Slaley Hall Hotel & Golf - Priestman Course

White 72 6597 yards
Yellow 72 6271 yards
Red (W) 72 5755 yards
Scorecard for Priestman
Red W: 74.1/125 381 353 164 511 169 371 407 488 378 3222 536 149 408 399 394 164 474 436 415 3375 6597
White M: 73.1/123 381 353 164 511 169 371 407 488 378 3222 536 149 408 399 394 164 474 436 415 3375 6597

Year Built 1999
Golf Season Seasonal
Architect Neil Coles (1999)

Excellent golf course

Fairways good greens excellent enjoyed every moment

Slaley hall first time

Great set up, friendly staff and a very enjoyable course in super condition.

Priestman Course

Course still in good condition for time of year with greens especially pleasing. Fantastic value at only £12 and perfect option for a round of winter golf.

Great day out

Course was in superb condition,Greens fast and true.Overall great day out highly recommended.

Nice course with nice views of Northumberland. Unfortunately the greens have been micro tighted,so some greens were a bit bobberly.Dont not soil the round .The greens played ok.The best hole on the course is the par 5 4th,second shot over water if you hit a good tee shot,which I did & got a 2 putt birdie.Will come back.

Disappointing greens

The greens are in a state of repair which is acceptable but the amount of sand made it very difficult to putt consistently.

Slaley weekend

2 fab courses, hunting a lot harder and long when the wind blows, my

Only concern is £35 for a buggy no wonder most of them are parked up

But recommend the courses

Improving

After booking my deal through golfnow I read some of the reviews about the state of the greens and was worried this would be a wasted trip.

While they are nowhere near the high quality we have experienced in 2015 and 2016, they appear to be improving compared to some of the reviews earlier in the year.

They are now no-where near unplayable and play ok, though some still look pretty bad in places. The ball runs fine in most cases and hopefully more good weather and maintenance will help them return to what they were.

Overall course was enjoyable to play and despite very warm conditions the pace of play wasn't too bad, 4 hours, though I think had we been behind some of the 3-4 balls out earlier it would have been nearer 5 hours, which isn't great.

It's a course we enjoy playing every year or so and I hope next time the greens have recovered fully and will look like what they once were.

Priestman course

The Priestman course is a good challenge. Sadly at the moment I would avoid it & if you do visit Slaley, play the Hunter, as the Pristman greens are diseased & virtually unplayable.

We had a Hot deal for £17, which on the face of it was good. However we were not made aware of the condition of the greens prior to, or on arrival. In fact we had a chat with the starter as we arrived early & even then were not told of the condition of the greens. This made the £17 each not very good value.

The disease on the greens is pretty substantial & means you cannot really putt on them.

It's a shame, as we played the Priestman last year & had a great time.

Shocking Greens

Have played at Slaley Hall on a number of occasions. The Huntsman and the Priestman course. I’ve always enjoyed playing at Slaley. When we set out the Priestman course looked in great condition until we got the the first green. I was mortified. The greens are full of deep holes. It was like putting over craters. I had to apologise to my playing partner as I’d booked the round. The bit I didn’t get was the rest of the course was in great condition. The greens were absolutely shocking. We can’t go back again after that. Very very disappointed

The course has great features and sits in beautiful countryside

Well laid our course in great countryside with some terrific views however the visit was not without its problems/issues regardless of the great price paid !

1.The welcome was a little brusque and the checking of our documentation wasn't particularly pleasant

2.The course obviously has a real problem with disease on a fair few of the greens which were without doubt the worst I have tried to play on in the last 10 years to the point that putting was a disappointing experience overall

3.The costs in the bar and pro shop are toppy in my view but i guess that's subjective

Overall a pleasant day out round a good golf course it just doesn't feel as well loved as it should

and has a greens problem which needs addressing

Greens poor

The scenery, fairways and weather was spectacular, pity the standard of the greens was so poor. They had obviously had a very poor time over the winter givning them patches of diease. Apart from that the course is great, but I cannot say I would hurry back due to the greens.

Great Day

We were a party of 4 and had a really nice round at Slaley , greens need another month , they have sand patches all over them. But the rest of the course is perfect and the place is so well run you are never rushed or held up , we will be back soon. Its the only course i know where you don't get the frustration of holds ups it just runs smoothly all day...

Was disappointed with the state of the greens but on the whole course was in good condition. We started off ok but after 4 holes began to get held up due to a 2 ball 3 t times ahead of us that were obviously worse for wear with drink. With no marshalls on course they just shrugged shoulders when the group ahead of us caught them up & asked them to push on. I appreciate resorts like this get busy & for that reason I'd expect staff to drive round from time to time to get on top off slow play. It ended up being a 4.5 hr round for 2 of us.

Nice course, condition dreadful.

We played this course in the middle of the Christmas holidays so we expected winter golf. However, the course was not playable. It should of been closed due to weather conditions. The ground was frozen rock solid. I’m surprised our clubs weren’t damaged. If it wasn’t pre paid and we hadn’t travelled for more than an hour we would not of went out. It was farcical. We could not even get our tees in the tee box without using our irons as a hammer. If you attacked the green your ball would often bounce more than 30ft in the air and end up 40ft off the back and a lost ball. So 0 stars for the course management not declaring it closed first thing and preventing people from wasting money and time.

The course itself is well laid out with some fantastic holes. It is a course I try to play as often as possible. However I can’t see any rush in trying to get back up when the weather improves until they sort out the condition of the greens. Once thawed, they will still be farcical. There were large amounts of rot on every green. Numerous 2-3 inch patches of rot all over every green. The official explanation was it has just recently happened after contamination from snow. Does not really make sense when you see how much damage has been done.

So all in all, a great course which has become virtually unplayable. And that’s before you take on the fact they let us play on it while harder than concrete.

Very nice course, well layed out.. played in the summer and the greens were fantastic, they are now poor, with huge hollow tine holes in them.. very hard to put... played the hunting the week befor and it was the same.. would still recommend the course tho as it was perfect apart from the greens...

Good course

Me and my friend played here on saturday, 1st 3 holes went great then caught up to a group in front as we had a buggy, they allowed us through then caught up to a 3 ball with 4 people and were not allowed through so had to wait on 14 holes behind them!!! This is what spoils golf for me when its a 5-6min wait on every tee box, they were leaving the green before we played towards the green and by time we had finished hole they were still on the tee box talking!! And had not even hit a ball so safe to say we were annoyed and only just got the 18 holes in and the greens were in poor condition pitch marks all over and very patchy, this course was nice when i last played but say the huntsman is better but never plated it for a good few months

Great course greens were poor

Great looking course with interesting and rewarding holes. Only negative point about the course, greens were rather poor but for 15 pounds can't moan to much. Only real complaint was the fact that we booked for a two ball and ended up getting forced out with another 2 players we didn't know, luckily they were nice people or could have really ruined the day for us!!

Stocksfield, Northumberland