Type Private/Resort
Style Parkland
The Mere Golf Resort & Spa

Year Built 1934
Architect James Braid (1934)

Golf School Academy Yes - "The Mere Academy"

Dress code Proper attire is required. No denim.

Well worth the money

Play on a Monday morning and the course was pretty quiet.

In great condition for the end of November!

A great layout and overall set up of the club, driving range into the lake was fun!

Don't let the price out you off.

Mere course

Great day from bacon and egg butie,driving range included in price to a few pints after, course in great nick especially after all the weather, some tough holes, some where have to use brain and plot, will be back when in tip top condition in the summer to see it at its absolute best

Wonderful Course, played with quite a bit of patience.

Although the course was played yesterday March 21st, for the fist 12 holes in light to moderate rain with greens becoming waterlogged, the hole (and indeed whole) layout was fantastic. The tees, greens and fairways were beautifully prepared and maintained. Off the winter tee positions, none of the par 5’s could not be reached in two, and no par 3 required more than a mid iron, but that’s winter golf. I will go back towards the end of April and play The Mere a couple of times to get the real feel of the length of the course. I really enjoyed it (subject to below).

The issue that I have with golf & spa resort courses is always the same. It’s the pace of play. When you have golf societies and casual golfers playing who are not normal members of golf clubs, the players generally do not pay heed to conventions of time or etiquette. To be a member of one of these resort clubs would be to resign yourself to standing on a tee eating another chocolate bar or banana and wondering if it was worth going on.

As a result of this, I joined a private club today.

Handicap a bad 8.2

Peter G.

Perfect Spring Day at Mere

The best value round for a long time. The Mere is a typical Braid classic. It gives golfers of all standards a fair test. Given the winter we have had we found good conditions and true greens. The golf staff were all welcoming and friendly. We will be back!!

Shoddy service

I was really looking forward to playing the Mere as I had heard great things from my colleagues. All looked good on arrival as the venue is amazing. However, it all went downhill quickly. Every hole was on winter greens, which was not explained to us until we arrived. Some holes were shortened by up to 100 yards and were pretty much unplayable. We did however find it amusing that 2 of the holes were in fact 200mm drainage pipe, so they were unmissable. What really annoyed us though was how we were treated by the course concierge. We were told there would be a slight delay to our start as a competition was still to finish their tee off. This would not of been a problem if it was true. As we booked with Teeofftimes and were not members we kept getting pushed further and further back, as first a 4 ball, then a single player, then another 4 ball teed off. What was unacceptable was when a 16 year boy teed off with an instructor on a lesson, who was clearly behind us. My party and myself were all of the impression that the members were being allowed to tee off in front of us. So instead of starting at 11:40 am we finally teed off at 12:15 pm. This meant we were coming off the course at around 16:30 pm, making us play the 17th & 18th holes in almost darkness. As well as standing around on every hole waiting for a four ball, then a kid on a lesson to finish ahead of.

Wholly unacceptable.

mere resort

I had doubts the course would be open after very heavy overnight rain, but the course was surprisingly very good. Fairways were, except from the odd small area, dry and we played off all the tees and all greens were in play and in exvellent condition. Only minimal areas of the course, aroind some greens and tees could be described as heavy going. Mere looks to be a great course to play if this winter is a wet one

Downhill

I was a member at Mere for seven years more than a decade ago, and usually revisit once a year. Sadly the last year has not been good as far as the conditioning of the course is concerned. The greens were fast but never felt true and watching my partners putts decidedly bobbly in parts. Sand in bunkers was inconsistent, and whilst the fairway conditions were fine, there were a number of areas just off the fairways that cud be marked GUR elsewhere. And what was all the leftover confetti on the 7th green.?

Not worth £26

Simply nor worth the green fee at the moment...
Course in pretty poor condition, various works going on, atrocious greens, some winter tees and greens...
All fur coat and no underwear, gorgeous off the course, but our group came to play golf, not pose..

Worth a £10 fee, if that..

Mere golf course

Weather was lovely
Pace of play was slow
Greens looked awful they had been slit , hollow tined and dressed but played a lot better than they looked
All the par 3's were on temporary mats
But all in all a really enjoyable game of golf and would recommend anyone to go and play this beautiful golf course if your game is off at least you can admire the stunning houses that line the golf course

What a Beauty

Played in February, just after the frost the week before.
The course is great condition, the greens are true but not quick yet and can imagine this would get the best of the best from Spring onwards. Only one temporary green.
The fairways are still not upto scratch but are 80% there.
The tees are still temporary and have been brought forward and shortens the course by approx 400-500 yards. The par 3's are still of the mat.
The views are amazing with the lake and some holes that have water hazards(what is about water and your mind goes dullaly).
The holes 15-18 are superb with ups and downs with dog legs thrown in require thinking and good execution.
Driving Range is great, you hit the balls into the lake. I loved it.
Pro shop is very well equipped.
The staff are very friendly and there is a lovely bar/coffee are that overlooks the 18rh and the lake, I imagine it's the place to be in the summer.
All in all, a brilliant course and would definitely play here again given the opportunity.
HCap:18 Round:87

Mere in February

The course was in excellent condition considering the time of year and the recent weather conditions. No temporary greens and just a few tee mats for the par 3's. The pace of play was a concern with a mixed 4 ball competition in front of us but 4:20 mins is acceptable and apart from a few waits on the early holes there were no real problems.
The staff are always friendly and accomodating and the course is always a pleasure to play, some fantastic holes and if you are playing badly then the views and walk are a welcome distraction.

Winter greens

Winter greens in play on our visit. Unfortunately the quality of the greens in particular the par 3's were nothing short of disgraceful. Course was also severely shortened, some holes such as the 2nd needlessly so. It's a nice course and winter greens are necessary after frost but a real shame so little had been done to present the best course possible.

High Legh, Cheshire East