising of improvement since new green keeper was really disapointed to find the course in such a poor/terrible condition. bunkers not in use, greens with more sand than skegness beach, theres probably more grass on skegness beach (they were the worst greens ive ever played on in over 40 years of playing).

luckily we only paid £7.50, would have felt conned paying any more, as the experience was not much better than hitting a few balls at the range

course was virtually empty on a saturday which probably says it all so at least the pace of play was good

theres no clubhouse so food and a drink is not an option which again adds to the failure of this place

its such a shame as the course is a challenging course and if the fairways had a cut and the greens made playable you could have an enjoyable game, as it is its a lottery and quite honestly wouldnt return even if it was offered for free

Commented on 10/04/2017

Hi

Newbold is a very challenging course to play and to maintain we know the bunkers are in a terrible state but they are being worked on but your comment about greens being to sandy is due to the fact they have just been renovated as noted inside the pro shop when you had played here the greens are looking so much better now and as everyone knows the rough grows fast at the newbold we are always playing catch up it might not looked like it when you played but we are on top of it and will make it one of the best pay as you play courses in the Midlands as for the clubhouse there is a pub next door to the course we cit our fairways twice a week without fail thanks for your comment it is good for feedback so we can make it a lot better

"A good experience in Leamington Spa"

t1743771651's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2017

A pleasant round on an interesting course with adequate challenges for occasional golfers. We will play it again.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2017

20 years since last playing this course and I managed to get a hole in one on the 12th. It took a driver though (212 yards) as this is a big hilly course. Shame about missing signage and the odd patch on some greens. Nice big open fairways, my kind of course.

"Comeback King"

Gazrae's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2017

Newbold Comyn is back!! The course has deteriorated badly in recent years but I am happy to report that it's almost back to its former glory.I would rate it at 8/10 in its current condition and with a little more time and care the green staff will have this beast of a track competing with the very best courses in the county again.A massive thank you to all at the club for all the hard work Involved in getting the Newbold back to its best.

"A great test for any golfer"

t1886909549's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2017

Course condition now much improved thanks to the very enthusiastic new green keeping staff. Course has lots of character and challenges. Nice holes with contrasting front and back nines.

"Course looking good after a lot of work"

StuSummers's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

It was great to see the course looking so good, it's a lovely setting and a pleasure to play. The hard work is paying off and the tees, fairways and greens are so much better than a few weeks ago. Thanks to the staff and friends of Newbold for a great effort.

"Almost back to former glory"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2017

We have been coming back to Newold Comyn for over 20 years and its true the condition did slip over the previous couple of years but apart form the green that need a bit more work its great to see the course back to its former glory. Firstly, Leamington Spa is a great town to visit, the course manager could literally not do enough for us and was incredibly enthusiastic. I've played at a lot of the top courses in the UK and abroad and I can honestly say this is one of my favourite - there isn't a weak hole on the course. It was deserted when we played twice last week so I recommend playing there as soon as possible before it gets too popular again.

"How to neglect a course"

t1649644668's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017

Played here many times some years ago but was appalled at its condition this week. Tees and fairways need grass cut. Trouble finding balls on fairways. Greens the worst I've ever played on. Total waste of my time and money and will not be returning.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 05/31/2017

Could not agree more. Such a shame a lovely course being neglected

"Newbold comyn golf course"

Keithpountney's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2017

Where do you want me to start, well having played golf for for the past twenty five years I must say this is the worst course I've ever played. The greens have not been looked after at all very very poor, it was not possible to lineup a putt on any green.

The tee boxes were so bad most were like a ploughed field. I had to apologise to my playing partner for Ruining his day and I will not be going back to this venue. As far as I'm concerned it was not value for money.????? KP

Johnmulchrone1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2017

"Newbold Comyn"

GeoffBush's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/31/2016

Terrific value for money. Layout of the course is very nice with some very attractive holes. Only down side was that some of the greens were not at there best, however it was the last day of October.