Style Parkland
Slaley Hall Hotel & Golf - Hunting Course

Year Built 1988
Golf Season Seasonal
Architect Dave Thomas (1988)

It's had been over 16 years since my last visit to slayley hall and the hunting course, the course was exactly as I remembered it.
The area had suffered with rain on the lead up to my visit, this was seen in every bunker as sand had been washed away revealing stones and imo the bunkers should all have been gur.
The green keeper were hard at work hollow Tyning the greens but as the greens were wet this left terrible tyre marks across most greens, a nightmare to put across but work that must be done.
The pace of play was really slow for the first 13 holes as we were stuck behind a Five ball that made us wait on every shot, once we went through the pace was great.
Food, we're to start, we ordered two bacon and coffees prior to the round however the barman took for 1 bacon and didn't tell us until half an hour later when one sandwich arrived, then very apologetic he offered to get another but we couldn't wait another half hour as we were due to tee off.
The half way house had not had a delivery of food and the coffee machine was broken
It sounds so negative but I really like the course and have played many q hotel courses this isn't what I have had at others locations and not what I remember of the old de'vere days.
I will go back and hopefully all will be good

Good condition

A solid championship course. Generally wide off the tee. most of then front nine are raised greens.. a couple of tricky short par 4’s. Large Greens.

Excellent corse is beautiful surroundings

I was greeted by David at the start who explained the course to me, he was extremely friendly and very knowledgeable of the course. I teed off at 11am and I was loving the pace of play until I got to the 6th tee. Unfortunately, there was a large group of 12 playing as 3 separate foursomes and a threesome in front of them that started to slow everything down. I didn’t mind too much as I was staying at the hotel on the night but if I had of just been having a round then heading back home it would of made the game not so enjoyable. Fortunately the surroundings were lovely so we just took in the beauty. The course itself was in great condition and the greens were true. Overall a great day out and excellent value as if you just turn up and pay on the day, it’ll set you back £50

Impressive course

Well worth a visit, pace of play was a bit slow, could do with some rangers on the course. The layout is very impressive, not one average hole all enjoyable to play, hopefully have time to return soon, highly recommended.

A good test of golf

I enjoyed a round on the hunting course whilst staying at the hotel with my wife.
Very friendly & helpful staff greeted me on my arrival. The range, chipping area & putting green were all in good condition. The starter was both welcoming & a good representative for the course.
On a sunny & breezy day the course played well, good consistent greens, plenty of challenging driving holes & well maintained too.The course has been well designed & those fairway bunkers are well placed around the 200 yard mark to catch any stray drives. A pleasure to play & I would definitely recommend to anyone to try out this course.

Absolute Disgrace

The course should have been closed!!
Totally frozen couldn’t keep the ball on the green and no chance of putting the ball it was a total joke. Both myself and playing partner fell over on the internal course paths, back and wrist injuries sustained seriously considering legal action against the club. The club seems to be more interested in making money than the safety of its paying customers. I’ve Recently moved to the area and was considering joining but not anymore, I feel sorry for members as the damage done to the course by letting people play under these conditions will have a detrimental effect on the state of the course.

Ah the peace and quiet!

Playing a course like this, that is so far from the madding crowd is positively inspiring!
No traffic noise, no industries, just you, the course and the wildlife. To make it even better, I think that I was the only one out there on the course!
In pretty decent nick considering we are well into November, tidy greens fairways and bunkers. A good test with a number of tricky holes. Highly recommended.
Catering in the hotel is a bit steep though, £3.50 for a small cappuccino and £7 for a bacon sandwich...... ouch!

Excellent Day!

This was a yearly competition between friends, from the moment we stepped onto the first tee and greeted by the starter we knew it was going to be special.

He gave us some advice, it's all about course management, not big hitters, although that sometimes works.

The fairways are better than some of the greens I've played on. Truly is a great course!

Some stunning golf hes

The hunting course has some wonderful holes- the front nine in particular. The course was very quiet indeed the day I played. It was not bad value for money- though it seems to always be more expensive purchasing directly from the pro shop.

Very wet, poor greens.

2nd time I have played this year. For a championship course, the course continues to be a let down. There is a fundamental problem with the greens and they continue to be patchy and bobbly. The fairways are wet, long and muddy. The rough is boggy and unkept. The tee boxes are not level on numerous holes. The only redeeming element was the cheap price through tee off times and the course layout. The course as a whole needs some real love and attention.

Stocksfield, Northumberland