2.2

Rating N/A
Regent Park Golf Course
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 1932
Architect James Braid (1932) Dave Thomas (2013)

Snacks

Clubhouse, Locker Rooms

2.6

Only 9 hole open and once first 9 were done there was a queue to get back on the 10th as too many people were booked on so just left. Course not great

Shockingly Awful

We arrived at 06:50 for a 07:12 tee time and the place was deserted apart from greenstaff out cutting the course. We stepped up to the tee box and it was quite long grass on the 1st but we put it down to the time of day!

We played the 1st and the 2nd with no real issue although course conditions werent great with long fairways and orange/yellow greens!! As we made our way to the 3rd tee there was a sign explaining that 3,4,5,6,7 were all closed holes! At this stage i wasnt happy given the fact that this wasnt signposted on any part of the Golf Now or Regent Park GC websites. Anyway despte that we climbed on to the 8th tee and played 8 and 9. The 9th by the way was purely awful. The fairways were very long and dangerous in places (see photos). We finished 9 and made our way to 10.

To get to the 10th tee you walk past the clubshop which was now open. It was open and at the same time had 20+ blokes outside of it ready to tee off. There was a competition being played with the back 9 Being played twice. Again no signposting to this anywhere so we now found ourselves behind a huge group of blokes. I spoke to the lad behind the screen in the clubshop who basically blamed Golf Now for not putting anything on the website, yet had nothing to say when i showed him the Regent Park website with nothing on it either.

When i asked about a refund i was told to seek it from Golf Now, which is what i 100% intend to do. I will be contacting the chairman of Regent Park aswell as the whole thing is ridiculous. £26 each for that is nothing short of daylight robbery!

The worst

Honestly one of, if not the worst places I have ever tried playing. I played with my friends dad who is a very well off man and has played some of the best courses in the country, but even myself as a beginner was disgusted by the sate of the place. The fairways and the greens looked like somebody had been riding quad bikes on them. It was disgusting I wish all the best to the club, but I will not be playing nor recommending to any friends.

Don’t waste your money

They have a lot of nerve charging £25 for this course. A few holes aren’t even open and the rest are in a terrible state. Apparently we should have received a call about the closed holes but we didn’t. Drainage seems to be the main problem and this is in summer. I used to play here as a kid and it was very popular and in better condition but over the years it’s been allowed to deteriorate to the point where it’s not worth a visit. Go somewhere else!

Such a shame

Played this course a year ago and was very impressed. Not so any more.
Walked off after 9 holes this morning. Would have thought I was playing in November judging by the conditions of the course.
Now, I'm not the best golfer by any means, but I don't like loosing balls when I do eventually hit the fairways! On some holes, I really couldn't tell where the rough ended and the fairway began.
Very wet, very poor condition.
Such a shame as it is a great layout.
Better courses in the area for less money.

Boggy course - second 9 much better!

Enjoyed the day but we weren't big fans of the first Half of the course. Although it was a wet day some holes were swimming pools! Staff at the bar were also not friendly, moaning about doing their own meal deal. Wouldn't go back - but could just be bad experience.

Great layout, Poor conditions and policies

Tried to book for a 4 ball but was told that only max 3 balls to increase speed of play so booked two 2 balls instead. Upon arrival we found they had double booked our slot and the other two guys were turned away after we were just before them in the queue to register, (I personally had travelled 1.75 hours to play so I would of been fuming if it was the other way round!) We offered to play as a 4 ball but the management would not allow it.

We had to wait to tee off as there seemed to be a back log on the tee. after arriving at the second, we were waited for 4 minutes with he guys in front of us as they were waiting on the group in front of them and we could see another two groups waiting for the third tee to clear ahead of them. Realising that we would end up waiting 10 minutes plus on each tee due to the back log, we decided to play as a four ball to ease the congestion and continued to do this for the next 8 holes keeping up with the groups in front of us and often waiting for them to clear their first shots. As we were coming up the 9th, management drove down to us and asked us to go back to two 2 balls despite us explaining how we were still waiting on the groups in front as a 4 ball and separating again would only increase the back log further for groups behind. unfortunately, management did not seem to be on board with this and we were asked to separate regardless. Madness and totally unnecessary!!

if the course had not been that busy or the course well kept then I probably wouldn't have written this review as I never normally do. However the course conditions were absolutely awful considering we paid £20 and have played here a year ago and the conditions were great! course was waterlogged in many places with unplayable spots on many greens (not just standing water, but large muddy patches so not just from the days rains) there were also many fairways uncut in clearly over a couple of weeks and lots of grass cuttings and bits of turf all over many of the greens.

The course has an excellent layout and plenty of potential with good club shop and dining facilities but the new "slow play" policies and dreadful upkeep of the holes means we will not be returning to this course.

Poor and gone to the dogs

Very very poor course, For £25 a round youd think this sould be a good course but front 9 well dont even bother, Boggy and muddy patches not well kept at all back 9 ok but last time we went we paid £12 for 9 holes and how poor where they, tee boxes rubbish, fairways not cut, rough very rough, greens not cut, dont waste your money, better courses around the area for around the same price or better.
Youve been warned

Regent Park Course Review

How the mighty have fallen. Poor old Regent Park. My very first golf course I ever set foot on. I learnt the game here. And loved growing up here many years ago.

Now, its a shadow of its former self. A ghost of what could have been. A ruin.

I would go as far as to say, that perhaps they did not plan on opening after lockdown. Perhaps selling the land to home development. Because I found a course devoid of any care at all. Overgrown, Unloved, anything but a golf course. You have no idea where one hole starts and only realise its ended because there is a flag poking out of a green that would make first cuts of rough look like amazing putt8ng surfaces.

Regrettably. Regent Park is dead. I have many fond memories playing here years ago. But thats all I have. There is not a golf course to speak of here anymore. Such a shame. Another course lost.

Worse course I’ve played. Greens were shocking, no rakes for bunkers, no score cards provided, broken tees all over tee start. Steward talking while taking shots about tee times and payment. Absolute joke of a place.

Save your money

Overall condition of the course was pretty bad to say the least especially given the amount of time they have had due to lock down to get it in tip top shape.firstly tee box markers are none existent leaving you pretty much guessing,the majority of the greens were terrible(bumpy as with bald patches) and rock solid,the bunkers were a disgrace as there was more weeds and grass in them than sand,the signage leaves a lot to be desired especially when you finish the 9th hole(even someone we ask who had played there before where is the 10th said not sure think it's a 5 min walk down there) then a member said just keep walking down there and you'll come to it seriously it cost pennies to make signs,put sand in bunkers de weed,feed greens the list goes on.and one final moan which was quite significant for me and probably others,dont expect to use skydroid app etc for yardage,distance hole guide as apparently the adjusted the front nine quite a while ago so if you must play here use a range finder or guess as we had to.there are also numerous public paths and tracks were the public are free to roam,there was even parents and kids sat on a tee box on one hole so honestly be careful as we encountered a seriously high amounts of people just wandering around, I really would be shocked it someone is not seriously hurt at some point.on a positive note the course could really be excellent with more thought,care,and a little bit of time and money spent on it

Great course greens need sorting bunkers bieng done views very good tee boxes need sorting but had a really good day staff had it off to a tee well done cheers would play again need some rain

Not great

Poor condition course from tee to green.
Not maintained very well.
Greens are very poor.
Wouldn't play again

Great round

I just started to play this course and have found it great value for money.
The holes aren’t as easy as they first look with some tricky pin placement.
Greens and fairways in great condition tees could do with a bit of work but for a well used corse the green keepers keep the course in great condition.
I would recommend a visit.

Course needs attention

The tees were overgrown and the Fairways needs moving particularly just off fairway far too many places wheee deep rough meets fairway.
The greens need watering they were very slow
You need to learn the layout otherwise even straight drives can result lost ball as the course is very undulating and because you don’t have a first cut and second cut just off fairway you end up in deep rough and potentially losing your ball

Regent park

Good municipal course. Staff very helpful and friendly. Good facilities on site. Tee boxes etc in great condition for time of the year. Bunkers are grassy in stages and the back nine is in a better condition than the front nine. Found it a testing round of golf and killed my scorecard on the6th/7th and 8th holes even though I wasnt striking bad but lost a couple of balls as Fairways aren’t really there as it’s more like semi rough and rough is relentless (good luck finding the ball) but the course layout is very good and has a good couple of par 5s with plenty of features like water hazards and boundary markers. Overall a good course. Worth a play to test yourself but will also test your patience looking for balls you feel you shouldn’t have lost.

Bolton, Bolton