Keney Park Golf Club

Green (W) 70 4712 yards 66.9 113
Scorecard for Keney
Gold M: 70.6/127 332 509 160 383 428 152 455 407 457 3283 533 237 323 188 513 409 397 369 197 3166 6449
Blue M: 68.6/124 314 491 136 369 406 127 406 380 417 3046 506 204 301 167 500 393 383 359 187 3000 6046
White M: 66.5/121 W: 72.0/124 297 480 121 349 373 115 363 344 380 2822 475 184 295 144 467 380 350 349 163 2807 5629
Green M: 63.0/109 W: 66.9/113 286 423 100 261 267 93 324 304 333 2391 444 127 242 135 405 329 236 267 136 2321 4712

Year Built 1927
Architect Devereux Emmet (1927) Dusenberry Design (2016) Robert J. Ross (1931)

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard Accepted

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in New England (2016 #18)

Still Needs to Improve

I hadn't played the course since it was renovated five years ago. It did improve but still has some major issues. The most annoying was that all the pin flags are yellow. There is no other designation to tell you it is front, middle, or back. They have new golf carts but for some questionable reason have no convertible cover on the back to pull down to keep your clubs dry if needed. And lastly, the redesign did not improve the drainage on many of the low spots on the course. The water collected and left a muddy mess on many holes.

The Most Entertaining Greens I've Ever Seen

This is the first time I've ever played a golf course with the classic Macdonald/Raynor replica holes, and I enjoyed every minute of it. The greens are wild, and the speeds are kept down somewhat to compensate, which I was quite okay with. There is strategy and thought required basically everywhere. The course is not exactly hilly, but the holes are filled with little 5-10 foot mounds and bumps that virtually assures you won't have a level stance anywhere. And considering Keney Park is only a few miles from downtown Hartford, there's a wonderful sense of isolation here. You really feel like you're in a forest, far away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I wish the course was playing faster and dryer, but considering all the rain the Northeast has gotten this summer, the occasional puddle and moist bit of ground is completely understandable. It's a great course, and I would definitely play there again, should I ever return to the area.

Issue with online tee time

My foursome attempted to play 9 holes after work on 7/10, and made a tee time a week in advance through Keney Park’s online portal (not a third party). We arrived 20 minutes early, and were told that we wouldn’t be able to play because there were leagues going on both nines. I took out my phone and showed my e-mail confirmation to the kid at the desk, and was told “I don’t know why it let you book that tee time, but there’s nothing I can do. Sorry” There was no attempt to get us out (maybe starting on 4 or 5 in front of the league?), no involvement with management, and no effort to re-book us for a different day. I asked to see a manager, but he had already had moved on to the next person in line and had no interest in helping.

I totally understand that leagues are pre-scheduled and take precedence, but #1, Keney Park’s website allowed us to make the tee time, and #2, there was no effort made to accommodate the customer. Our group left work early, traveled 45 minutes, and were turned away. That is poor customer service, and has cost them customers. You can throw all the money you want into a failing municipal course, but it doesn’t matter if you don’t have the basics worked out like your staff and your website.

Fabulous restoration

Am biased, since I helped out on the project. I'll just say that architect Matt Dusenberry took great pains at brining back a sense of Devereux Emmet's trademark iconoclastic bunkering and the results show off dramatically.

Top-notch - a model for what muni/public golf can and should be

It's deceptively simple. Create (or revive) a fun, walkable, well-kept golf course in a place with a long history of golf, keep prices pretty low, give golfers (and non-golfers) a nice place to eat, and watch the business roll in.

Lo and behold, that's exactly what's happened ever since the City of Hartford reinvested in Keney Park. Now, the course is one of America's best munis, and because it's charging no more than $40 or so for green fees, it's a valuable local amenity and well worth the trip from just about anywhere to play. It's that good, and that successful a project.

Wow oh, wow.

Our Tuesday Worcester group went to keney Park not knowing what to expect and all we can say is wow.

We had never heard of the course before but read an article in Golf week magazine about the redesign. Alll 20 of us loved everything about this course. Very challenging but fun fun fun if you like a challenge this is your golf course. Greens were great . How many times can you hear people telling stories about 3 or 4 putting greens and after the round was over still say they had a great time and can't wait to come back. Pro and staff were great and complemented on how well we were organized. Thanks we appreciate it. We can't wait to come back. Drinks in the attached restaurant/bar we very expensive. Only negative.

A Fun Golf Course To Play

I was fortunate to play Keney Park Golf Course twice during the month of May. The city of Hartford reportedly spent $6 million on the restoration. It has a challenging and interesting layout with many dog legs- both left and right. The greens are in excellent condition albeit running on the slow side, as one might expect from a public course. Same goes for the pace of play. Slow. Weekday greens fees were very reasonable at $58 including a cart. My senior friends paid $11 less for theirs. The course has a premium on keeping the ball in play in order to have a clear shot to the green. There is very little water that comes into play. There are many bunkers, however, that do. The greens are undulating and many have a false front. I would have given it another star if the greens were faster. The clubhouse restaurant was nicely renovated as well and the food was very good. Plenty of beer on tap as well. We played from the blue tees (6046 yards). Next time I want to play it from the gold tees (6449 yards).

Best in State!!!

Played Keney Park (Windsor, CT) over Labor Day weekend. BY FAR the best public/municipal golf course I have ever played (and I have played a lot of them)!!! First the Layout - Superior layout with a Donald Ross feel on the greens. Every hole challenges with difficulty being the ability to avoid sand bunkers , grass mounding and water hazards (streams and brooks). Elevation changes around the greens provide even more difficulty (2-3 tiers and lots of undulation).

Second - Course Conditions are superb. This course was recently renovated in all facets (fairways, greens and tee boxes) and came through incredible!! Plush tees and fairways, Immaculate greens and bunkers. Played round in 4.5 hours and was salivating to play it again! By far the best public course in CT and possibly the best in New England!

New Clubhouse and Restaurant are 4 star with food and beverage.

Renovations are fantastic

It has been about 8 years since I played here last and all I have to say is wow! They have done a fantastic job here! Tee boxes and greens are now some of the best around! The driving range is great and the tavern is awesome. The area just off the 2nd cut is still a little rough but coming along. In 2 more years this will be one of the best publics around. Great job!

All About Restoration

If you want to play a really successful restoration look no farther than the front nine at Keney. The front nine was built first by Emmet and the holes are fun and interesting. Maintenance has been consistent since the restoration and the greens were great. Greens are fairly flat but also true and fast when I played. Yes the holes go back and forth at the end of the front nine and the church pews and road hole bunkering are copies but they fit in well and are true hazards. It was windy when we played and two of our foursome ended up in the road hole bunker on 9 presenting a great challenge. The back nine was in excellent condition but the layout is more modern than classic. The holes that close out this nine are back and forth like the front and finishing with the par 3 18th is really a let down. Still, they have done a great job providing golf for people on what use to be a natural disaster. The restored clubhouse is a treat. The fairway/green of number one is just like Pinehurst #2 and much chaper than $450. it costs to play that tract. Keney is an enjoyable time, not the most challenging or interesting but nothing to denigrate unless your're some private country club snob.

Worth Playing

I had played Keney Park regularly over 20 years ago. Always loved the layout of the course, but the conditions were terrible back then. Over the years, I had heard that conditions only got worse following the management of MDM. Just recently, I had read that they were voted one of the top ten public courses in Connecticut. I could not believe it - I had to see it for myself.

Apparently, they spent over $5M on renovations, including new tee boxes, greens, and several landscaping features. All I can say is, wow! The course was in incredible shape. The greens were very true and putted well. Fairways were in tremendous shape. This course is now a gem - and it is one of the best public courses I have ever played in CT. I will definitely be back again.

Wound not recommend

The pace of play for a wide open course was atrocious. It took us 5 and a half hours to play and we were a twosome. To pay the amount of money we did for this course is obserd. You can play Manchester Country Club for the same money and the course is in much better condition and challenging along with only taking 4 hours on a Sunday. I do not understand how this course was ranked 3rd in our state. I do not even put it in the top 10.

traditional course restored to greatness

I have had the absolute pleasure of playing a truly beautiful old course which has been restored to greatness.Every single tee box and green has been redone.The contours of the fairways have been reshaped to make the course more interesting and more playable.The conditions only keep improving every week.Fairways are nice (still a few patchy spots),the greens are fast and true,and the sand bunkers on the course are very interesting. The clubhouse has been restored and it looks beautiful(restaurant in club house suppose to open in May) .There is also a great driving range at the course. The individuals in the pro shop could not be any nicer or accommodating. This course is a must play if you are a golfer. Great Golf Course!

great redesign

Played today and was very impressed. What a great job on the redesign. I have played a number of times many years ago and it was fun and at the time not in bad shape. the green complexes were incredible, many big undulations make you think and are very fair but challenging. the course had some brown spots mostly off fairways due to the new grass being under stress from terrible recent summer growing conditions from big drought but overall in great shape. plenty of length and the shorter hole were great and did not detract from the round. they were all challenging and fun. i played the tips and had a great day. $55 with cart for non resident but worth every penny, it helped as i played very well so it was a great day and a great course. I plan on going back often.

Not Worth It

Tricked up greens don't make a good golf course.

Major multi year renovation and the best they could do was expand greens and add major undulations.

GPS in carts was off. Watch GPS didn't recognize course. Each member of foursome had at least two shots where ball hit hard pan (just off of fairway) and ricocheted 90 degrees into woods, waste area or water.

Will not be going back.

Matthew3304221
Commented On 09/27/2016

thought the green were great. fair but challenging. approach placement is important on a number of greens to put well.

Short Yet Challenging

I heard about the renovation that had taken place at Keney and the rave reviews about the renovation and had to check it out for myself. First time playing the course, which is very easy to get to and located in a nice park area, and I was pleasantly surprised. While the original clubhouse is still under renovation and is not open, it looks like a very nice and historic brick building. The course itself is not the longest, as there is only one shortish par 5 on the front nine, and some of the par 4s you could hit less than driver, but it is still a real challenge. The undulations in the fairways and especially on the greens make accuracy a priority. Could still use a little bit TLC, although the lack of rain we've had explains some of the conditions, but overall a very fun and interesting course. Would definitely recommend it and will be back to play the full 18.

Challenging but Awesome

I am a double digit handicap and do not pretend to be an excellent golfer which made these 9 holes some of the most challenging I've played. With that being said - I cannot wait to go back and play a full 18. The conditions are incredible - from tee to green. Once the club house opens (it is currently being renovated itself), it has the potential to be a premier public course in New England.

A must play in the greater Hartford region

I just played Keney Park for the first time and cannot say enough great things about the re-design! The bunkering is awesome and the overall visual appeal, significantly exceeded my expectations! This course is not only one of the best Public courses in the Greater Hartford Region...it IS one the THE best courses both Private and Public! I would highly recommend it to any golfer that appreciates classic golf course design!

Really Fun Course

The reno of this course is beautiful with a lot of character, unique shots, and amazing greens. The team at Keney decided not to cut the greens short to start the season so they are still somewhat slow but I am very excited to go back and play in July/August when the greens are cut and firm they will be fun to putt on. The added pew bunker is special, sadly I got a very up close and personal view of it. The sand was ideal, the fairways were in great condition and overall the course looked great. Even where they are now I would consider this a very enjoyable course and I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Fourth time playing and it just gets better.

Another great trip around this gem. Green speeds increasing, fairways improving every week. Great new carts with cool GPS. Excellent range tee and practice putting green. Easy access off I-91. Can't get enough of this. GOLF INC. Magazine's Renovation of the Year tie for first in the US!!

Bloomfield, Connecticut