Lyman Orchards is a popular Connecticut destination most known for the nearly 100 varieties of pick-your-own fruit but it also offers two championship 18-hole golf courses and a nine-hole course. One of the longer courses was designed by Gary Player and the other by Robert Trent Jones. Lyman Orchards' Player Course is a seemingly mild 6,600 yards from the tips but don't let the yardage fool you, this layout is a tough but fair test. There are over 30 bunkers strategically placed along the small greens and deciduous trees and beautiful white pines line the fairways. Routed through the orchards across gently rolling hills, the golf course is as scenic as it is challenging. The terrain provides the course with plenty of ups and downs, as well as great views, especially on the 11th and 13th holes.

Player at Lyman Orchards Golf Club

Year Built 1994
Architect Gary Player (1994)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Golf School Academy Yes - "Lyman Orchards Golf Academy"
Golf Simulator Yes

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Amex Accepted

Bar, Snacks, Grill

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Playing Multiple Courses 12

nice

got rained out. course was nice enough to give us rain checks

Fun experience

Terrific greens... Very different than the average course. Quirky fun layout.
Friendly, helpful staff

Commented on 06/28/2020

Thank you for playing and thank you for your review! Hope to see you back again soon.

Commented on 06/26/2020

Thank you for playing and thank you for the review! We are happy you had a good time and we hope to see you back soon.

Good Course / Slow Play

Lyman never seems able or up to enforcing slow play. Nice golf courses, but even with a not so full parking lot, on a weekday, slow play yet again.

It has become "unplayable" on the weekends. We had a six, yes six, hour round recently. If you are going to charge top dollar rack rates, speed up the pace of play.

One guy from our group wrote to the course regarding the pace of play, but no one responded. Guess they don't care?

Commented on 06/26/2020

Hello, thank you for playing and for taking the time to review the course. We apologize about the slow play, I would love to find out more information about the day and time so we can look into what happened. We'll also go back and look for a comment we missed from your playing partner as pace of play is very important to us and the main reason we added GPS to our golf carts. Feel free to reach out to the course as we would love to change your experience of Lyman Orchards. Thank you,

Love the course target golf is wonderful

Love the course target golf is wonderfulAbsolutely the only complaint I could possibly have would be that the tea boxes we’re extremely overused quite possibly a rotation would help

Commented on 06/13/2020

Thank you for coming out to play and for the feedback. We will work hard to improve those tee boxes. Hope to see you back soon!

Commented on 06/13/2020

Thank you for coming out to play and thank you for your review. The 10 day forecast looks great so we hope to see you back soon!

What was Gary Player thinking?

It was my first time. Wow, what a weird layout. Just too many blind shots for me. There are breathtaking views, however.

Commented on 06/13/2020

Thank you for coming out to play and thank you for your review. We would love for you to come back and try the Jones Course as it offers a very different design concept. Hope to see you back soon.

Commented on 06/13/2020

Thank you for coming out to play and thank you for your review. Hope to see you back soon!

Tricky Challenging Course

I recommend playing from the blue tees unless you are a short hitter. There are many strategic lay up holes instead of hammering the driver. Course is in pristine condition and I will put it on my regular play list.

Commented on 06/09/2020

Thanks for coming out to play and thank you for your review! Hope to see you back soon.

good course

a little misty and wet today but course is in great shape.

Commented on 06/09/2020

Thank you for playing and for the 5 star review! Hope to see you back again soon.

Player

Great course. Fun layout. Speed up the greens and this course would be awesome. Very slow greens

Commented on 06/09/2020

Thank you for coming out to play and thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you back soon!

I enjoyed the Jones Course. I arrived and office stated I booked Jones Course, not Players Course. There was unfortunately a senior citizen in front of us on the front nine. This guy could barely walk so pace was unfortunately very slow. Great course conditions and the carts have an awesome new screen display keep score and tell distance. Very well worth it for the money. I look forward to playing it again.

Commented on 05/25/2020

Thank you for coming out to play and thank you for the 5 star review! Hope to see you back again soon.

Commented on 05/23/2020

Thank you for playing and thank you for the review!

Commented on 05/19/2020

Thank you for the 5 star review! Hope to see you back soon.

Commented on 05/17/2020

Thanks for playing the Player Course and thanks for your review! Hope to see you back again soon.

Commented on 05/10/2020

Thank you for playing and thank you for your review. We hope to see you back soon!

Poor maintenance

Been playing golf about 20 yr and been there done that in my golf life, which means I know well what golf is. just one thing that I want to share here is "Please do not go this course until they perform some serious maintenance work and/or upgrade all that. Having said that, the fairway was ok but weed control is definitely missing, landscaping is a must-need-job for this course (not tomorrow just today). Besides the green was as slow as I-95 between NY and Boston, the rough was simply saying "Jungle" in Brazil. Intentionally they let them grow like a jungle for the future PGA games? I do not think so. For example, if you hit and landed on any rough area, do expect you would find it with less effort and just better to drop another ball and play and go.

These all are happening just because of the COVID19 pandemic? If so I will make myself available to get around to golf here someday later on and excuse me.

Commented on 05/10/2020

Thank you for playing and for sharing your concerns around course maintenance. We work hard to improve the course every day and now that it is finally starting to dry out, you will find much improved playing conditions. Hope to see you back soon.

Played Player Course. Took four hours to play 13 holes. Called it a day after that because there was not going to be any improvement in slow play and it would likely have taken another two hours to finish the round. Contributing factors to slow play were "cart path only" restrictions and long rough. Not the fault of the course, just saying to be prepared for a long day under similar conditions if you are not an advanced golfer. Also a warning for other than advanced golfers, there are many forced carries and blind shots on the Player Course, which can result in a frustrating day.

Commented on 05/04/2020

Thank you for playing and thank you for your review. We apologize that it was a slow round. Hopefully the course dries out so that we can cut the rough and get the carts out on the fairways this week!

Great day at at Lyman Orchards

Given the amount of rain over past 2 days it was a great experience. Greens are in very good condition. Fairways due to weather we’re soggy but playable. You can’t fault the golf course. Pace of play was a bit slower than.normal, but given it is a weekend and 90 degree rule, it was not bad. Staff was friendly and accommodating.

Commented on 04/29/2020

Thank you for coming out to play and thanks for sharing your experience. Once the course can dry out a bit we can relieve those cart restrictions and hopefully speed things up! See you back again soon.

Target Practice

This is a tough golf course, and you have to know where to place your shots. If you’re playing for the first time, play with someone who has been there before. Blind shots and the penalties for missing are deep rough just off the fairways. To score well here you better be a mid handicapper having a good day or better. If you are a duffer, I would strongly suggest that you think twice about playing on this course, and perhaps playing the more friendly Jones course.
It looks to me like the Orchard built this course with 3 sections of property they had left over after building the Jones course. The first segment is routed through the woods and features a lot of mounding and two holes that require a strong poke over a ravine. Then a long walk to a section built up and around the highest point on the course. The most notable hole is #12, which requires blind shots on the tee and for the approach. I couldn’t believe it when my playing partner who had played here once before showed me the approach line. I would have never guessed that it would be that severe a dogleg, but it was. The third section goes back down into the valley next to the Jones course and is less remarkable and just darn long. 3 of the final 5 holes are par 5s. At least you get to see where you need to go in this section.
I am definitely going back. I enjoyed the challenge and want to play it again, this time at least I will have a better idea of course management. The conditions are very good, the staff nice, the facilities are very good.
The only real criticism I would have is that the par 3s could be a bit more imaginative, but with the elevation change and wind up on that hill it makes for interesting club selection. And don’t walk and carry unless you’re in really good shape. I did and I would do it again but fatigue certainly became an element when I came down from the hill and started playing the home stretch. Also there are a few really long walks between the sections.
It’s a modern course, with a few holes that are tricked up, but very enjoyable and good test of golf. Play it with the right attitude and you will have a great round.

Commented on 04/24/2020

Thank you for playing and for your review! Hope to see you back soon!

Commented on 04/24/2020

Thanks for playing and for your review! Hope to see you again soon!

Meriden, Connecticut