Sonning Golf Club

White 70 6329 yards
Yellow 70 5991 yards
Red (W) 72 5472 yards
Scorecard for Sonning Golf Club
White M: 69.7/119 404 160 460 273 471 482 267 325 181 3023 406 391 410 453 399 160 438 174 475 3306 6329
Yellow M: 68.2/115 395 150 446 253 437 460 251 307 144 2843 385 381 366 439 381 144 435 152 465 3148 5991
Red W: 67.1/113 355 139 401 227 410 372 244 294 114 2556 365 366 342 421 343 115 426 128 410 2916 5472

Year Built 1914
Architect H. S. Colt (1914) Fred G. Hawtree (1914) Martin Hawtree (2010) John Henry Taylor (1914)

A very nice afternoon

The welcome at Sonning was a tad frosty. The classic when they ask you to prove your teeofftimes booking, and then not even looking at your phone when you have punched up the information. A smile might have cracked his face.

The course is in great condition, with the fairways clearly watered through this very hot Summer. The greens are also in great nick, but the members are very bad at repairing pitch marks. I did my usual repair mine and one other.

All in all, great value on a hot deal and as it is very local, one of my favourite courses.

They just need to improve on the welcome for visitors.

Club member spoilt the day

Very good course, steeped in tradition and rightly so. My round was only spoilt by a 4 ball that wouldn't let our 2 ball play through. We were behind them from hole 6 all the way to 1i. We ran ahead ans8asked to play through at the 13th but their response was they'd let other groups play on and wouldn't let us. Frankly, it was racist but without proof....we let it slide. When we reached the 17th hole, they'd skipped this hole and moved to the 18th. I guess they didn't want to be seen approaching the club house with this situation pertaining. Spoilt a really good day for me. I hope to return without such sportsmanship around as this course was made for true golfers. Hole 4 is memorable....short par 4 that we all reached in 1. Couple of holes are like this. Hole 17 is very deceptive. All the greens are hard to read in terms of slope. If your putting is off, it will be a long walk all day. Beautiful course, can't fault it at all, but alas, some gain membership but don't live up to the standards and attitude that the quality of this course deserves, especially of members.

Very good all round

Sonning is one of if not the best kept course in my area. It has been protected over the bad weather period we had in March & April which shows.

It is always a pleasure playing Sonning.

Stunning course in great condition, but......

Having played here a few times now and knowing how great the course is we didnt mind a 50 minute drive to get to Sonning. However, on arrival we were informed that all 18 greens were on temps. Having booked 48 hours in advance i dont think it would be too much to ask that we be informed of this on the morning of the booking. If the weather had been particularly harsh we would have called ahead, but it was a stunning day.

Having said that, the course was in amazing condition, (especially the greens unsurprisingly) and we had a decent round. £30 for 18 temps is not vfm tho.

Club house was excellent, will be back, just in the summer i guess!

Sonning's delightful gem

What a beautiful golf course to have the pleasure to play. Even though we were on temporary greens due to the frost I would highly recommend this course. The view up the 18th to the green with the huge clubhouse behind is simply stunning.

A great test for all players, and everyone will enjoy it.

Winter greens...

We played as visitors and was out first time at the course. We arrived to find that all the regular greens had been taken out of play due to frost. This was very disappointing as it really wasn’t very bad and when we were out on the course we tested the greens and you could easily put a tee in them. Despite this we enjoyed our round but won’t take any more chances over the winter. Will return in warmer weather as the course layout is nice and the greens look as though they will play nicely.

Real bargain for the price

The course was in great condition considering the rain recently and the greens recently being spiked. This was a good layout, the only issue being that without knowing the course, a lot of the tee shots which are semi blind are difficult to know where to aim, although any hazards are visible clearly. Overall, for the price it is well worth it, good practice facilities so may be looking at joining as a member next year.

Score 77, hcap 7

Lovely course

We arrived early and checked in with the pro shop. The staff were very welcoming of us. And processing our booking they look at what was happening that day on the course, juggled our start time and we started on the 12th. This was a great bit of service to make sure we enjoyed our round and didn't get stuck behind a competition that was happening on this day.

The course is lovely, greens fairways and tees all very well looked after.

50 minute drive from Surrey, well worth it

got a hot deal through teeofftimes.co.uk and what a deal it was. I drove 50 mins. to get here and it was worth it. The course was in perfect condition, great fairways and nice greens. This is one of the best courses around.

Excellent track with great facilities

One of my favourite courses. Just wish I lived closer as I would love to be a member here. We played on a Friday at 1402 for £20 each. On the first tee we were behind a 4 ball and they let us off ahead of them from there we got through another 2 ball on the 2nd and from there we were clear all the way through. Some fantastically tricky holes, drivable par 4s and easy par 3s. Lots of variety and the course is always in excellent condition.

Great course in fabulous condition

Drove 50 minutes to play this course, and very glad I made the effort. Beautifully presented, with no two holes feeling the same. Was very busy, with waits on nearly all the tee boxes. Surprisingly tho we managed to get round in under 4 hours. Will definitely play again.

Lovely course but club experience coarse

A lovely sunny day, a course my daughter had treated us both to a round for my birthday.

On turning up pro very helpful and friendly, however noisy men's competition players drinking on terrace.

On returning near club house on 11th could hear shouting and swearing over 200yeards away. At club house my daughter did not want to go to get a drink due to swearing and men drunk.

On finishing on 18th, even worse, 30 men on putting green swearing and shouting in front of club house. She was upset by one individual who was shouting and swearing at the top of his voice. A line small clubhouse lady tried to quieten the noise to no availal.

We wanted a drink together after our game but had to leave.

Great Course in Great Condition

The course was in great condition and a pleasure to play on. Very friendly staff and good pro shop. Would highly recommend.

Most enjoyable game of golf i have had for a long time

Staff very friendly members let us play through

and were most helpful

Fantastic

Course was in superb condition.

Green ran true at a good speed, fairways were magnificent and we had a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Lovely Course

All I can say to anyone thinking about playing Sonning is to take the opportunity, especially if you can get a good deal on one of the tee time sites. There are 18 lovely holes of parkland golf to be enjoyed, with tees, fairways and greens that were all in very good condition. The fairways are generally pretty wide, with a lot of the holes/greens largely protected by a number of bunkers and subtle breaks.

I played it on a day when the ground was dry, which certainly helped reach a number of the longer par 4's. There are four par 4's longer than 435 yards from the yellows. To balance that there are only a couple of par 5's, neither of which is especially long.

The welcome at the proshop was very friendly, as were the staff working behind the bar.

Sonning Golf Club clearly see's itself as 'step above' the average course in the area. To the extent that it has a keypad locked gate on the visitors car park stopping you from even going to pro shop without the code. However they were also reasonably friendly and accommodating to us.

The course is (as you would expect) almost perfectly maintained with fabulous greens and quality throughout. The lack of proper signage for the holes makes things a bit tricky for first timer but everything is placed in a logical location and there's only one tee that requires more than 20 second walk from the previous Green.

There aren't any water features and the ground is pretty level, so the variety of the course suffers a little but they've done their best to keep it interesting. The par 4s vary in length considerably, from those that could easily be par 5s to those that you could drive the green with a 3 wood. But overall the course is neither short nor long.

We paid £32 each for a Sunday tee time - which was just about reasonable value. However the normal headline price of £60 would have been well over the top.

I'm not sure if we'll come back again any time soon as there was nothing about the course that 'grabbed' us enough to pay the extra £10 that we would usually, but maybe it could be one for the winter when we're struggling to find properly maintained courses.

Top Quality Course

Fast quality greens.

Some tough/long par fours with a sprinkling of shorter holes that are easy unless your drive is offline (stating the obvious) but hit the green in the wrong part you will have no problem 3 putting.

Fairways were all perfect

Highly recommend this course.

Great and have 2 play

Love this course anyone who love golf will love it and in the summer it's even better

Reading, Wokingham