Westhoughton Golf Club

White 71 5918 yards
Yellow 71 5581 yards
Red (W) 71 5225 yards
Scorecard for Westhoughton Golf Club
White M: 69.2/117 395 154 370 159 319 469 325 362 500 3053 167 321 197 441 347 506 282 292 312 2865 5918
Blue M: 67.1/114 335 131 352 138 298 458 307 341 469 2829 159 318 189 401 322 497 280 283 303 2752 5581
Red W: 66.1/111 364 128 311 111 244 434 269 329 420 2610 148 316 145 390 310 476 278 271 281 2615 5225

Year Built 1934

Metal Spikes Allowed Soft spikes preffered

No play due to thunder storm

Unfortunately went to tee off on hole 3 and a thunder storm erupted therefore did not get to play round

No one available to speak to so unable to rearrange another playing date

From being greeted in the car park by a member of staff to friendly members

We had a great day really nice course in great condition

A true test both from the tee and on your approach to the green

Will definitely be returning

Really lovely, friendly club & course

From start to finish the whole day was fantastic! We arrived at 9am and a lovely lady member helped us to sign in and let us borrow a couple of mats explaining how and where to use them. She showed us around the facilities, nothing was to much trouble for her and she made us feel very welcome and at ease. We checked the course details on the main board which were very informative and well updated, then made our way to a well maintained practice area with a driving net, putting green, chipping area AND bunker! after warming up we made our way to the 1st tee which was well sign posted. Winter tees and greens were being used and despite the awful weather they were easily playable and well directed. Out on the course were a couple of groups of men who acknowledged us in a friendly manner and we felt relaxed and made the experience even better. The course offers up some tricky questions, the pond at 4 and the ditch and umpteen bunkers at 5!! the rest I'll let you discover!! We came off feeling great and glad we'd braved the weather for this lovely course and popped into the club house for a warmer. The hostess greeted us warmly and we ordered ham and cheese toasties which were absolutely delicious and much needed. The club house is very cosy and everyone we met were friendly and welcoming. We will definately be returning to Westhoughton GC, it's a lovely course in bad weather so in summer I bet it's stunning! Defo one to put on your "Must do" golf list!

Really lovely club & course

From start to finish the whole day was fab! we arrived at 9am and a lovely lady member helped us sign in and let us borrow a couple of mats. She showed us around the facilities, nothing was too much trouble for her and she made us feel very welcome and comfortable as being new to golf it can be daunting. We checked course details on the main board which were very informative and helpful, then used the driving net, putting green and practice bunker..yes we even used the bunker lol!! before heading out to the 1st tee. The winter tees and greens were being used but despite the bad weather they were easily playable. There were a couple of groups of men out on the course at the same time, but we didn't feel rushed or harassed and they acknowledged us in a friendly manner. The course asked very good questions and tested us on numerous holes especially the pond at 4, the ditch and umpteen bunkers at 5! the rest I'll let you discover!! We came off feeling great and glad we'd braved the weather for this lovely course and popped into the club house for a warmer. The hostess greeted us warmly and we ordered ham and cheese toasties which were absolutely delicious and much needed. The club house is very cosy and everyone we met were friendly and welcoming. We will definitely be returning to Westhoughton GC, it's a lovely course in bad weather so in summer I bet it's stunning! Defo one to put on your "Must do" golf list.

Very disappointing golf experience

I don't normally give negative reviews but feel that I have to on this occasion.

As soon as we arrived a member ran up to the car to ask if we had mats. we said yes and stated that we would use on all fairways but not in the rough which was agreed. we then found out holes 13 and 14 were closed and the remaining back 9 holes were on temporary greens. This was unexpected given that weather had been dry for the previous few days. This was not mentioned on the courses website. It was 8:30am and the pro shop was closed (And was still closed when we finished at midday)

Members were generally unfriendly and then to cap it all I was admonished by a member for playing a shot out of the rough without using a mat on one of the back 9 holes ?? Really ?? Never had to do this on any course previously and myself and my golfing buddies have played over the country.

We are 4 regular golfers, with handicaps ranging from 12 to 14, so we know our etiquette and how the game should be played. We have played many of the golf courses in the North West and generally are made to feel welcome wherever we play. Not in this instance and we will not be returning.

Don't bother!!!

When you book there is no indication of the state of the course, and no information to be found on the club website. We arrived to find that two holes were closed, and the back 7 holes were on winter greens.

As usual there was no-one in the pro shop, but we shouldn't worry about that as evrybody we saw was very willing to give "advice". The first peice of advice we received was regarding the use of mats, when we were told on the first tee by some members that they should be used on the fairways, but they were not necessary in the rough. We followed this advice, until we were rudely given different advice on the 17th hole, with a member screaming at us that we had to use mats everywhere. Despite our protests that we had been given different advice earlier, this didn't seem to make any difference.

Don't let anyone tell you that this is one of those "Friendly little gems" because it isn't. The members are the rudest of any golf course I have ever been to, and you can be absolutely certain we won't be going back, ever.

I actually used to be a member of this club, and the reasons why I left all came flooding back to me during the course of that round.

If you are thinking of trying this course, please take my advice and spend your money somewhere else, as they don't deserve it.

Avoid at all costs.

ladyluvsgolf
Commented On 03/18/2018

It seems an awful shame that your experience was so completely opposite to mine. I hope people won't be put off from trying the course for themselves as it really is a lovely set up. I understand that the website and facebook are being overhauled and will be updated regularly so this should help.

Westhoughton, Bolton