1.9

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Delta, Mastercard, Maestro, Switch
Metal Spikes Allowed Yes

Clubhouse

Extremely poor greens

This was our first visit to Shirland and will be our last. We went to celebrate my husbands birthday and the putting greens were an absolute joke.... We had to putt over mounds of high raise sand and I have never paid or played anywhere so bad. It was a complete waste of money and a very disappointing birthday present for my husband.

What a mess!!

Played shirland a few years back, wasn’t too bad but doesn’t drain well in the winter so always avoided. I have to say for £14 a round with these greens is crazy, it should be £5 a round. The greens are absolutely awful, never seen greens like this in 30 years of playing golf. Massive bare patches, grass seed all over the place, it’s like putting on pebbles it’s that bad, totally unplayable. What didn’t help was that the green keepers followed me and my dad around nearly the whole round, even cutting around the green when we was putting out It totally spoiled our round. At the moment I would avoid this course like the COVID 19 and go to another course or stay at home!! There’s a lot better value else where. Sorry shirland but this is shocking.

Poor greens, narrow fairways and long rough

A rather uninspiring round at a course which has some potential of being half decent. As others have said, the greens are practically unplayable at the moment with lots of bare patches, sand and grass seed. Any balls that don’t make it into to the narrow fairways sink in to the long rough, leaving you digging out each time, that’s if you can actually find your ball. A very municipal course feel with holes very compacted together. Clubhouse and pro shop is like a building site at the moment so I can only hope that this course will have some decent investment in the future. Until then I sadly won’t be returning.

Never Again!

This is the second time I had been to Shirland GC. The first time I was not impressed with course as i felt it was not looked after. However, I was persuaded by a friend to give it another go. OH MY GOD! it was even worse. We arrived and there was no mention of how bad the course was especially the greens. When we got on to the first green it was full of grass seed which made it almost impossible to putt as the ball would just bobble. We carried on to the second hole expecting better but this continued throughout the whole course. Never in my life have seen something so bad. I have played golf in The Gambia where the greens are made of mud and they were genuinely better than the greens at this course. I wouldn't mind but the golf pro did not even mention this to us when we arrived which made it even more frustrating. on top of this one of the groundskeepers had no consideration while i was trying to play a shot he was going round with a leaf blower right next to me. In the end we did not even finish our round of golf.

Terrible Greens/Browns

Played 0700 this morning. No club staff present to book in or collect a scorecard.

Course layout is excellent but ruined by the most atrocious greens I’ve ever played on. Having spoke to a green keeper, the spring sun has burnt them all off and they plan on re-seeding them soon. The bounce playing in to them was poor and trying to putt, well.

Good Tight Course

Very good location considering the lockdown. Great value for money at £14 for a weekday round. The course demands accurate hitting from the tee. Recommended for a great value round.

I will not be returning to play again, Avoid this course.

Do not play here if you want a fun and enjoyable round. I play courses in the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire area and I have always played at Shirland a couple of times a year since i can remember. sadly, i have to say i wont be returning to play again as its the worst i have ever seen a golf course look and play. i was really upset with how unkept and neglected the whole course is and with that I'm surprised its still open! The entrance into the carpark on ‘pot hole lane’ is still bad im surprised my car wasn't damaged! The tees are an awful sight with divots not been repaired, the grass on the fairways and rough are too long, the bunkers are the only thing that look like they've had work done to the but its a shame theres little to no sand in them so its like playing off of concrete, and the greens were rock hard with no grass on them! They are all in shocking condition it looks like they've been left to die. Ive always enjoyed playing this tricky course so its a sad sight to see it be in such bad state, but i would rather play on a minefield! My next courses to play will be Alfreton, Chesterfield, and Coxmoor.

Shirland

Great course design, the fairways and tee boxes were in good shape however the greens were very poor.

Avoid at all costs - terrible greens !!

The greens obviously have some form of disease or are currently suffering from severe sun burn !!

Stay away from this course in its current state - as it can only be described as awful !!

There was no mention of the state of the greens (which are currently unplayable) pre or post check-in, nor was there any mention as a matter of courtesy as we checked in (which would have been a start) !!

Despite the state of the greens - we were still charged the full £17 green fee (which is at the top end for this course at any time of the year).

Even though the green fee was only £17 - we left feeling well and truly robbed. There are many other courses close to this (distance wise) that are much better value for money right now.

You would be better off trying to put on cobbled streets than trying to roll one in on these greens.

Very disappointing - 2/10.

Great course let down by greens

Course is really nice, a good challenge. Great views and scenery with a good variety of holes. Played today and after weeks of dry weather it really showed, greens looked like they hadn’t been watered so were bone dry and rock hard which meant putting was nearly impossible, let down an otherwise lovely course. Will definitely be back to give it another go, hopefully with the greens being green rather than brown!

When is a green not a green

Hmmm, I have a friend with alopecia and when I look at her, her head reminds me of these greens. And her husband is an alcoholic so not a happy home life.

Mr. C. Queen

Mixed bag

This course is a lovely hidden gem every hole has its own challengers and is really well set out, well done to the club.

Getting better.

Having played this course for more years than I care to remember and use to be a member many years ago I can see many improvements happening all the time. The greens used to be really bad but know I see a big improvement and a lot of works gone into them, this is very important as strokes can be gained or lost here. All in all the course is going from strength to strength and fairly priced.

Paul

Lovely course, surprisingly fast greens, great day.

Winter greens

Having played here before and enjoyed the layout though have another go but only to find teeing off mats but not a major issue but the temporary greens where literally the worst I have ever come across I have played on better fields ,this basically ruined a good afternoons golf on a otherwise quality course

Alfreton, Amber Valley