Style Woodland
Newbury & Crookham Golf Club

Year Built 1873

A real gem of a course with a great layout

This course was a real surprise, and i simply don't know why I have never played it before. Every hole has the golfer interested and is challenging. The par 3 holes are simply superb and a real challenge. The par 3 17th has a real links feel to it, with a tight shot into a small green. The welcome was friendly and we had a nice meal in the club house post round. All in all, this course was in great condition and it length at just under 6,000 yards gives the average golfer a real chance of a decent round. We will be back!

Friendly challenging scenic course

Very warm welcome ,booked a 3 ball on a special Deal and acccomodated a 4 th player at same cost, course In great condition for time of year ,greens been spiked and a little slow but nice to putt on, this course is a joy to play lots of variety and you wont been dissapointed .

Day ruined

Usually like this course and arranged a four ball to go play based on my recommendation .... course looked good from the first tee and we were away, then disaster!

The pro shop or at any time during booking failed to mention the greens were being hollow cored and on top of that very heavily sanded, couldn't hit putts hard enough in some spots and then less sanded areas ran flying by, nightmare to play, even to the point that one our four didnt want to play the course anymore and left after 9 holes.......

Extremely disappointed that this wasn't mentioned at all and then when we finished the pro shop wasnt even open to go have a word. What a let down, a course I usually enjoy but will think twice before playing again now.

One of the best courses in the region

The course is up their with the best courses in the region I'd even put it up their with Goring and Streetley. The Fairways were excellent throughout felt like Carpet and the greens were also excellent. The staff were happy to let us pretty much tee off when ever due to it being mainly a members course an don't really have set tee times. Everyone out on the course was friendly throughout also.

Interesting course

Greens And tee boxes where in excellent condition staff where very friendly will definitely play again

Irritating

We booked a four ball via Tee-Off times. The tee time was 12.12. When we arrived we were told that the course was closed for a ladies competition until 12.15. Nobody believed that we has a 12.12 booking until I actually produced the booking confirmation. Despite the competition being cleared well in advance of 12.12 we eventually teed off (thanks to officialdom gone mad) at about 12.30.
Course was excellent, greens fast. The problem is attitude..

Great course and facilities. Some members let it down

Course is great. It makes up for it’s lack of yards with some tough holes, the 8th In particular is a challenging par4.

Staff in the pro shop are among the best I’ve dealt with.

The only thing that lets the course down is the attitude of the older members. I have played this course 100+ times. I can’t remember a round where I haven’t heard an stupid half wit comment aimed at one or more of our group. We are all aged between 25-40 so not juniors and 3 of us are ex members. If it wasn’t for these people I would definitely re-join this club. As it is I will keep my membership else where and return as the course is too good to not play it.

Course 5 stars
Pro shop 5 star
Club house 4 star
Members no stars!

A great course

Without question... Newbury & Crookham has become one of my favourite courses. Great mix of holes. Condition was amazing considering all the rubbish weather... so massive credit to the Greenkeepers. What more can l say?... other than “I’ll be back!”

Great round

Had a fantastic round at Newbury and Crookham. Played the course back to front (started on 10th, finished on 9th) which was a bit strange to start with. Great variety of holes. Only downside was having some rude comment from members of the course about our abilities.

Great course with good variety and friendly staff and members

Mature course with interesting variety of holes in very good condition for beginning of November.
Played midweek early afternoon in 2 ball starting from 10th, with other 2 ball ahead and behind, and able to play at a good pace.
Staff and members friendly.
We will play here again.

A little gem of a test for the average handicapper. Big hitters should murder this course so how come they don't!

A great set of Par 3's is the reason. 5 of them with memorable definition and high Stoke indexes. Not a long course but it has a few ups and downs and a couple of testing drives to the fairway off the white tees for average drivers of the ball.
The Par 3 9th and 17th are brilliant holes whilst the easy, driveable, par 4 12th (s.i. 17) is not easy at all!
Current free keeper has improved the greens no end and fairway definition is very good. Only drawback can be lack of sand in bunkers after periods of rain but this is irrelavent if you miss them altogether!

Good value golf, clubhouse and close to the M4 if travelling, this is a lovely parkland course to visit.

Great track - just go and visit it !!

Always enjoy playing this course - really good set up and condition and always super friendly towards visitors right from pro shop to bar staff and geeen keepers.
Great value for money

Well laid out course with good variety of holes.

Played as a four-ball in August. Definitely not a straight-up/straight-down course with a good mix of holes with some raised tees and greens.
Course was in good condition despite recent hollow-tining.
Would recommend this course if you're after a change from the course(s) you're used to playing. Not too many visitiors resulting in course not being too busy.

Friendly club and a fantastic course - great value for money

I would highly recommend playing here . The staff were friendly as were the members we came across and the course was in good nick too.
Thank you all for your kind hospitality.
EB

The course has no holes the same

I found the pro in shop excellent + golf course looked
after fairways were cut correctly + greens were also
excellent. The course is a good test and will play
again due to the welcome and course

Nice oldy worldy course

On old fashioned club who is accepting change and welcomes guests course is in pristine condition and the staff are very helpful (we somehow managed to book via the app a tee time in the middle of a woman's open comp)!and they sorted us out . Not sure all the members like the change as some could have been friendlier and questioned what we were doing pointing out we couldn't play as there was a comp on even though the pro had just suggested we start on the 10th to solve the double booking - but to be fair this happens at many clubs even if you are a member so we just laughed it off as we walked to the 10th to start.

Donnington, West Berkshire