Style Parkland
De Vere Wokefield Estate Golf Club

Year Built 1996
Architect Jonathan Gaunt (1996)

Great course and well maintained. Enjoyed immensely... Love ro play again. Recommend golfers this course...

Well designed with interesting holes

Wokefield Park is well designed with interesting and challenging holes. It is a bit rough around the edges which is a shame. However, if it was immaculately kept it would be £80+ per round rather than the £20 we played on a Saturday afternoon. Just a bit more work on the tee boxes and emptying the bins wouldn’t require much effort! We got round in exactly 4hours teeing off on a very hot Saturday so pace of play was reasonable. All in all a very good course for £20

Poor condition

Fancied a game on my day off and booked this course for £15. It was fairly quiet with a couple of golfers a few holes in front. Fairways were in good condition but the tee boxes and the greens were poor. The tees were very patchy and uneven. I went to repair a divot and found the divot repair box full of rubbish (beer cans). I checked all the boxes on my way around and they were all the same (appalling behaviour from golfers)
The greens were very poor for the time of year, covered in holes and dents. These were not pitchmarks although there were a lot of un repaired pitchmarks from golfers. Overall the layout of the course was good, just a shame that thentees and greens were so poor

I didn't think a 6 hour round was possible

I have played this course several times over the last 10 years and have had mixed experiences. In the wetter months, it becomes quite soft and heavy under foot and in the summer it can get a bit dry and patchy.

Prior to making my booking, I had been told that the course wasn't in good condition so I checked with the Pro Shop who advised me that it was in great condition and that they were holding their Club Championships on the weekend prior to my visit.

On arrival and an hour ahead of our tee time, we could see a very large number of players backed up at the first tee and when it was time for us t tee off, the starter advised us that they were running 15 minutes behind at that point. From the 1st to the 18th tee, we had to wait on every hole for between 10 and 20 minutes with the play in front of us being very slow. The tee boxes were in pretty poor condition (dried out, lumpy and full of dead patches, ) and it was difficult to find and even piece of grass to stand on. The greens were fine albeit a bit slower that what I am used to.

The pace of play was ridiculously slow and for most of the round we arrived at the next tee to find two groups waiting and one playing the hole. On the 12th hole, there was a group on the green and 3 groups on the tee waiting. After 5 hours and only completing 13 holes, we gave up and walked off the course. Up to this point we had averaged less than 3 holes per hour. As we walked up past the empty 18th green, we couldn't see anyone standing on the 18th tee or playing that hole. If we had completed all 18 holes, our round would have been at least 6 hours long which is just crazy.

There is no excuse for this and the club has to accept responsibility. Either they have too many people on the course, the tee times are too close to each other or they need to marshal the course to keep people moving.

None of my 4 ball will ever play that course again

Good value for money. Nice golf course with a lot of potential, but course comes second to the hotel resort. Some very nice holes, but the greens and tee boxes need a bit more work.

Slow Play

5th time I’ve played Wokefield & it’s a real shame. It’s a nice course with great facilities but for the 5th time I’ve walked off due to slow play. This course is 3 miles from my house so very convenient but it isn’t marshalled at all. We were a 2 ball walking and caught a 4 ball in buggies on the 5th, had so many opportunities to play us through but didn’t, we waited on every tee & every 2nd shot for 10 mins+, I have no issue with people who are new to the game but when it’s 4h 29m to all lay 13 holes it’s crazy. It’s a shame and it’s the reason I won’t become a member here and instead travel 30 mins across town.

Neglected

Have played this course before was very let down
with its overall condition
It looks like it has been neglected over the winter
months
Tee boxes very poor
Fairways needed cutting
And greens in very poor state
The staff in pro shop were great very welcoming
and friendly
Bar / cafe was also good

Mr T

Excellent round on an empty course, I’ve played here regularly and it gets very busy at the weekends but today we had the place to oursleves

Enjoyable round

Wokefield park is always in decent condition. The course was empty at 8am so I managed to get round in just over 3 hours. It definitely helped with the tees being forward in my standard and pace of play.

Poor condition

Have played this course a few times now, generally in reasonable condition.
However £10 green fee plus £1 booking fee, shouldn't expect much I suppose.
Course is very poor condition, fairways poor, greens poor, bunkers poor.
Wouldn't pay and not worth anymore than £10.
Is a shame as a de Vere resort course, the course is a nice layout, interesting holes, doglegs, water etc. It's a shame as the course is a nice course, but awful condition.

The course and particularly the greens were in very good condition. A number of holes have water hazards so accuracy is a key to scoring well

Problem again!

Booked a 1044 tee time. Got to the tee at 1035 to have a putt. 3 fourballs waiting on the tee (not great). There was a four ball in front of me and due to the hold up it was already 1055. I asked them what time their tee time was and they said.....1044!!!
They informed me that they’d booked online. I’m not sure how the tee time was double booked but I waited until they’d gone before I teed off. I played 4 holes and was so fed up with the slowness that I walked back, packed my gear in the car and left. Second time that I’ve had a bad experience through Tee times online/slow play. Won’t be making a mistake for a third time!

Good layout

Played this course as it’s local and got a good deal. Was aware that a large society had gone out 30 mins before my tee time. I was playing on my own and wasn’t rushing as there was no one behind. By the third hole I had caught up a four ball (last group of the society) and the play was soooo slow from then on. There was no urgency from the groups in front and they constantly stopped to chat with other groups on adjoining fairways. It really was poor etiquette and was frustrating. By the time we reached the 9th a group had caught me up despite teeing off 30mins after me. There was still no signs of the groups in front speeding up. By the 12th hole, I’d had enough and walked in, there were two other groups waiting behind me on the tee. It had taken me 3 1/2 hours to play 12 holes, all the groups in front had buggies but made no effort to speed up. Really spoiled the round for me. The course was in good condition although a couple of the greens and tees were a bit patchy. I spoke to the pro shop about the slow play and they were very apologetic which was good. Just a shame that the slow play had ruined the day

Testing but too busy

Good value for money
Plenty of parking & amenities
Hazards make you think off the tee
Driving range right next to first tee so good for a warm up

Greens & fairways condition could be a lot better
Very busy course all day so don’t expect a quick round!

Could be better

Have played here 4 times now over the last 2 years, 1st time last year, course was in good condition, lovely greens, 2nd time not quite so nice.
Then played in the spring this year, greens were awful, slow, bumpy, overall course looked scruffy. So tried again greens were quick and played better than they looked. The rest of the course generally looks scruffy, whilst it's cheap id rather pay a bit more and play a course in better condition, de Vere actually have an interesting good course here, with a hotel attached, think they need to up the standard of the golf course.

Bank Holiday Game

Course was in fairly good shape as we have had a lot of dry weather but it had rained all day the day before,greens were fast but a little bumpy but overall a good day .One slight down was the expensive breakfast really designed for hotel guests and not golfers

Good but not ideal for beginners

Nice course in a lovely setting. Considering the dry summer it has held up well. Friendly staff as always. The changing room and showers are good. And there are two bars (one in the main hotel and one next to the pro shop. I’d recommend this course for medium and low handicappers but it is challenging for learners due to the elevated greens, water hazards and rough.

Some nice holes

Obviously we were in the middle of a very dry spell spell so the course was running and running. Still decent to play though and a good test. One or two nice holes where you had a decision to make as well which is always good.

Well worth a visit

Booked through teeofftime.co.uk, exceptional value, £10 per head. A decent course but has suffered from the run of hot weather we have had.
Facilities good, clubhouse food expensive!
Staff friendly, overall a positive experience and def worth playing.

Calcot, West Berkshire