Northampton Golf Club

Type: Private
Style: Parkland

Carts: Yes - GBP 14 - GBP 20

Indoor practice facilities: Yes

Metal spikes allowed: Soft spikes preffered
Dress code: Proper attire is required.

White 72 6515 yards N/A N/A
Yellow 72 6293 yards N/A N/A
Red (W) 73 5610 yards N/A N/A

"Need Another Round"

Glynny46's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/28/2016

I played this course for the first time just recently after hearing so much about it hoping to be blown away by it. Blown away I wasn't but it was a pleasant enough knock with the course ticking all the right boxes to a high enough standard, just not exceptional. I had managed to find a hard to refuse price on one of the apps so me and a pal went along.

Probably not the greatest of starts as the pair in front of us walked over the brow of a hill and out of sight on the first so we gave them a minute and then we played with my partner taking a driver only to be met a few seconds after his drive by a rather irate player ascending the brow raising his hands at us. Sorry. I gave it a further 2 mins before hitting a 2 iron up the centre. We followed up only to be met by the pair in front just over the brow looking for a ball. My 2 iron was only a number of yards away from where the other player was standing. Sorry (again). The 2 dropped down a steep hill and rang a warning bell even though at this point we were only yards away. Point taken. But nowhere had we seen on the opening tee a 'wait for bell' sign and if there was it wasn't obvious. Also the 4 ball behind us was on the brow of the hill before we had rung the bell so had both groups missed it or is there a sign even there? Whatever, it's clearly not obvious enough!

Anyway, the round was underway and it was clear the track was going to be undulating but the greens were very well manicured right from the word go. I'm presuming the greens will be fast in summer, but I'm also hazarding a guess the course could be a bit boggy in winter esp between holes 2 & 3 and with that many hills. We shall see.

The middle holes were all pleasant enough with a couple more bells for blind drives here and there but some nice holes generally with not too much danger out there really. To be in real trouble here it would have to be a particularly bad shot deserving of a bogey or double. If you want to be in real trouble, you would have to work for it.

The highlight to the course for me was the closing 4 holes with a nice long 15, picturesque 16 over a lake, simple 17 and handsome 18, back over the same lake as 16, with the clubhouse looking on.

All in all, pleasant enough, ticked all the boxes and an enjoyable round. I will certainly play it again but at the reduced rates from the apps as I don't think it can justify its summer green fees from my first impression.

Round: 76 Handicap: 3