Type Private/Resort
Rating N/A
The Mere Golf Resort & Spa
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 1934
Architect James Braid (1934)

Golf School Academy Yes - "The Mere Academy"

Dress code Proper attire is required. No denim.

Restaurant

Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities, Spa

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Tennis

Terrible pace of play

Unfortunately, this was a terrible round of golf that took 6 hours!!!!!! I was in a 2 ball and we were behind 5 groups of very poor golfers playing a strange version of Texas scramble. You would assume this would make them quicker, but they literally took 10 mins to discuss and take a shot each and then duff it 5 yards!! We ended up joining another 2 ball to try and speed it up but this didn't make any difference, at one stage there were 4 groups on our tee waiting. We phoned an complained and nothing happened. The round cost £135 for x2 people with a buggy and it is the worst money I have ever spent playing golf. The course was nice, especially back 6 holes, but this was irrelevant because of the pace of play. I was very unhappy.

Beautiful course ,stunning scenery over the lake

Great course ,scenery over the lake is breathtaking,plus we had a bonus of the Everton and England goal keeper Jordan Pickford playing in front of us, the only downfall was they must of sanded all the greens bar the 18th so greens where disappointing,but overall great course

Great course and venue

Great place and venue, unfortunately we had been double booked so we felt very rushed and it was very stressful at times.

Nice!

Was a bit worried after reading some recent reviews, but the course looks to have really benefitted from the recent rain.

Great layout and a stunning backdrop

Slightly Disappointed

Lovely setting and layout with obviously great views of the lake and surrounding houses but disappointed with the condition of the course. Starter advised reduced staff but fairways were bone dry and greens were very very average! Overall not worth the money. Would play it again but after a few months of rain and hopefully with more maintenance

I expected more!

Given we’ve had hot dry weather’ and we’re in the midst of a pandemic, the course was in my opinion in poor condition, I felt some of the greens needed more attention, and surrounding areas of the greens need water! I’m guessing they’re under staffed with furlough which is why I would give it another go future. My experience was not worth the money I paid!!

Nice course, but not amazing

Played here a couple of times now. It's in good condition and the layout is good too.
Plus it's easily accessible as near to motorways and good road networks.
There's decent facilities here with the hotel, bar and driving range (into the mere which is cool).
Due to it being close to the affluent Knutsford area, members can be a bit snooty, which is really apparent if you play on a day when the ladies have a comp on. They're furious if they see any 4 balls out in front of them.
All in all, it's a good course, but I feel for the money they charge I want something a bit more special.
That being said I will play it again sometime if there's a good deal on Golfnow!

Well worth the money

Play on a Monday morning and the course was pretty quiet.

In great condition for the end of November!

A great layout and overall set up of the club, driving range into the lake was fun!

Don't let the price out you off.

Mere course

Great day from bacon and egg butie,driving range included in price to a few pints after, course in great nick especially after all the weather, some tough holes, some where have to use brain and plot, will be back when in tip top condition in the summer to see it at its absolute best

Wonderful Course, played with quite a bit of patience.

Although the course was played yesterday March 21st, for the fist 12 holes in light to moderate rain with greens becoming waterlogged, the hole (and indeed whole) layout was fantastic. The tees, greens and fairways were beautifully prepared and maintained. Off the winter tee positions, none of the par 5’s could not be reached in two, and no par 3 required more than a mid iron, but that’s winter golf. I will go back towards the end of April and play The Mere a couple of times to get the real feel of the length of the course. I really enjoyed it (subject to below).

The issue that I have with golf & spa resort courses is always the same. It’s the pace of play. When you have golf societies and casual golfers playing who are not normal members of golf clubs, the players generally do not pay heed to conventions of time or etiquette. To be a member of one of these resort clubs would be to resign yourself to standing on a tee eating another chocolate bar or banana and wondering if it was worth going on.

As a result of this, I joined a private club today.

Handicap a bad 8.2

Peter G.

Perfect Spring Day at Mere

The best value round for a long time. The Mere is a typical Braid classic. It gives golfers of all standards a fair test. Given the winter we have had we found good conditions and true greens. The golf staff were all welcoming and friendly. We will be back!!

Shoddy service

I was really looking forward to playing the Mere as I had heard great things from my colleagues. All looked good on arrival as the venue is amazing. However, it all went downhill quickly. Every hole was on winter greens, which was not explained to us until we arrived. Some holes were shortened by up to 100 yards and were pretty much unplayable. We did however find it amusing that 2 of the holes were in fact 200mm drainage pipe, so they were unmissable. What really annoyed us though was how we were treated by the course concierge. We were told there would be a slight delay to our start as a competition was still to finish their tee off. This would not of been a problem if it was true. As we booked with Teeofftimes and were not members we kept getting pushed further and further back, as first a 4 ball, then a single player, then another 4 ball teed off. What was unacceptable was when a 16 year boy teed off with an instructor on a lesson, who was clearly behind us. My party and myself were all of the impression that the members were being allowed to tee off in front of us. So instead of starting at 11:40 am we finally teed off at 12:15 pm. This meant we were coming off the course at around 16:30 pm, making us play the 17th & 18th holes in almost darkness. As well as standing around on every hole waiting for a four ball, then a kid on a lesson to finish ahead of.

Wholly unacceptable.

mere resort

I had doubts the course would be open after very heavy overnight rain, but the course was surprisingly very good. Fairways were, except from the odd small area, dry and we played off all the tees and all greens were in play and in exvellent condition. Only minimal areas of the course, aroind some greens and tees could be described as heavy going. Mere looks to be a great course to play if this winter is a wet one

Downhill

I was a member at Mere for seven years more than a decade ago, and usually revisit once a year. Sadly the last year has not been good as far as the conditioning of the course is concerned. The greens were fast but never felt true and watching my partners putts decidedly bobbly in parts. Sand in bunkers was inconsistent, and whilst the fairway conditions were fine, there were a number of areas just off the fairways that cud be marked GUR elsewhere. And what was all the leftover confetti on the 7th green.?

Not worth £26

Simply nor worth the green fee at the moment...
Course in pretty poor condition, various works going on, atrocious greens, some winter tees and greens...
All fur coat and no underwear, gorgeous off the course, but our group came to play golf, not pose..

Worth a £10 fee, if that..

Mere golf course

Weather was lovely
Pace of play was slow
Greens looked awful they had been slit , hollow tined and dressed but played a lot better than they looked
All the par 3's were on temporary mats
But all in all a really enjoyable game of golf and would recommend anyone to go and play this beautiful golf course if your game is off at least you can admire the stunning houses that line the golf course

High Legh, Cheshire East