Learn more about becoming a member at
Werneth Golf Club

Style Parkland
Slope N/A
Rating N/A

Year Built 1909

Bar, Snacks

Clubhouse

Returned and loved it

Couldn't fault my afternoons golf here. When I arrived the pro was out, but left a note and was back at the specified time. The practice green is well kept and there is one bay for hitting the longer stuff in your warmup.

The course was nice and quiet, so wayward drives were less of an issue- but it was much firmer than the last time I was here- dry feet all the way round. The fairways are very well maintained, and the rough is better than some fairways I've played on. A handful of divots on the greens, but that's to be expected late in the day.

Lovely views

It's a good course and has nice views around it. What could be improved are tee boxes that looked like they needed mowing at least, greens could be a bit tidier too

Great course for all handicaps.

First time played with friend who knew the course, which was critical as many blind second shots to greens.

Greens and fairways in lovely condition.

Will definitely return soon.

Surprised

First time playing Werneth. It’s a quirky course but the members are all very helpful to point out the next tee. A shortish course but some challenging holes, will play again.

Splendid Afternoon

Played this afternoon for I think the 4th time at Werneth and this was mt favourite visit to date. The recent rain had brought the fairways up very nicely and the greens were all in good nick. A good mix of holes and the famous ravine seemed a more forgiving today. All that was lacking was a beer in the Clubhouse to finish the day. Will be back very soon.

Excellent value for money, but not for complete beginners!

I've really conflicting opinions about this course.

The good- The fairways and rough were of a good length, and the greens played quite well considering the rain. The bloke in the pro shop was very helpful, and provided a map as it was my first visit. The locals on the course were friendly, helpful and considerate, as were the maintenance staff.

The bad- The fairways were quite squelchy underfoot- just about playable from, but not pleasant. The gorge was a big problem for me. Not only did it claim a fair few balls, but (combined with the tight, criss-cross nature of the course) was a bit of a worry that I'd hit other players, certainly as a beginner.

I'll definitely be back, but it'll be when I'm a bit more confident in my abilities!

All to do with preferences

Over the summer me and a few friends have been trying to play new courses. This time it was Werneth
I’ll get the negatives out of the way first.
It’s a beginners course. Great for beginners to high handicappers. It’s fairly short but tight.
The tee blocks really let it down. The tee blocks grass at times was as long as the rough.
The worse part was the time between shots. Slow play was a grind. Just constantly waiting. To the point I started giving chipping lessons to my friend to pass the time. We gave up on the 17th and called it a day. I don’t believe the cause of this was from members but a couple of lads learning to play.
The good points. It’s a tricky and interesting course. Fairways and greens were lovely.
The professional was very friendly. Gave us a map of the course to help us get around.
The members were some of the friendliest I’ve ever met. Happy to chat and have a good laugh with.
I would return but hopefully on a quieter day when I just want a knock around for a bit of fun.

Better signage needed

Played today for the first time, was quite boggy in places due to the rain we've had recently, but still playable. The greens were the best I've played in quite a while even after all the rain. Better signage is definitely needed on all holes as it can be very confusing. I will be playing again though and would recommend.

Beautiful course

Werneth golf club was very impressive. this was our second time of playing the course 1st time was very windy and proved more difficult this time the weather was perfect. The course layout is exceptional and the condition was superb very well kept. the staff and members very friendly. whilst I was on the practice putting green an elderly member came and give me some advice which I was grateful for the facilities are very good and range of meals and snacks very good. I was very impressed and I am considering applying for membership. would readily recommend to friends

Good in summer poor in winter

So I first played here a few months ago in the summer now the only problem then was the course layout tee boxes didn’t follow the green on some of the holes

On this occasion we booked a 9 am tee off, when we arrived no staff were present, didn’t have a card for the round. Problem 1, ressolved by using the golf shot app, secondly all the greens were winter green that weren’t advertised and were the size of a bin lid on the fairway, 3 holes were closed only informed when we got to the tee boxes for each hole and finally the drainage oh the drainage never walked through moor puddles on a golf course, somehow and I have to commend the staff their were puddles half way up hills

So great challenging course in summer will not be playing again in winter!

The Locals are restless

Great little course but it's located within a big housing estate in Oldham. We teed off around quarter to 2 in the afternoon.

Some of the local kids were camped out by the first green and ran off with my playing partner's ball - never to be seen again. (the flag stick was also missing from the 1st hole)

- later on we saw this happen to another guy who teed off the 1st and had his ball nicked by the same kids.

A couple of holes later we saw a few older local lads riding their mountain bikes across the fairways and onto some of the greens.

All of this aside (which was a real shame), the course is a good challenge with greens rolling well and strategically placed bunkers.

I would imagine teeing off a bit earlier might reduce the chance of the local "wildlife" being up and about causing bother.

Werneth Golf Club

A little tricky to find.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The course was in good condition in the main part, with only a little standing water.
The layout was quite complicated, and I ended up playing the 9th before the 4th and went the wrong way.
There are also not enough signs to direct to the next tee on a few holes, for example the 17th green is directly in line with the 18th fairway tee box.
Overall tho, the greens were in fine condition and it was a very pleasant course.

Great condition

Really nice course. Well looked after. Value for money definitely be playing again

Woodhouses, Manchester