Type Private
Style Parkland
West Derby Golf Club

Year Built 1896

Wet but very enjoyable

West Derby holds water, this we know. Given recent weather I was sceptical as to whether I would need a canoe to traverse the course. I'm happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. Although the rough was long and very wet in places, fairways hit were rewarded with good lies and the greens were in beautiful condition. Green keepers were working on 2 greens (which would have been nice to know beforehand) but even given the recent rain definitely playable. Waterproof shoes and accuracy off the tee are paramount but if you find the short stuff you can enjoy a very nice course to yourself.

Beautiful greens excellent rough

Course is suitable for any handicap but be warned the front 9 greens are tricky to get on the greens due to water and bunker hazards so make sure you have an accurate flop shot or two in your game!

Slow play mainly due to a junior competition in progress, but can’t blame the course for promoting junior golf.

Course was in great condition and the greens where fab

Not a winter course

First time playing West Derby even though on my doorstep. Got round in under 4 hours even though it was very busy. Staff were friendly and the pro shop and clubhouse were nice. The course obviously struggles in the winter as the fairways weren’t cut and same length as first cut of rough on most holes. Majority of the course had winter mats as tee boxes. Thats fine on most courses however these mats had seen better days and were very slippery due to lack of grip underfoot. Greens had been top coated (absolutely understandable this time of year) but rolled well enough to enjoy putting on them. Coming back to play again in the summer to see the difference against the winter state. In hindsight, wouldn’t pay the price for a winter round as there are more local clubs who charge less for bettet winter conditions.

very wet, but good course

very wet ,you need to play off your own mat,or take ball to second cut off fairway. not many on course,mainly due to very wet/muddy underfoot .roll on spring......

Not using fairway

Bit like playing a internet game of golf, picking up ball to worse position in rough.
Air machine broke to clean mud off trolley and shoes

West Derby is a nice course, the course was ok in general considering it was still winter conditions. Some great challenging holes and forgiving, large greens.

Very enjoyable round

Have to give 5* for value for money, paid £15 with a tee time of 08:00.Course in lovely condition. with friendly staff and locals, will be back..

Lovely parkland course

Great layout, very friendly and in excellent condition.

Absolute Bargain.

I don't like giving 5 stars because it doesn't leave any room for improvement. Have to give 5 for value for money though. With a Teeofftimes deal of 15 quid, I don't think you could find a better bargain. Course in lovely condition. Played first thing in morning and they were already working on the greens. Course isn't overlong but all greens are well protected. Everybody is friendly. Will definitely be back.

Joe lamb, baconater

Great value and course in good condition will definitely play there again

Value for money

Nice course in good condition at a great price £15 each, bit soft in the rough,lots of rain recently but overall great value for money (hot deals). Definitely recommend.

no info

having booked with teeofftimes we arrived at the course to be told 4 holes closed , matts to be used on fairways . then we find 2 temp greens which were just a flag in fairway , lots of temp tee matts in use , overall a miserable experience having paid decent money .

Poor

The course was in terrible condition It was like trying to swing a golf club on a water bed I’ve played better municipal courses won’t be playing here again

Greens and fairways immaculate

Played alone which I usually do not enjoy. Course was better than I expected with excellent fairways and immaculate greens. Weather was perfect which helps. Very friendly with other golfers saying hello etc and thanks to the 3 ball for letting me through. Had no hold ups and whizzed round all too soon. Will be playing again and hope to try the 19th hole etc next time and will bring a friend if i can find one!

Gold

I enjoyed the course and the greens are exceptional , My only quibble is that once we finished are round we wanted a beer at the club house but the doors were locked and we were not allowed in . I will play again at West Derby but not for a while

It's golf Jim, but not as we know it.

Reserved a tee off time for three golfers. Turned up at the course at the appointed time. Pro shop guy, who was friendly enough, informed us that we had to pay a deposit so that we could have three little AstroTurf mats to take round. These were to be used on the fairway AND from the rough.

We took that information on the chin and headed to the first tee. This was a temporary tee box with a tee mat. All three uf us teed off and subsequently walked down the first fairway towards our balls. The ground underfoot was really wet and muddy. We made it about 100 yds down the fairway before we heard the ground keeping staff shouting us from the first tee area. They caught up with us to inform us there was a trolley ban in place and that we'd have to go back with our trolleys and then carry the bags for the duration of the round.

I'm afraid that was the last straw for us. With the temporary tees, AstroTurf mats, no trolleys and who knows what going on with the greens, we'd basically paid good money to fly our balls over their airspace because at virtually no point was a ball to be in contact with any of their grass.

We returned to the clubhouse, when the groundsman gave the guy from the pro shop a gentle telling off for not enforcing the trolley ban (pro shop guy claimed he didn't know there was one). I called tee off times and requested a refund, which was duly organised. I also asked them to call the course because they are offering times on tee off times when, in actual fact, they should just be closed. Yes, there's been a fair bit of rain recently, etc, etc but, don't waste people's time like that. It was pretty annoying and I hope that, in future, they have the good sense to look at their course conditions and make suitable arrangements with any business associates who book times for them.

After a couple of calls from the car park, we manage to book a tee off time at Bowring Park. It's thought to be the oldest municipal course in England and, I think, would be quite good to play when things firm up on the ground. As it was, we had a perfectly satisfactory round, considering the conditions.

Golf clubs.........know your course and plan accordingly for the conditions. By having tee times showing as available when the course was in no condition to be played, not to mention the amount of restrictions that were in place, you are basically wasting peoples' time and money. As a result of my experience at West Derby, you'd have to go some to persuade me to return there, even in the middle of summer. So unnecessarily annoying.

Huyton, Knowsley