Style Parkland
South Moor Golf Club

Year Built 1923
Architect Alister MacKenzie (1925)

Metal Spikes Allowed Yes

Great layout and excellent value for money

Interesting layout with lots of variety. Plenty of short but challenging par 4’s and the short par 5 16th requires accuracy. Overall great course, good pace of play and excellent value for money. Also has a really well stocked pro shop for anyone needing any equipment or clothing. I would definitely play here again.

Great course but could easily be better !

Played for 1st time today and i must say the course is excellent and very challenging with most holes around hilly areas.
It was very windy which affected play quite a-bit but this didn't stop us having a great round. Highly recommended course and great value for money.. However !! What this course is lacking is signage/markers and tee direction, without a couple in front of us to follow we would have struggled to find the next tee box each time, no indication whatsoever.
Id strongly advise the course to correct this as its very difficult for 1st time players. Also unlike other courses there are very few litter bins, no ball wash facilities or drinking water, and no air jets to clean trolley/shoes after your round.. Its a shame really as the course is great. Course 9/10. Facilities 0/10.

Little Gem that is worth a visit

I thoroughly enjoyed my round at South Moor. I was looking for somewhere new to play and just picked the course at random. What a good choice I made:

Teeing off at 11:30 the course was quiet, when I did eventually catch a members four ball they let me play through immediately and we’re really nice, even when I duffed my tee shot right in front of them :(

The course was in really good condition, the greens were quite hard and it was difficult to get the ball to stop occasionally, but I’m not going to let that be a negative, it just requires a different style of play. The course is compact, but you’re not falling over other people, it is built of a hill though so shots on approximately half the holes run with the slope, some significantly.

The clubhouse was fantastic, the staff friendly and I really enjoyed my round. The only things I would do to improve the course are:
- 100 yard markers / stakes
- Notices to tell people on the tees when they should wait for a bell
- A course / yardage book. Not only for info but also as a souvenir of playing the course and it’s interesting history
- A sign behind the pro shop telling you that isn’t the main car park!

I’ll definitely be back to South Moor

great course

very nice lay out, hilly. greens reading good for time of year. just wished i played better, felt i wasted a good walk. would go back.

Superb course, very well maintained. Played in the pouring rain and wind but still enjoyed every hole. The 16th is a test for anyone, I would recommend giving it a go.

Southmoor gc

Good layout not too hilly in good condition we all enjoyed the round & will play again only grumble easy to play holes in wrong order so pay attention to tee markers

South Moor

Course in great condition as ever, greens quick and true - a consistently good performing course

Really interesting course

Great course with some really interesting holes.Fairways and greens in great condition. Friendly staff in shop.
Only drawback was took 4 and half hours due to a charity event.
Had to wait at every hole but members were really helpful in talking us though the holes and where to play.
Definitely play again.

Little Things

A tough course that isn't very visitor friendly. We weren't made to welcome in the pro-shop, no card machine - cash only, they don't have any course guides (and on quite a number of holes it would be useful), there are no directions to the next tee boxes, including having to walk across a car park to the 8th, blind holes with no marker poles, and the general maintenance of the course around the tee boxes and greens could use some work.

It wouldn't take a lot to seriously improve the experience for players visiting for the first time.

Will play again

I was the first on the course quite early on weather was poor with drizzle course was in great condition and because of the rain greens slow. 2 par 3s in the first few holes was interesting. As the course opened up into gentle hilly gorse laden fairways it started to get interesting a lot of thought went into the course design and it got tougher hole by hole thoroughly enjoyable round despite the weather. Well equipped pro shop with fantastic deals and very friendly

Great condition

South Moor is a lovely golf course, challenging but rewarding and is in great condition considering recent weather the club pro Shaun was very friendly and helpful and the pro shop is excellent I could and probably will spend a fortune there.
All in all a great day I highly recommend.

Southmoor first round

Found this a friendly course, once found nicely presented slight confusion finding the next tee especially 7th would definitely play there again .

Probably the hardest course I've ever played in 30 years of playing golf.
Trees, Rough, gorse, this place has it all.
I played particularly badly, but still really enjoyed the experience.
I'd love to play it again, this time with a little less wind and with me playing a lot better.
Best advice I can give is: Be Straight, play percentages and you will return a good score

Poor Greens

Great lay out but the greens let it down, shocking for the time of year. Glad I'd getting a deal wouldn't of been happy paying full price.
But staff dead friendly, pro helpful & a well stocked pro shop.

great value-great course -friendly members and staff

first time at course -first few holes were a bit wet (due to amount of rain) but improved especially on the higher ground -plenty of trees -average golfer will enjoy it as the greens are in range with your second shot -def going back through teeofftimes! as we saved around 50%

Okay course

Okay course but very difficult underfoot. The fairways were very boggy due recent rain.

Stanley, Durham
Houghton-le-Spring, City of Sunderland
Chopwell, Gateshead
Washington, City of Sunderland

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.