Type Resort/Private
Style Parkland
The Oxfordshire

Year Built 1993
Architect Rees Jones (1993) Keith Evans (1993)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Oxfordshire Golf Academy"

Fabulous views a good test

Well designed and laid out championship course with fantastic facilities.
It’s location makes it very susceptible to wind that effects all holes, all part of the challenge this course challenge.
The condition of the course however for the first time at this championship Venu was a little disappointing.
Please play here it will test you.

Absolutely amazing course

Amazing layout to this course. Greens in peak condition. Fairways in peak condition. Bunkers, of which there are plenty, are full of proper sand.
Course has plenty of water to keep you honest. Especially on the 11th which is what i can only describe as the signature hole (to me) with water running the full length of the hole from tee to green.

Really good course, very challenging and a real test but very enjoyable. Will definitely come back again.

Disappointed

I have spent some time debating whether to write this review or not, but eventually decided to go ahead with it.

I got a good deal from this site and was very satisfied with that. I arrived early at the course - as a single player I have found I can occasionally slip in ahead of larger groups. I got a luke warm welcome in the pro shop, no buggies were available at the time and was advised to stick to my booked tee time as there was a lot of four balls ahead of me. OK, not really a problem with the buggy but it was over 35C that day, so took plenty of water, and there was a halfway house.

After a drink in the very nice spike bar, I went to hit a few putts, I could see the last four ball, in buggies, ahead of me was started about 30 minutes ahead of my tee time. The starter then disappeared for 20 minutes and on his return, yet another four ball arrived - on talking to them we had been given the same start time! Fortunately they were very gracious and allowed me to play first.

The course looked stunning from the first tee, but I found, as usual, following societies/large groups, fairway divots, unraked bunkers and lots of pitch marks on the greens. For a Championship course, I was underwhelmed by its condition.

Playing by myself I caught up with the society/group by the 7th and could see that the groups ahead were backing up. As I had a lead on the group behind me I waited on the 8th tee to let the group finish before playing on. On getting to the 9th tee, I could see up the hill to the 10th tee and saw 4 buggies waiting there. With the group ahead of me just moving up to that tee, I knew I was in for a considerable wait on the back 9.

With the heat and the state of the course, I was already contemplating walking in. This decision was confirmed when I completed the 9th and walking up to the 10th tee, saw a senior 2 ball heading to join the queue ahead of me. At my home course, we have a rule, vigorously enforced, that no starts the back 9 if any player is on any part of the 9th hole.

I gave up and walked off - I felt that I would have been wasting my time in speaking out at the pro shop as I was a single visitor at such a course.

I spent a few moments in the wonderful locker room cooling off before leaving, unlikely to return.

Superb course

We only get to play here maybe once a year but are never disappointed. Always well manicured and a real pleasure. Looking forward to our next visit.

Fantastic course! Great value.

I played Celtic Manor in Feb and this course felt a similar standard for 1/4 the price.

Great Course, Great Fun

Fantastic winter round at The Oxfordshire. Course was great fun to play with a mixture of holes and some challenging over water carries. Whilst you can wrack up some big scores and lose the odd ball to the water, the rest of the course is forgiving and was refreshing not having to spend time looking for your ball in thick rough. Highly recommended!

Excellent course with 1 very small downside

Absolutely fantastic course with 1 small issue (only counts if you find more than one a round lol) the bunkers absolutely loads of them but that’s not the issue it’s the consistency of the sand, some with loads of fresh fluffy sand but then you get some with hardly any sand in them.
Please believe me when I say this is one of the best if not the best in The area.

Would highly recommend to others and will be definitely coming back.

The Oxfordshire

Firstly the weather was great which helps. Got a tee off for 1:50 and managed to get off 10 mins early.

The course is amazing, really well kept and a nice challenge but fair to shoot good scores if you play well with risk reward and feels a little bit links like.

The only disappointment was it’s so busy and was held up on every hole but still worth playing.

good challenge

Course was in great nick, green fabulous - the course is not as easy as they have done a great job blending the contours of the area into some of the holes, Some of the climbs leave you blowing :) But it also gives some fantastic views !! very nice

Course was in good condition, better than last time I played. Not overly remarkable in layout but lots of water, good greens and one interesting hole (17th).

However, I arrived at 10am to find out the course does not have enough golf carts. I had booked as a single through TeeOffTimes only to be told by a proshop staffer that the course does not pair up golfers and so he put me out as single golfer in between 4-balls. There was no starter on the first or the 10th. 'Watering hole' which is not a halfway hut but placed to be accessible after 6 and 12 was very poorly stocked. Only cooke food on offer were pasty and sausage rolls sitting under a heater for hours. Course layout does not put you near enough to the club house after 9.

Dissappointed

We have played this course before in the off-season so was expecting it to be in tip top condition at this time of year.Unfortunately it was sadly lacking,the greens were slow, bunkers had weeds growing in them and fairways had missed cuts of grass.
It is a shame as the course has the potential to be a "gem" again but looks a shadow of its former European Tour hosting days.

Considering the amount of rain over the last few weeks, I think the course was in very good condition.

It was nice to come back.

It’s been while since I played the Oxfordshire but got good deal on tee off times. Tee box, greens are very good condition. Grounds are still wet but it’s understandable after all these rain we have had. Love the course, still think best one in the area.

Guys in pro shop are unfriendly, no care. Wanted have a drink afterwards but the bar is closed which was unusual.

A must play

The Oxfordshire is a fantastic course with similarities to the London Club in its set-up and layout style. undulating fairways, water hazards, risk and reward holes, tricky par 3s, and excellent greens even at this time of year.The pace of play was good even with walking between holes being quite long, but still got around in about 4hrs. The holes with water in play are fantastic and varied with water on Par3, 4 and 5s. The signature holes are excellent. The fairways were a little muddy but otherwise course is in good condition. The clubhouse attached to the hotel is impressive and facilities are excellent. Drinks and food are a little pricey being a hotel.

Waterstock, South Oxfordshire