Wilpshire Golf Club

White 69 5843 yards
Yellow 69 5617 yards
Red (W) 72 5309 yards
Scorecard for Wilpshire Golf Club
Yellow M: 66.2/111 304 427 397 337 160 308 413 162 518 3026 529 194 371 256 362 189 386 176 348 2811 5837
White W: 67.2/113 296 410 367 337 151 305 404 148 467 2885 503 191 362 252 348 189 375 164 348 2732 5617

Year Built 1890
Architect James Braid (1924) Steve Marnoch

Carts Yes - GBP 20

Golf School Academy Yes - "Lancashire Golf Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Delta, Mastercard, Switch

A peculiar winter round

The round started with a a brief hello to the person in the shop who was on the phone.

What happened next- very odd. First 11 holes , great. Then on the 12th- a sign- warning golfers to not play from the fairway- which thanks to a slight errant drive, was a moot point. Thereafter at the beginning of each fairway on par 4s there was a similar sign.

I thought I’d been clever and done my research- a tweet from last winter extolling the virtues of Wilpshire ‘no winter mats’ but I guess it’s too much to expect a course in Lancashire to remain fully open in cold, dark November.

Roll on April!

Great course.

Played on frosty morning, winter greens as expected but as morning warmed up we were on full greens by 9th hole. 10/10 for that. This is a great course one of best in area.

Great golf course

Great golf course, well worth a day out, speed of play was excellent, wish every round of golf was three hours.

Staff

excellent

Great course..very quiet(went mid-week)early in morning.....could only give pro shop average as the tee time i got was before shop opens.. Lovely high tees.. Friendly people on the course

Saturday quietness

It was pretty quiet playing Saturday afternoon- by the time I got to hole 14 I was tailing the competition, but otherwise was able to play at my own pace after a group kindly let me through on six.

The course is in decent condition. The only thing to spoil it perhaps is the neighbouring par 5s that go up and down the hill in a straight line- with the prevailing wind they play similar distance (in my experience).

The greens were running true. A good test of golf.

Good value, good views

The last time I played Wilpshire, I needed diving gear and a tractor (cf 'Bog Snorkelling) so I had been reticent booking another round. A hot deal persuaded me that it wasn't much too find out if the course had improved much.

It had- a lot. Apart from a few corners (notably in the shade, for example the 18th tees) the course was dry, and in marvellous condition. The fairways looked excellent with well defined stripes (which for me gains many marks) and a clearly defined first cut of rough.

The more one plays Wilpshire, the more fun it becomes - and easier. The greens run true- and are perhaps not the most contoured.

Since my last visit, a few holes seem to be playing a little longer- in particular the par 3s on the back nine- you'll need a good mid iron to take those on.

A good course where it isn't always prudent to use the driver off the tee. Recommended.

Good Test

Very good course great par 3s the views around the course are great to. Would definitely recommend it and would play there again

Good course

Thoroughly enjoyed the course friendly pro shop employees wish they had warned us about the sand on the greens

No trolleys

Was told on arrival that I wasn't allow to use my trolley which was a bit awkward as I have a rather large cart bag which ended up getting filthy and wet due to the rain (I did however see some people using trolleys on the course?). As for the course itself it was in excellent condition for the time of year especially the greens which were a credit to the greenkeepers. Absolute bargain at £12.50 wouldn't hesitate to play again.

Good day, BUT

Great course good day golf BUT

Why do so called members who should know better still not adhere to simple guidance, as a guest I was asked to read the days course rules i.e. fairway shots placed to the side to keep the course in good nick and keep up with play, however several older member just hacked away at the fairway, if they lost a ball took, on one occasion at least 10 minutes to look and not find it, with no regard for other players behind, The course is very good but my experience with some members atrocious, will think twice about playing this course again. Friendly ?

A little Gem

Considering the time of year this was a little gem of a find for us this morning... most tees in play and all greens (wow).. fairways lift to the side but we were both really impressed.. greenkeepers pat yourself on the back for such good greens despite recent rain and the time of year.. despite being par 69 this is a challenge not only for your golf but your feet also very much up and down. great use of the terrain.. found staff very friendly and the captain even came over to speak to us to gain our thoughts after our round... we will without doubt he returning... keep up all the good work..

Bog Snorkelling

Wilpshire is a lovely course, with great views, a reasonable variety of holes which just gets more enjoyable with repeated familiarity- a few of the blind tee shots for example- knowing to aim at a telegraph pole, or a White House...

I've visited a number of times and enjoyed it. However in January, it should have been closed. The tee boxes that were open were so waterlogged it was difficult to feel confident in stance. The fairways were incredibly wet, and I discovered after three holes that one of my shoes was no longer watertight.

It is fair to say the weather in Lancashire in January was the bad side of abysmal. I will go back when Lancashire has dried out a little!

Good value winter golf

Very quiet out on the course today, which was in pretty good condition for the time of year. Most of the tees were open and all main greens were in play. The green keeping team were working hard on a few areas. Good value round.

Wilpshire

Even 5 days before xmas course was plenty dry enough. Tees and greens all on. Greens good. Paths nicely kept. Would recommend as lots of variety.

An excellent morning's golf

I played with my son and my brother and we all really enjoyed the course. Admittedly parts of the course were wet but this is to be expected at this time of year. Despite this, the course was very playable with many of the tees still being off grass and the greens very smooth and a nice speed.

The course layout was great and gave a good test without being too punishing, adding to the enjoyment.

Overall, highly recommended and I look forward to returning next year in spring or summer.

Langho, Ribble Valley