Style Parkland
Sonning Golf Club

Year Built 1914
Architect H. S. Colt (1914) Fred G. Hawtree (1914) Martin Hawtree (2010) John Henry Taylor (1914)

Pretty parkland course and very well kept.

Pretty parkland course and very well kept. Generous fairways and excellent greens.
Very friendly and welcoming staff and members. Great food and range of drinks.

Perfect

On being greeted by Pro-shop everything could not have been better, a really warm welcome to Sonning Golf Club,he explained the dress code and the locker room code entry system. and even showed us to the 1st hole..
Well the course was in fantastic condition some of the best fairways and Greens I've ever played on. the course design was excellent and all slightly different, a nice gentle walk with hardly any slopes to get you out of breath. although on a couple of holes we were glad that we were following a group in front fairly closely. All in all an excellent game of golf will defiantly be going back,

Very Good Course

Played this course a few times and you can get some good deals with both booking directly with the club and also other golf web sites especially in the week days.
We did have a slight problem of not being told that hedgehog wheels were needed before you can play which was annoying as the web site we booked it through did not tell us and also the clubs web site did not say anything.Thankfully all resolved as they let us use there pull trolleys that have the wheels at no extra cost.
The course has no water features which is a shame but the layout of the course is very good.
The course was in a fairly good condition for this time of the year some holes better that others but the greens were not great very uneven and the ball did not run to a true line.Very bumpy greens.
All in all a very enjoyable day and we will be back for another round.

Great Track

Played here a few times now. Love the layout and course condition is very good for the time of year. Staff are always friendly and helpful.

A very nice afternoon

The welcome at Sonning was a tad frosty. The classic when they ask you to prove your teeofftimes booking, and then not even looking at your phone when you have punched up the information. A smile might have cracked his face.

The course is in great condition, with the fairways clearly watered through this very hot Summer. The greens are also in great nick, but the members are very bad at repairing pitch marks. I did my usual repair mine and one other.

All in all, great value on a hot deal and as it is very local, one of my favourite courses.

They just need to improve on the welcome for visitors.

Club member spoilt the day

Very good course, steeped in tradition and rightly so. My round was only spoilt by a 4 ball that wouldn't let our 2 ball play through. We were behind them from hole 6 all the way to 1i. We ran ahead ans8asked to play through at the 13th but their response was they'd let other groups play on and wouldn't let us. Frankly, it was racist but without proof....we let it slide. When we reached the 17th hole, they'd skipped this hole and moved to the 18th. I guess they didn't want to be seen approaching the club house with this situation pertaining. Spoilt a really good day for me. I hope to return without such sportsmanship around as this course was made for true golfers. Hole 4 is memorable....short par 4 that we all reached in 1. Couple of holes are like this. Hole 17 is very deceptive. All the greens are hard to read in terms of slope. If your putting is off, it will be a long walk all day. Beautiful course, can't fault it at all, but alas, some gain membership but don't live up to the standards and attitude that the quality of this course deserves, especially of members.

Very good all round

Sonning is one of if not the best kept course in my area. It has been protected over the bad weather period we had in March & April which shows.
It is always a pleasure playing Sonning.

Stunning course in great condition, but......

Having played here a few times now and knowing how great the course is we didnt mind a 50 minute drive to get to Sonning. However, on arrival we were informed that all 18 greens were on temps. Having booked 48 hours in advance i dont think it would be too much to ask that we be informed of this on the morning of the booking. If the weather had been particularly harsh we would have called ahead, but it was a stunning day.

Having said that, the course was in amazing condition, (especially the greens unsurprisingly) and we had a decent round. £30 for 18 temps is not vfm tho.

Club house was excellent, will be back, just in the summer i guess!

Sonning's delightful gem

What a beautiful golf course to have the pleasure to play. Even though we were on temporary greens due to the frost I would highly recommend this course. The view up the 18th to the green with the huge clubhouse behind is simply stunning.
A great test for all players, and everyone will enjoy it.

Winter greens...

We played as visitors and was out first time at the course. We arrived to find that all the regular greens had been taken out of play due to frost. This was very disappointing as it really wasn’t very bad and when we were out on the course we tested the greens and you could easily put a tee in them. Despite this we enjoyed our round but won’t take any more chances over the winter. Will return in warmer weather as the course layout is nice and the greens look as though they will play nicely.

Real bargain for the price

The course was in great condition considering the rain recently and the greens recently being spiked. This was a good layout, the only issue being that without knowing the course, a lot of the tee shots which are semi blind are difficult to know where to aim, although any hazards are visible clearly. Overall, for the price it is well worth it, good practice facilities so may be looking at joining as a member next year.

Score 77, hcap 7

Lovely course

We arrived early and checked in with the pro shop. The staff were very welcoming of us. And processing our booking they look at what was happening that day on the course, juggled our start time and we started on the 12th. This was a great bit of service to make sure we enjoyed our round and didn't get stuck behind a competition that was happening on this day.

The course is lovely, greens fairways and tees all very well looked after.

50 minute drive from Surrey, well worth it

got a hot deal through teeofftimes.co.uk and what a deal it was. I drove 50 mins. to get here and it was worth it. The course was in perfect condition, great fairways and nice greens. This is one of the best courses around.

Excellent track with great facilities

One of my favourite courses. Just wish I lived closer as I would love to be a member here. We played on a Friday at 1402 for £20 each. On the first tee we were behind a 4 ball and they let us off ahead of them from there we got through another 2 ball on the 2nd and from there we were clear all the way through. Some fantastically tricky holes, drivable par 4s and easy par 3s. Lots of variety and the course is always in excellent condition.

Great course in fabulous condition

Drove 50 minutes to play this course, and very glad I made the effort. Beautifully presented, with no two holes feeling the same. Was very busy, with waits on nearly all the tee boxes. Surprisingly tho we managed to get round in under 4 hours. Will definitely play again.

Lovely course but club experience coarse

A lovely sunny day, a course my daughter had treated us both to a round for my birthday.

On turning up pro very helpful and friendly, however noisy men's competition players drinking on terrace.

On returning near club house on 11th could hear shouting and swearing over 200yeards away. At club house my daughter did not want to go to get a drink due to swearing and men drunk.

On finishing on 18th, even worse, 30 men on putting green swearing and shouting in front of club house. She was upset by one individual who was shouting and swearing at the top of his voice. A line small clubhouse lady tried to quieten the noise to no availal.

We wanted a drink together after our game but had to leave.

Great Course in Great Condition

The course was in great condition and a pleasure to play on. Very friendly staff and good pro shop. Would highly recommend.

Most enjoyable game of golf i have had for a long time
Staff very friendly members let us play through
and were most helpful

Fantastic

Course was in superb condition.
Green ran true at a good speed, fairways were magnificent and we had a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Emmer Green, Reading