This golf course is closed for business. Not true? Let us know.
Looking for other options nearby?

Slope N/A
Rating N/A

Editor's Note: The Magnolia Nine was closed in 2013. See Bluewater Bay Resort - Lake Course, Bluewater Bay Resort - Bay Course and Bluewater Bay Resort - Marsh Course listings for the remaining opened courses.

Year Built 1993
Architect Jerry Pate (1993)

Clubs No

Clubhouse, Marina, Banquet Facilities

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Tennis

Amazing Food 9
Playing Multiple Courses 27

Greens as fast as your carpet

I have played Bluewater Bay for years while coming to Destin for vacation. It has been sad to see the decline of this course over the years. What used to be 4 nines has now been whittled down to 2. The fairways were decent. The tees ok, but the greens were so slow. It was frustrating how slow they were and I did not get used to it until well into the back nine. Also, we had a backup on the back nine and were waiting on every shot for the last 5 or 6 holes. I am not sure why that was when there was a marshall out there.. It was a great price, so I did not regret playing there, but you get what you pay for. Also the driving range was closed and apparently. has been sold and will not re-open. Not sure if I will play there again.

Conditions much better than reviews said.

Great layout and much better conditions than reviews said. Great value.

Rough round

Got there early was told to tee off when ready by the very nice pro shop attendant
Started on the bay course. Wow we thought we were playing in a cow field. Very poorly maintained
The back we played the marsh course. Much better condition
Fairways well maintained the greens were slow due to sanding but in decent shape
We were slowed down considerably by the 2some in front of us
Would have been nice to have been offered to play through
It was cheap but ya get what ya pay for
Lesson learned

Plays Twice a year

good value

For $30 bucks I don't know how you beat it. Let me know what you are paying in Destin? I laugh at people who say course in hard to navigate. The guy in the pro shop was very specific about telling me where to go. Then the starter went through the same drill. Not to mention they have nice signs that tell you where to go. Greens were recently punched so you have to expect it to take some time for sand to settle. Staff was great.

Rough greens

Arrived 30-40 minutes before tee time and was told to hurry and get to the first tee. (Which is a 10 minute jaunt from clubhouse). Got hooked up 3 other pretty cool guys who were just as confused as me about getting tee time bumped up. Oh well after finally finding 1st tee we all 4 hit decent drives and were all around the green after approach shots. In 40 years of golfing these are probably the WORST greens I've played. The layout is cool but every green is burnt out and has what looked like rock salt grossly over used on all greens. We just took automatical 2 putts on all greens. Maybe check it out in a few weeks but for now , there's no need to even bring your putter. It'll take a little time to get your stroke back to normal after dealing with theses eyesores.

Going to the beach

I went to the beach with my family. Apparently this course must be considered the beach as well. There was more sand on the greens than there was grass. You have to drive a mile in the cart just to get to the first hole. And when you are finished with the first nine, good luck finding the next hole. The tee boxes were also very poor and not even level. You do get what you pay for. I paid $30. I guess in this area that should have told me something. But I took a risk.

Great price for a challenging course, but lacking amenities.

Our group was happy with the course at Bluewater Bay. We played the Marsh and Bay loops. Both offered challenging holes and great views of the bay along the way. Greens were rough , recently aerated maybe and covered in sand. Putting was tough on those greens.
No snack bar or any concessions during our Tuesday mid-day round so bring your own beverages and snacks if you need them. They do appear to have a restaurant but not open today.
Staff was friendly and accommodating.

Used to be better

First few times I played this course I loved it. Recently, the greens have been aweful and pace of play has been terrrible. I am not sure if it is new management, but course is going downhill and not worth playing anymore. Maybe the conditions will get better and I will make the trip there again.

Great Golf Value

Did not have high expectations based on reviews and hot deal price, but I was wrong. Nice layout that made you think about what tee shots you were going to hit. Fairways were in nice shape. Greens had been recently aerated and sanded (clearly advertised when I made my tee time, no secret) so they ran slow, but they ran really true and were receptive to approach shots and chips. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Their explanation of the route from #9 to #10 was spot on. This could be very confusing for an out of towner without their explanation. Will definitely be back on my next Destin trip. Best bang for the buck golf experience I’ve had!

Bluewater Bay Golf Course

Nice facility with super friendly staff. Mine was awesome. Course layout goes through a community so it was a bit confusing at times. Upkeep of course is great. Will play here again.

Great Bang for the Buck

As many have said:

1 - Staff is excellent, friendly and very accommodating
2 - Course layout is very nice and challenging.
3 - Condition of the fairways is pretty decent
4 - Greens were patchy on a few and slower than I expected but ran pretty true.
4 - Tee boxes are better than I expected based on the reviews but could use some improvement.

Keep in mind you are playing a $25 - 30 course when others in the area are $80+. You still have to hit all the shots and you will use most, if not all, clubs in your bag.

I will definitely play here again.

Junior Friendly

Amazing that junior golfers play for free! Very much appreciated! Grow the game!

Nice enough

The course must have been really something back in the day. Tall pines line the fairways while bunkers defend appropriately a few small greens. The bay appears a few times as a beautiful backdrop on a few holes. Shot makers can score here. Overall the course is in decent shape, but the upkeep off the fairways and around the tee boxes is shabby. Several greens are more sand than grass. Get a decent price and play it, but don’t expect a well kept golf course.

Overall great value

Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Offered free water or soda before teeing off and a couple times during our round. Fairways were in very good condition, tee boxes were mostly good. Greens were very good for the most part, a couple greens were completely covered in sand, but the other 16 were in fine shape. We found the course to be challenging but very playable for any skill level. Tee boxes offered distance choices for all skill levels also. This course was much better than a few I have played on this trip that cost almost twice as much. I would highly recommend this course if you are looking in the less than 50 dollar range. Also, we had no trouble finding our way from one hole to the next, although it is a bit of a drive from 9 to 10.

Plays Twice a year

Best hospitality Ever!!!

When we arrived the employee in the golf shop informed me that my 12 year old was free (in fact 16 and under are free)!!!
He saved me over $35. Not to mention that he also offered us our choice of soft drink or water for free in the clubhouse. The. On two more occasions he came by on his golf cart and gave us drinks for free! In over 30 plus years playing golf that has never happened to me!!!

Awesome customer service and hospitality, we plan to play again for sure, can’t beat the the savings of kids under 16 playing for free!!!

Thank you so much!!! May God bless you all!!

Military
Military
Semi-Private/Resort
Shalimar, Florida

Valid dates: Jun 06, 2017 - Jun 30, 2020
Let The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee create unforgettable Georgia vacations with packages that deliver adventure-filled weekend getaways, unrivaled golf outings or romantic escapes with your significant other.